Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

Inverter for Frig?

Have a Travel trailer that Refrigerator only runs on shore power or propane... put a safety valve on the propane... understand not good to travel with the propane on, but only option- or lose all my food. Was told that I could wire an inverter for just the refrigerator when traveling... any advice wiring this?... thanks
BMJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ1 View Post
Have a Travel trailer that Refrigerator only runs on shore power or propane... put a safety valve on the propane... understand not good to travel with the propane on, but only option- or lose all my food. Was told that I could wire an inverter for just the refrigerator when traveling... any advice wiring this?... thanks
I am not sure where you learned that it was not good to travel with your propane on. It is just fine and based on previous threads I would say most do.

There are rules/regulations and recommendations around fueling, tunnels, ferries, and other similar systems and having your propane systems on.

If you want to do an inverter, there are a few ways to do it. I am not sure what your level of wiring knowledge is. Basically your inverter needs to be as close to the batteries as possible and you need to use proper size wiring.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

I traveled at least 50,000 miles with propane on. This question was asked a few months ago. An unofficial tally was 75% travel with the refrigerator running on propane.

And just an FYI - the furnace uses a lot of propane while the refrigerator does not. The refrigerator uses very little propane.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #4

Our refrigerator 18cuft Norcold stays cold enough by itself for 4-5 of hours while traveling. Frozen stays frozen and beer is still cold. For real long trips we leave the propane on.
I tried with the inverter but the fridge draws some 50-60 amps from the battery while cooling so won't last that long, even with 380W solar installed as support.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #5

I have not seen a better method than driving with propane fridge on. Domestic fridges using an inverter suck (power) and almost everyone that I knoow that uses them have battery and power issues on longer trips. No way the 7 pin is charging the trailer fast enough vs the fridge consumption.

As mentioned, just follow common-sense rules for switching off in certain areas.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ1 View Post
We have a residential fridge in our Road Warrior toy hauler. It came from the factory as the set up but it is easy to install. Our unit has a dedicated inverter for the fridge.
Also from the inverter is a dedicated transfer switch that is plugged into the bottom of the inverter. The transfer switch is spliced into the power wire from the breaker box to the fridge.
Here is the following parts:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-CSW-TS.../dp/B01D4YXSW0

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-CSW101...H9VY5V9Q5X9H85

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-CSW-RS...1HGZ0JTK46NK18

Then you will also need a length of wire to go from breaker box to the transfer switch for AC power and use the original wiring from fridge to breaker box for the run from the transfer switch to the fridge outlet.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I have not seen a better method than driving with propane fridge on. Domestic fridges using an inverter suck (power) and almost everyone that I knoow that uses them have battery and power issues on longer trips. No way the 7 pin is charging the trailer fast enough vs the fridge consumption.

As mentioned, just follow common-sense rules for switching off in certain areas.
I have used the propane fridge on my camper for 30+ years. No issues. Except I have had a camper that the propane did not want to stay lite. It was a 3 way, so I ran it on 12v.

Yep, if you are counting on the 7 pin battery lead to keep your camper battery charged, it will not with that load. The fridge with interverter will deplete the camper battries and you will have a low battery when you arrive at your destination.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

turn the propane on and dont worry about it. over 90% of the owner dont care. I have never had a issue in well over 20,000 miles
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter