Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlumber View Post
Thanks so much you guys.
I've been looking at trucks almost all day trying to decide on what motor in a 250. Then it hit me. I don't care if the v8 doesn't pull awesomely. I just want to be able to keep up with traffic on a semi grade. It will be my daily driver but then again I only put 3000 milers on my daily driver last year.
I'm looking hard at the Ford 7.3 and think its going to pull the 9,800 pds wet 5er fine. I'm also considering the 6.2 coyote. I want luxury inside the cabin. Again I just don't want to be under powered. Not being able to kick butt is OK. I want to be safe. The 6.7 diesel engine compartment is scary. All the emission rhetoric re diesel is of a concern.
Under 10k lbs? Any of the bigger engined gassers will pull that without issue. My "weak" 6.0 gas is pulling 13k lbs and pushing the 7500lb dually all the time, even with my 3:73 gears.

Unless you feel every trip and hill is a race, you'll be fine with a modern gas engine.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #44

I appreciate the responses very much. The 3-4 k miles I drive a year will be added to because now we will drive to the vacation spot vs cruising to it. Thanks again
ThePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
So I guess EVERYONE needs to dump their rides and go diesel then?

No my man. But if you like the sound of a diesel rattle and pulling a long grade at 1,600 RPM rather than 4,000 RPM, a diesel's not a bad choice.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #46

I'm a little late to the party but I saw a few references to the Ford 7.3L

I have a 2020 F350 with the 7.3L SRW 3.73 4x4 crew cab long bed lariat 11400 GVW. This truck has 3859 lbs payload capacity and a tow rating of 15,900 lbs. Towing would have been 20,000 if I'd ordered the 4.3 axle.

As of yesterday, we have Winnebago 2932RL 5th wheel. The empty weight of my unit is 10158lbs with a 16k GVW. I expect we will use a third to half of that 6000 lbs cargo capacity in the trailer. That will keep me below 80% of tow rating and well within my truck's payload capacity.

My towing experience with this rig is a total of 105 miles combined from the dealer to a school near my house for some backing practice, then to the storage lot for a lot more backing practice getting it into the slot. The drive was half rolling hills in southern Michigan and half on the interstate. I did approach 4000 rpm a few times maintaining 55mph on some of the hills and the on-ramp to I-94. At 63 mph on the highway (flatlands) it was running in 10th gear at 1300rpm a lot of the time. Occasionally it shifted down to 8th.

Towing a 5th wheel was a new experience for me. I was amazed at how little I felt it back there when the trucks went past and blasted me. I knew it was there when braking and accelerating and the ride feel was a little different, but overall a better experience than I expected.

Eventually we will experience mountains, but so far, so good in the flatlands.
Tim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
I'm a little late to the party but I saw a few references to the Ford 7.3L

I have a 2020 F350 with the 7.3L SRW 3.73 4x4 crew cab long bed lariat 11400 GVW. This truck has 3859 lbs payload capacity and a tow rating of 15,900 lbs. Towing would have been 20,000 if I'd ordered the 4.3 axle.

As of yesterday, we have Winnebago 2932RL 5th wheel. The empty weight of my unit is 10158lbs with a 16k GVW. I expect we will use a third to half of that 6000 lbs cargo capacity in the trailer. That will keep me below 80% of tow rating and well within my truck's payload capacity.

My towing experience with this rig is a total of 105 miles combined from the dealer to a school near my house for some backing practice, then to the storage lot for a lot more backing practice getting it into the slot. The drive was half rolling hills in southern Michigan and half on the interstate. I did approach 4000 rpm a few times maintaining 55mph on some of the hills and the on-ramp to I-94. At 63 mph on the highway (flatlands) it was running in 10th gear at 1300rpm a lot of the time. Occasionally it shifted down to 8th.

Towing a 5th wheel was a new experience for me. I was amazed at how little I felt it back there when the trucks went past and blasted me. I knew it was there when braking and accelerating and the ride feel was a little different, but overall a better experience than I expected.

Eventually we will experience mountains, but so far, so good in the flatlands.
Thanks, great little snippet of info here about where your rpms were. Right now it's the Ford 250 diesel or 7.3 gasser. I really enjoy my work trucks diesel. But its going to be a combo grocery getter, Going to church and getaways here and there. Not loaded to the gills like my work truck. I'm thinking if I can get up a hill at a safe speed and cruise the interstate at 63 at 1300 rpms I'll be good. Your dry weight is a tad over what my wet weight can be. So a great example. I saw a stunning 250 lariat with tow package for 60. Had 1200 miles. 2 pictures and a statement of he wants a long bed. Sticker was 64 with 2500 in mods. Has anyone heard of great deals on a f250 recently. One time I used a post on a forum to get a good deal at a car lot.
Thanks again. You guys have been a great help.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
No my man. But if you like the sound of a diesel rattle and pulling a long grade at 1,600 RPM rather than 4,000 RPM, a diesel's not a bad choice.
The diesel engine is preety cool. It's amazing how much power comes by barely touching the accelerator.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:34 AM   #49

If you test drive the 2020 Ford diesel you will think it can't get any better. A few things I like about Ford is the push button start and key pad. I use the key pad all the time. Push button start allows you to keep the key fob in your pocket.

In 2020 Ford uses a electric assist steering which makes the truck easier to drive. It tracks better going down the highway too.

If you have the time look for a F-350 SRW with an 8' bed which makes towing a 5th wheel a lot easier. Oh, also the factory 5th wheel prep package.

If you are going to drive the truck more maybe diesel would be ok. Lots of power would make towing your 5th wheel a breeze.

I like the mid level Lariat trim package with the Lariat Ultimate Package.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Thanks, great little snippet of info here about where your rpms were. Right now it's the Ford 250 diesel or 7.3 gasser. I really enjoy my work trucks diesel. But its going to be a combo grocery getter, Going to church and getaways here and there. Not loaded to the gills like my work truck. I'm thinking if I can get up a hill at a safe speed and cruise the interstate at 63 at 1300 rpms I'll be good. Your dry weight is a tad over what my wet weight can be. So a great example. I saw a stunning 250 lariat with tow package for 60. Had 1200 miles. 2 pictures and a statement of he wants a long bed. Sticker was 64 with 2500 in mods. Has anyone heard of great deals on a f250 recently. One time I used a post on a forum to get a good deal at a car lot.

Thanks again. You guys have been a great help.

If you put low miles on it, get the extended warranty on the diesel. You’ll pay more for it, but resale will be a whole lot better than on a gas truck.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
If you put low miles on it, get the extended warranty on the diesel. You’ll pay more for it, but resale will be a whole lot better than on a gas truck.
Resale more because the truck has an extended warranty?
Do you know where to find out how much the warranty costs, or better yet, what is a doable good deal? I bought the extended on my work diesel but have forgotten, that was over 4 years ago. 5 more payments on that bad boy.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Resale more because the truck has an extended warranty?

Do you know where to find out how much the warranty costs, or better yet, what is a doable good deal? I bought the extended on my work diesel but have forgotten, that was over 4 years ago. 5 more payments on that bad boy.

No, because it’s a diesel motor. Get the extended warranty in case the emissions equipment starts acting up. Most extended warranties are pro-rated. I got money back on the last vehicle I traded in that had an extended warranty.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
No, because it’s a diesel motor. Get the extended warranty in case the emissions equipment starts acting up. Most extended warranties are pro-rated. I got money back on the last vehicle I traded in that had an extended warranty.
Good call. I almost forgot about that on my Acura. Took about 8 weeks to get my money.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:14 AM   #54

Carolina Campers
We got an F450. I’d rather have a beast of a truck than worry about stopping what I’m towing. Yes, it’s a pain if wanting to sightsee in small towns but on the other hand, we have no problems towing and stopping our rig.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
We got an F450. I’d rather have a beast of a truck than worry about stopping what I’m towing. Yes, it’s a pain if wanting to sightsee in small towns but on the other hand, we have no problems towing and stopping our rig.
I'm with you. My F450 pulls my 24000 lb. MS like a dream. If I were in the ops position I would consider the F350. If buying new and all options are the same there is only $900 difference between a 250 and a 350
Old 07-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #56

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
I'm with you. My F450 pulls my 24000 lb. MS like a dream. If I were in the ops position I would consider the F350. If buying new and all options are the same there is only $900 difference between a 250 and a 350
We couldn’t find a used F350 in our area...they just were not available so we opted for the F450. Glad we got it over the 350, better turning radius.