Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is It Safe to Exceed The GVWR

First the definition of GVWR
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM), is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers, and cargo but excluding that of trailers. The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_weight

Seems like a very simple definition but it seems to be a lot of confusion about the mean of GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). You notice the definition says “maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle” and includes “vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids”. There are two main parts to GVWR which are GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) and the chassis ratings which is basically everything else like chassis, frame, springs, drive train, and etc. To determine GVWR you have to consider the weakest link between the axle ratings and the chassis ratings and the weakest link between the two is the GVWR which is the “Max Operating Weight/Mass”.

The NTEA gives an easy to understand how the GVWR is assigned to vehicles using both the “Chassis Rating” and the “Axle Ratings” and that axle rating is only one part of the GVWR and the safe operation of your truck.

There’s a common misconception that a truck’s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, it’s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer's task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to the advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It’s not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.
https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_ben...k_trucks1.aspx

Some vehicles like my Class A motorhome had a chassis rating that exceed the axle ratings. My motorhome has 24,000 and 12,500 axle ratings which account for 36,500 pound GVWR but my chassis ratings according to the Freightliner is over 50,000 pounds so the axles are the weakest link and becomes the GVWR. This is not the case on a light-duty truck where the GVWR is less than the axle ratings and is because the chassis is the weakest link.

I’m sure you have read that post that all they are worried about is getting a ticket for being overweight but operating a safe vehicle being over the manufacture chassis ratings or axle ratings should be your top concern not getting a ticket.

I am sure you have heard just buy more payloads from the DVM. Nevada seems to be one of the states that people claim you can do this. The truth is the DMV will sell you enough payload equal Class 8 18 wheeler. I called the Nevada DMV and ask about the additional payload trumps manufacture ratings and they couldn’t answer the question. I got a call back from the legal department and they stated that it was administrative only and does not change any of the ratings of your truck you still must stay within what he called the “door tags” I also verified this with Washington state.

I also read that GVWR is just for warranty. If I was in the warranty claims department I would like to know that the chassis component is being operated above the GVWR “maximum operating weight”.

I did a quick search of the 2021 Ford user manual and towing guides and found 17 occurrences of the statement below:
“The addition of trailer kingpin load weight, and the weight of passengers and cargo, must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label”
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

I'm just not sure how much clearer Ford could make it that don't exceed the GVWR.

Below are graphics from the Ford Towing Guides from the link above. The most profound statement is

“Remember that the GVWR and the GAWR are found on the vehicles Safety Compliance Certification Label. If either of those limits is exceeded, you should go with a larger vehicle or a smaller trailer.

I think I have posted enough links to reliable sources to support staying within both the GVWR and GAWR. How much more reliable than the manufacture that did the designed work and built the vehicles and did the testing on them.
I’m sure a lot of forum members are going to challenge the information above but ask them is that their opinion or is based on fact and if so would they provide a link to the information and not just believe me because I know best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weight all.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	343032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weight-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	343033  

Name:	weight-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	343034  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
From GMs Webpage
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/...-weight-rating
“Failure to do so may result in you exceeding the GVWR and overloading your vehicle.
Overloading your truck or SUV can carry severe consequences, including:
Broken springs and suspension components due to excess weight
Brakes unable to stop the truck or SUV in a timely manner
Transmission and other driveline components may overheat and sustain serious damage
Unusual suspension behavior, making the vehicle hard to control*
Tire temperatures rising to elevated levels, potentially leading to a blowout”

From Curt Hitches Website
https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity
“What happens if you exceed GVWR?
Exceeding the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of any vehicle may cause serious damage to the vehicle’s frame, suspension, axles, wheels and other systems. The GVWR is intended to be a maximum weight limit to protect the life of your vehicle.
Attempting to drive with an overloaded vehicle is a serious safety hazard to the driver, passengers and other vehicles on the road.”

These are just samples and I won’t bore you with more links.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #3

Overloading is not a good idea but you can get away with it once in a while if you go slow enough and drive over real smooth roads. Not recommended for towing an RV.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #4

I ran 200 lbs over GVWR for 5+ years. 200 lbs is nothing so I suppose it matters by how much. Also my truck was the same as a 3500 except for the rear leafs. So the only issue were the rear leafs. Timbrens fixed that.

I was still under the RAWR and Tow rating. I think a little common sense goes a long way.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

Seems OCD going on...........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Is It Safe to Exceed The GVWR
I've been doing it in one form or another for over 35 years. Common sense will get you everywhere when applied to the situation.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems to be a run on weight questions.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #8

No, it is not safe to go over the GVWR. I don't care if it is legal or not...simply it is not safe.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No it is not safe to go over it. But it sounds like you are baseing it on the hitch. I would check the owner manual and find out what you are safe towing. It my just be an aftermarket hitch that rating has nothen to do with the chassis tow specifications, which is common.

But if the hitch manufacture is listing its limit, why would you go over it? It could be the chassis has higher limits and you could swap out the hitch for a higher limit. Or, it could be the chassis manufacture has lower limits and you should use the chassis limits. Use whichever is less.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
No, it is not safe to go over the GVWR. I don't care if it is legal or not...simply it is not safe.
Example:
Two Ford SuperDuty single rear wheel pickups that are identical.
One is an F-250 with a GVWR of 10000lbs
One is an F-350 with a GVWR of 11500lbs
Keep in mind that these are the exact same truck from the factory. Same axles, brakes, springs, etc...
This is a real world example of a difference that is laid out on paper as posted on the yellow stickers.
So... is it safe to run the F-250 the same as the F-350? Yes it is.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

Should we believe Ford or you? There’s an 890lb difference on the rear axle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3BB3E508-056E-4CC7-94B7-18BB5FFC7B4F.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	343065  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #12

The original question was... "is it safe"
I'm talking about an F-250 and an F-350 SRW with the exact same axle (yes, they exist).
HINT:
The F-250 will always have a 10000lb GVWR limit from the factory.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
The original question was... "is it safe"
I'm talking about an F-250 and an F-350 SRW with the exact same axle (yes, they exist).
HINT:
The F-250 will always have a 10000lb GVWR limit from the factory.
My question was: “Should we believe Ford or you?” Now I’ll add: If you, why?

F-250’s haven’t always had a 10K GVWR, and they probably won’t always have that rating. Should every 250 owner assume that their truck has a 350 axle?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #14

I don't care - it is not safe
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote