Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
IYou can get them with single rear wheels if you dont want duals.
In which case you give up all the additional load capacity of duals, so what's the point? A SRW '3500' usually has minimal additional capacity over a HD 2500 model as the limiting factor at that point isn't the vehicle but simply the capability of a single set of rear tires. If you need more capacity then a 2500 then there's really no way to get around the two extra tires, just a matter of physics.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #16

Thank you to all for your experienced opinions regarding my question.

Between that and reading the specs thoroughly we have come to the realization that a 1 ton dually would be the best fit in this case.

That being said we will be looking at the F350 SuperDuty DRW, 4x4, LWB, SuperCrew (4 Door) when it comes time to buy a new tow vehicle. We feel like this would allow us peace of mind and a safer experience when traveling with this rig.

Thanks again for all of your input.
Salty-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-Dawg View Post

Between that and reading the specs thoroughly we have come to the realization that a 1 ton dually would be the best fit in this case.

That being said we will be looking at the F350 SuperDuty DRW, 4x4, LWB, SuperCrew (4 Door) when it comes time to buy a new tow vehicle. We feel like this would allow us peace of mind and a safer experience when traveling with this rig.

Excellent choice. Looking forward to seeing the new TV when you get it.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-Dawg View Post

About 14 years ago I pulled a 36 foot King of the Road around the US with an F250. It was, as I now understand, not rated for that load. A year later I bought a Dodge 1 ton. Actually, I didn't notice much difference in handling and towing BUT if I were doing it again I'd have started with the heavier duty truck. I think your decision for the F350 is a good one.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would go with a one ton over a 3/4. You can get them with single rear wheels if you dont want duals.
A new F-350 SRW has GVWR of 11,500 pounds. A new F-350 DRW (a real one-ton dually) has GVWR of 14,000 pounds. You can haul a much heavier 5er with a DRW than an SRW without being overloaded. The limiter on the SRW is pin weight because GVWR is the limiter. But the limiter on the dually is gross combined weight of truck and trailer, limited by the GCWR. And GVWR on a new dually is plenty to haul any 5er that doesn't exceed the GCWR of the tow vehicle.

Keep those two terms, GVWR and GCWR separate in your thinking. They look similar, but they are completely different weight limits. GVWR indicates the pin weight the truck can haul without exceeding the weight limits of the suspension, tires and brakes of the truck. GCWR indicates the weight of a trailer the truck can pull at a reasonable speed up a steep mountain grade without overheating anything in the drivetrain. An F-250 PSD can pull a lot more trailer weight than it can haul the hitch weight of that trailer without being overloaded.

So an F-350 SRW is certainly a lot better than an F-250 for hauling pin weight without being overloaded with medium-sized 5ers that have GVWR up to around 12,500 pounds. But the F350 SRW doesn't come close to a real one-ton dually which can tow a 5er that grosses up to 18,500 pounds without being overloaded..
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What do you think? Read the fifth wheel towing specs.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
What do you think? Read the fifth wheel towing specs.
The fifth wheel towing specs (tow ratings) are misleading for SRW pickups because they are based GCWR and ignore GVWR. My '99.5 F-250 PSD had a Ford tow rating over 13,000 pounds, but it was overloaded with my 5er that grossed only 8,000 pounds. My F-150 has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but it's overloaded with my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds.

You can probably rely on the Ford tow ratings for a dually, but if you rely on them for an SRW, you are going to be overloaded when you get on the road.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
In which case you give up all the additional load capacity of duals, so what's the point? A SRW '3500' usually has minimal additional capacity over a HD 2500 model as the limiting factor at that point isn't the vehicle but simply the capability of a single set of rear tires. If you need more capacity then a 2500 then there's really no way to get around the two extra tires, just a matter of physics.
That is true but I know some older people who don't want the wide dully.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #23

Quote:

Me included for the past 16 years.
I was setting up my truck to my trailer today for the return trip of 3500 miles. Every movement I did to set up the trailer to truck I thought of how I would do it with a taller and wider truck. Not for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
But the realization is if you do not want a DRW, you need to step back and get a trailer within the ratings of the SRW truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #25

I have driven 4.3 million miles and IMHO a 250 isn't enough truck. I'd buy a 350 at least and probably a dually. 5th wheels pull like a sled. You'll be more comfortable.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #26

What the heck is a true 1 ton truck? One ton is only 2000 lbs last time I checked. They are all rated for something other than half ton, three quarter ton, and one ton. These nomenclatures go back 50 plus years. Today's 1500, 2500, 3500 trucks are in no way a 1/2, 3/4, 1ton. They are rated and capital of carrying more.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #27

The gvw keeps going up the newer the truck. I had a 90 1500 my boss had a 96 1500. His had a bigger gvw. Now I have a 07 2500 crew cab long box.boss got a 13 2500 crew cab long box. Basically the same truck. He has a bigger gvw.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #28

I have a grand design, Solitude. I did not want a drw so I went with a 2014, F250 Super Duty with a 6.7 diesel. The motor puts out 400 HP and 800 lbs of torque. I chose this tow vehicle because the F350 srw has the exact same tow capabilities as the F250 according to Ford. The fver weighs 12600 lbs empty with 3000 lbs cargo capabilities which adds up to 156000. Assuming that I would carry that much cargo I would still be able to handle that trailer, So far I have not been disappointed. I have also talked with other people who have the same setup and I have nothing but positive feedback.

Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote