Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I disagree. It's time for operators to be responsible. Responsible operators will seek out training. A quick web search will result in enough data that anyone should be fully knowledgeable of the requirements to safely tow a trailer. Most new vehicles that can be factory equipped with a trailer towing package have a whole section o their manual or a separate manual on towing. I suspect trailer manufactures likely provide similar.

I'm not a fan of tax stamps oherwise called license. I would much rather have someone that takes responsibility for they are doing.
It would be great if everyone took responsibility for their actions, bit we all know this does not happen.

We do need some training on properly towing a trailer and the proper set up. Same for motorhomes. It is not simply jump in and drive off like a car.

As for the internet, there is a lot of misinformation out there and how can a newbie know what to believe and what to ignore.

If people fear the requirement for a license requirement for and RV, it is very likely that they feel that they could not pass the requirements. In which case, they need to forget about RVing or take a training/certification course. Way too often we see people pulling a large trailer or driving a large motorhome that a simply unsafe.

We have been RVing since 1984 and some things were learned the hard way. I am sure that there are some things that we do that could take some improvement with a trailer safety course.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #142

I think it is more trusting the licensure.

When I went to get my non-CDL class A it went something like this:
May I help you?
Yes, I would like to get a class A license.
A CDL?
No, a non-CDL class A.
No such thing.
Actually there is.
(He goes to look in the book, keep in mind one guy for 2 state run locations.)
(Comes back)
Why do you need a class A?
....sigh.... Because my combined weight is greater than 26000 pounds.
What vehicle is yours?
??? Excuse me?
What vehicle do you drive?
A 2011 Ford F350 dually.
That can not tow that much? What does the tag in the door say is the gross weight of the vehicle?
No the tag inside the door has a gross weight.
It can't a 450 maybe, but a 350 does not, it is on the tag that says GVWR.
13300. Would you like to see a picture of the tag?
No I need the actual tag information.
????????
(Thankfully the road test administrator was there and spoke up.)
Is that your large crew cab pickup, the white one?
(Me still dumbfounded) Yes...
That will gross combined over 26000.

Permit issued. Thankfully when you test you do not talk to the same gentleman that the state has determined is qualified to determine licensing requirements.

My father who got all of the classes available while serving. (Commercial, passenger endorsement, motorcycle...)
Oregon told him a Non-CDL Class A was not required for his 40' Allegro bus..... I do not live in Oregon so I suppose it is possible.....
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After towing trailers and having class a mohos I think anytime you tow anything heavier than the tow vehicle you only have partial control. If you check the amount of weight you have on the back of the truck often and make sure the trucks tow ratings are within range you are as safe as you can be.
I'm against giving any more responsibility to those clowns in DC.
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #144

You know I had no idea this thead was still alive. I didn't read every post but the #1 rule should be never believe the sales person.

I was at an RV show earlier this year and had the owner of a dealership argue with me that my F250 was more than enough vehicle to pull the 5th wheel we happened to be in. I don't remember the numbers exactly but it wasn't even close. He said I do it all the time. I said that doesn't mean it's correct or safe. He was actually pissed off that I had challenged him.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I like the idea of the insurance industry offering discounts for completing safety training. Keep the govt. out of it. Just another thing to stand in their lines for if they get involved.
My insurance co. Gave me 56$ discount when I got my class B,...
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post

My insurance co. Gave me 56$ discount when I got my class B,...
Interesting. Had a commercial for years and never got a discount. Gave it up 2 years ago. Now have a MH. Ya, what was I thinking.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #147

I've towed my trailer with water and without ..... Huge difference and my tank is up front!! If your tank is behind axles, 100% engineering fail!!!!!
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #148

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Kampers View Post
I've towed my trailer with water and without ..... Huge difference and my tank is up front!! If your tank is behind axles, 100% engineering fail!!!!!
You know you are posting on a thread that is over 3 years old?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #149

#newbie
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #150

I would say putting 49 gallon water tank in the back of a trailer is a dumb idea. Perhaps, provided your bedroom stuff roughly balances the content of the kitchen cabinets, you had only a few hundred pounds of hitch weigh remaining.

V-nose design does not provide any downward pressure when towing, in fact it invites wind to cause sway

The Yukon on the picture looks very old school, notorious for soft suspension, soft and high profile tires, long rear overhang, lack of electronic trailer sway control. I would not care too much what towing capacity they state, it is based on small utility trailer with sand or gravel, has nothing to do with TT towing