Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #113

Honda Clarity - 'no advertising' is an understatement as I never even heard of it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Yes, the Clarity has been discontinued. There was speculation among owners as to whether or not it would be produced in 2020. Production continued through 2021. It was doomed from day one. There was no advertising. It was widely believed to be a compliance car that was a money loser for Honda. It is a sedan. Sedans don’t sell well. Ford recently discontinued a line of sedans. Throw in a chip shortage and the available chips will get used in profitable vehicles. None of that detracts from the value, practicality and versatility of the car.

Toyota introduced the RAV4 Prime, a PHEV that is selling like hotcakes. Jeep introduced a Wrangler PHEV last year and will begin selling a Grand Cherokee PHEV next year. The technology continues to be introduced and now it’s available in the top selling models. This does not indicate a move away from the technology.
Only reason those hybrids are being peddled is because Toyota, Honda and Stellantis are a decade behind in EV technology...they discredited it. They are now trying to catch up and massively invest, but this is the closest they have right now.

The Clarity was a marketing exercise and test, which never panned out and was a money pit for them.

I don't know how the RAV4 Prime sells like hotcakes, people have been waiting on them for 2 years and sometimes more now. They were behind even before the pandemic.
kdauto is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Only reason those hybrids are being peddled is because Toyota, Honda and Stellantis are a decade behind in EV technology...they discredited it. They are now trying to catch up and massively invest, but this is the closest they have right now.

The Clarity was a marketing exercise and test, which never panned out and was a money pit for them.

I don't know how the RAV4 Prime sells like hotcakes, people have been waiting on them for 2 years and sometimes more now. They were behind even before the pandemic.
People have actually been buying the RAV4 Prime. Many pay a premium over MSRP. In my book that is a vehicle that is in demand.

Good to hear that you are now an expert on the Clarity.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #116

I'm not interested in arguing this. Sorry you feel p-ed off, but facts are facts. I KNOW they are selling a bunch of RAV4 Prime, they just can't deliver. I have 2 customers waiting on them, and we almost went for one.

Once we discovered a 400km range for a pure EV, which is a lot simpler mechanically, our choice went towards that.

Trucks will lag behind a decade or more I'm pretty sure.

I could link a bunch of articles backing my claims, but there's no use. Of course you are correct, I know absolutely nothing about anything.
kdauto is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I'm not interested in arguing this. Sorry you feel p-ed off, but facts are facts. I KNOW they are selling a bunch of RAV4 Prime, they just can't deliver. I have 2 customers waiting on them, and we almost went for one.

Once we discovered a 400km range for a pure EV, which is a lot simpler mechanically, our choice went towards that.

Trucks will lag behind a decade or more I'm pretty sure.

I could link a bunch of articles backing my claims, but there's no use. Of course you are correct, I know absolutely nothing about anything.
I’m not upset at all. You’ve even said that RAV4 Primes are selling, people are waiting for them. It’s almost as if you’re arguing with yourself. It is a popular, in demand vehicle. Same with the Prius Prime. Simply because you chose an EV doesn’t mean that PHEV’s aren’t popular vehicles. It doesn’t mean that new PHEV’s aren’t being introduced.

Please, don’t put words in my mouth. Where did I imply that you know nothing?
Old 12-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #118

kdauto - I for one think you know a lot about a variety of vehicles...after all you work on them. Something most of do not do.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:26 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
So much for being skeptical about what you read on the internet.
I can appreciate actual hands-on experience and still be wary of what I read on the internet.
Ldubs is offline   Reply
Old 12-13-2021, 07:37 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I can appreciate actual hands-on experience and still be wary of what I read on the internet.
You sure can. I’m always skeptical when opinions are offered up as facts.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Honda Clarity - 'no advertising' is an understatement as I never even heard of it.
That just goes to show that no one can know everything.

What could be less than “no” advertising? The statement about no advertising is actually a slight overstatement. There was at least one TV ad which has been posted on a Clarity forum. There were also signs inside the dealership which promoted the availability of the $7500 tax credit.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #122

I have not looked at any Honda vehicle since 2005 as I switched to Nissan and Ford. I do know Nissan has (I think) a electric Leaf.

Can you believe I had a Honda Ridgeline, A F-150, a F-450 and now a gas powered F-250?
Old 12-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #123

[/QUOTE]Can you believe I had a Honda Ridgeline, A F-150, a F-450 and now a gas powered F-250?[/QUOTE]

No, I can't believe it.

Sorry, had to do it.
wildcatter is offline   Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #124

Ok back onto topic, after much interesting reading. Could we agree that an F-150 power would be equal to 2- Tesla p-100 d batteries @ 1200 lbs each for a total of 2400 lbs of storage.

That being said.

Then a F250 would be 3- p100 d batts @ 3600 lbs
Then a F350 would be 4 - p100 d batts @ 4800 lbs
Then a F450 would be 5 - p100 d batts @ 6000 lbs

Then that being said, are we in agreement this is how much energy it takes to get to 1 ton of pure insanity performance? @ 1 ton?

In current tech.

That is a 1/2 a Megawatt of storage.

: Lose the
Rears front & back
drive shafts
transfer case
Engine
Transmission

Electric motors on every wheel, all wheel drive all the time.

Just an insane amount of torque, pushing 2300 lbs.

Just a note, Diesel is only @ most 40% efficient, the rest is heat. Electric in DC is 90% efficient,,, looking for heat for the cab or batt.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Ok back onto topic, after much interesting reading. Could we agree that an F-150 power would be equal to 2- Tesla p-100 d batteries @ 1200 lbs each for a total of 2400 lbs of storage.

That being said.

Then a F250 would be 3- p100 d batts @ 3600 lbs
Then a F350 would be 4 - p100 d batts @ 4800 lbs
Then a F450 would be 5 - p100 d batts @ 6000 lbs

Then that being said, are we in agreement this is how much energy it takes to get to 1 ton of pure insanity performance? @ 1 ton?

In current tech.
No idea. But there is some conjecture out there that the Tesla semi has between a 600 to 800 watt battery. I’m sure there is some math formula out there, but it’s above my pay scale. .
radar is offline   Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #126

It comes down to power to weight divided by time to recharge.

Time is on this techs,, side /vs cost.

And guess where it gets to recharge, any campground in USA 50 amp pestistal.

The original 50 amp double pole supercharger.
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, diesel