Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #71

If you get in an accident, I hope you have a lot of money because your insurance won’t cover you, and you’ll be found at fault. I guess it’s ok if you don’t mind losing your home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
If you get in an accident, I hope you have a lot of money because your insurance won’t cover you, and you’ll be found at fault. I guess it’s ok if you don’t mind losing your home.
Please cite a single case where this has happened. People spew this out as fact and it is in fact, false. If you speed and get in an accident, insurance will still cover you. Why do people still put out this misinformation?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #73

For all you sticker zealots, please take the time to explain which weight rating applies to an F-350 that I chose to purchase with a 10,000 lbs GVWR vs. the 11,400 lbs GVWR. Exact same truck, I picked the sticker. Clearly, the truck can handle 11,400 lbs GVWR, but the sticker says 10,000 lbs.

Pretty simple answer.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #74

I’m not “weighing in” on this one!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #75

I can’t sight a case, as like virtually everyone, I don’t read the legal Digest every day and search insUrance litigation. However, I have read my Progressive insurance policy, and there is an exclusion for things such as owner neglect, exceeding manufacturer specifications and limitations, and operating outside of legal limits. They might pay, but they may not have to, depending on the. Circumstances. I was in the life insurance business for a number of years, and life policies would not pay if you commit suicide. Same thing. Insurance companies don’t take unnecessary risks. And, towing beyond manufacturer specs is one of them. Just my opinion. Maybe you can sight some cases where insurance did pay when owner was over GVWR.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #76

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
First the definition of GVWR
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM), is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers, and cargo but excluding that of trailers. The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_weight

Seems like a very simple definition but it seems to be a lot of confusion about the mean of GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). You notice the definition says “maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle” and includes “vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids”. There are two main parts to GVWR which are GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) and the chassis ratings which is basically everything else like chassis, frame, springs, drive train, and etc. To determine GVWR you have to consider the weakest link between the axle ratings and the chassis ratings and the weakest link between the two is the GVWR which is the “Max Operating Weight/Mass”.

The NTEA gives an easy to understand how the GVWR is assigned to vehicles using both the “Chassis Rating” and the “Axle Ratings” and that axle rating is only one part of the GVWR and the safe operation of your truck.

There’s a common misconception that a truck’s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, it’s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer's task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to the advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It’s not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.
https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_ben...k_trucks1.aspx

Some vehicles like my Class A motorhome had a chassis rating that exceed the axle ratings. My motorhome has 24,000 and 12,500 axle ratings which account for 36,500 pound GVWR but my chassis ratings according to the Freightliner is over 50,000 pounds so the axles are the weakest link and becomes the GVWR. This is not the case on a light-duty truck where the GVWR is less than the axle ratings and is because the chassis is the weakest link.

I’m sure you have read that post that all they are worried about is getting a ticket for being overweight but operating a safe vehicle being over the manufacture chassis ratings or axle ratings should be your top concern not getting a ticket.

I am sure you have heard just buy more payloads from the DVM. Nevada seems to be one of the states that people claim you can do this. The truth is the DMV will sell you enough payload equal Class 8 18 wheeler. I called the Nevada DMV and ask about the additional payload trumps manufacture ratings and they couldn’t answer the question. I got a call back from the legal department and they stated that it was administrative only and does not change any of the ratings of your truck you still must stay within what he called the “door tags” I also verified this with Washington state.

I also read that GVWR is just for warranty. If I was in the warranty claims department I would like to know that the chassis component is being operated above the GVWR “maximum operating weight”.

I did a quick search of the 2021 Ford user manual and towing guides and found 17 occurrences of the statement below:
“The addition of trailer kingpin load weight, and the weight of passengers and cargo, must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label”
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

I'm just not sure how much clearer Ford could make it that don't exceed the GVWR.

Below are graphics from the Ford Towing Guides from the link above. The most profound statement is

“Remember that the GVWR and the GAWR are found on the vehicles Safety Compliance Certification Label. If either of those limits is exceeded, you should go with a larger vehicle or a smaller trailer.

I think I have posted enough links to reliable sources to support staying within both the GVWR and GAWR. How much more reliable than the manufacture that did the designed work and built the vehicles and did the testing on them.
I’m sure a lot of forum members are going to challenge the information above but ask them is that their opinion or is based on fact and if so would they provide a link to the information and not just believe me because I know best.

Lot of words that seem to be trying to avoid the obvious answer...No it is not safe to exceed GVWR.

Do you consider it "safe" to exceed the Maximum load capacity of a tire?

Bolts have published Maximum Torque specs. Do you wan an engine built where the torque specs were exceeded?
Old 09-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #77

Weight and mass are not the same and not interchangeable. A 1 kg copper ball has the same mass even when “weightless” as in earth orbit. But the weight in orbit and the weight on earth, or the weight on the moon are all different. This is important to consider should anyone take their RV to the moon.

Deetsmaggie
DeetsMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Worked in Air transportation, you would be surprised. ACL’s can be increased on certain flights with approval.

I am on the common sense side here, but it seems the more educated we get, the less we have.
Not the same thing.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Long question, short answer. NO!
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
For all you sticker zealots, please take the time to explain which weight rating applies to an F-350 that I chose to purchase with a 10,000 lbs GVWR vs. the 11,400 lbs GVWR. Exact same truck, I picked the sticker. Clearly, the truck can handle 11,400 lbs GVWR, but the sticker says 10,000 lbs.

Pretty simple answer.
In some Canadian provinces towing in excess of the tow vehicles GVWR will earn you a ticket; and you must park the trailer until you obtain a legal tow vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #81

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
but SRW vs DRW (Duallie)= 2680x2= 5360 (SINGLE TIRE REAR AXLE) VS 2470X4= 9,880 (Duallie AXLE)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #82

Quote:
Do you consider it "safe" to exceed the Maximum load capacity of a tire?

Bolts have published Maximum Torque specs. Do you wan an engine built where the torque specs were exceeded?
Roger ...thats a poor analogy and doesn't fit a truck mfg gvwr ratings which can be whatever he chooses up to and including the sum of the trucks GAWRs.
As some of us has been saying (example) Fords F350 srw has several gvwrs from 10k up to 11500 lbs for the same exact truck.
Same can be said for certain model Fords F150 trucks or even certain models from GM and Dodge/Ram trucks.

Someone asked why Ford has so many GVWR for the same F350srw truck.
,Reasons can be registration or licensing....mfg excise taxes....or warranty issues and other reasons from LDT mfg that lay persons don't know or probably never will.

I've been around LDT size trucking since the early '60s and have never heard of a LDT from Ford/Dodge RAM/GM that gvwr matched the trucks gvwr as NETA mentions. Now higher class truck ...yes.
However DOT weight laws can use the sum of the vehicle GAWRs as the trucks gvwr. Its legal and more importantly its safe. NTEA has no input on DOT motor vehicle weight laws.
Why does dot allow the sum of the gawrs as a gvwr. A trucks frame is designed around the gawrs.

Is it safe to exceed a GVWR ? Its safe to use the sum of the vehicle GAWR as a gvw or gvwr as the case may be so its certainly not unsafe to exceed a truck mfg gvwr.
Just stay under rawr for carrying a rv trailer hitch load... or a truck camper. Doing so ensures no dot tickets....or civil lawsuits.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
No, it is not safe to go over the GVWR. I don't care if it is legal or not...simply it is not safe.
Describe in detail how loading an F-250 with a GVWR of 8800lbs to 9500lbs is "not safe", while loading an F-350 SRW with a 9900lb GWVR to 9500lbs is "safe". Be specific.

Note that aside from badging, the door jamb decal, and 1.5" lower rear spring spacers, the trucks are bolt for bolt identical in each and every way. They have the same springs, axles, brakes, tires, shocks, etc.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #84

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Per RVUSA.com

Our Forest River FR3 30DS specs:
GWVR - 18,000 lbs
Weight/Payload capacity - 2,530 lbs

So am I safe at 18,000 + 2,530 = 20,530 lbs?
Or, is the FR3 weight without Weight/Payload 18,000 - 2,530 = 15,470 lbs?
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote