Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #29

The Dodge dually supposedly has the highest rating and that is 30,000 lbs COMBINED weight. My Ram 2500 weighs in at 7300 and I'd guess the newer motor is heavier, so yeah, almost 10,000 for truck - leaving 20,000 lbs towed. 2 to 1 BUT advertised as 5th wheel / gooseneck!
I'm allowed 13500 lbs towing capacity, per my older Ram and at 7300 lbs that is under 2 to 1 by 1,100 lbs. About 1.8 to 1.
My trailer empty was about 6800 and with MINIMUM stuff, about 7200 lbs, my 1500 GMC was struggling with it in flat land of Florida. 65 mph MAX to feel comfortable and 60 was better! Moved to a 2500 and it is my daily driver too, but I am so much more comfortable towing loaded to 11,500 weighed, with toys in the garage! Been to Cherokee, NC with it already and I don't regret getting a 2500 for my trailer.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #30

Is trailer weight or length more important?

Interesting to see the Hensley/ProPride hitch explained with legos. Simple and impressive.

https://youtu.be/v2otJAgYiTo
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
So I’m looking at grand design trailers. Reflection 312bhts which is 9500 pounds dry and the imagine 3150bh which is roughly 7500 pounds dry. Both are around 35 feet long. ... Am i off base by thinking the heavier the better when it comes to handling?
You are off base by not staying within the manufactures published towing limits of your vehicle...
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...de_r6_Nov8.pdf

Quote:
Didn’t want to get into the tow vehicle debate. I’ve towed a same length travel trailer for a season with a less capable half ton with no problems. ....
No problems....thankfully none that caused injury to anyone due to your willingly and knowingly exceeding the vehicle capability..as to the unseen problem to the vehicle by overloading perhaps "yet" should be added to your statement.

Quote:
I’ve looked hard at these. Would you be more comfortable pushing weight limits with one? .
No one, including yourself should be comfortable in exceeding the weight limits published by the manufacture and by doing so you are acknowledging all liability for any injures or damage due to your negligence .

Quote:
All valid common sense points. Unfortunately the only 1 ton that will fit in my garage is a RAM. That and i don’t really want to drive a big truck every day when i pull a camper 4-6 times a year.
You have acknowledge that it is common sense you need a larger vehicle, and that there is a solution that would work for your situation, but you still think it's alright to subject everyone that shares the road with you those 4-6 times per year to the endangerment of your actions.

I'm not a lawyer, not in that filed at all but these simple post that you have made would be great evidence in a court of law should anything ever happen... it's simple math and common sense
Old 03-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
You are off base by not staying within the manufactures published towing limits of your vehicle...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...de_r6_Nov8.pdf

No problems....thankfully none that caused injury to anyone due to your willingly and knowingly exceeding the vehicle capability..as to the unseen problem to the vehicle by overloading perhaps "yet" should be added to your statement.

No one, including yourself should be comfortable in exceeding the weight limits published by the manufacture and by doing so you are acknowledging all liability for any injures or damage due to your negligence .

You have acknowledge that it is common sense you need a larger vehicle, and that there is a solution that would work for your situation, but you still think it's alright to subject everyone that shares the road with you those 4-6 times per year to the endangerment of your actions.

I'm not a lawyer, not in that filed at all but these simple post that you have made would be great evidence in a court of law should anything ever happen... it's simple math and common sense

Thanks for your and everyone else’s insight.

After much debate we have decided to trade my truck for a F450 so we won’t have to use a scientific calculator to figure out what we can tow. On top of that going with a ProPride hitch for good measure.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #33

Quote:
All valid common sense points. Unfortunately the only 1 ton that will fit in my garage is a RAM. That and i don’t really want to drive a big truck every day when i pull a camper 4-6 times a year.

Oh. Well... you should have said that sooner. Since the correct truck won’t fit in your garage, any undersized and insufficient truck will do! The trailer will understand and will not cause you any problems.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, weight