RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Just making sure

Just bought a 2016 F-250 6.7L diesel. I will be towing my 5th wheel with electric brakes. I am looking at the MSRP window sticker and one thing listed is "TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLER". Also under Optional Equipment is CAMPER PACKAGE and FIXED PAYLOAD PACKAGE. Not sure what those entail. My 2004 F-250 has an after market Trailer Brake Controller mounted on the lower dash. So, for piece of mind, is the TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLER on my new truck activating the trailer brakes when I push the brake pedal? Kind of sounds like it but I want to make sure. Also there are 7 pin sockets mounted on the inside of the bed and on the rear bumper.
Thanks, Friz
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Yup. You habe the 5th wheel prep package. The brake controller is in the dash.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Just bought a 2016 F-250 6.7L diesel. I will be towing my 5th wheel with electric brakes. I am looking at the MSRP window sticker and one thing listed is "TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLER". Also under Optional Equipment is CAMPER PACKAGE and FIXED PAYLOAD PACKAGE. Not sure what those entail. My 2004 F-250 has an after market Trailer Brake Controller mounted on the lower dash. So, for piece of mind, is the TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLER on my new truck activating the trailer brakes when I push the brake pedal? Kind of sounds like it but I want to make sure. Also there are 7 pin sockets mounted on the inside of the bed and on the rear bumper.
Thanks, Friz
Yes it will. A 7 way tester can be used to make sure you have current back there. They are like $10 on Amazon.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Factory brake controllers are very common now. My 2011 F-150 had one from the factory. My 2012 F-450 had a factory brake controller and now my 2017 F-250 has the factory brake controller. It is by your right knee when sitting in the drivers seat.

Here is what your brake controller looks like in your Ford - this is a picture from my 2017 Ford F-250.

All the Ford trucks I have had (3) the brake controller was identical from 2011 to 2017.

Agree with checking voltage as there was a fuse missing from the fuse box that was in the glove box when I bought a new truck. It was not installed at the dealer. Lucky I looked in the glove box before I bought the truck and saw the fuse. The toughest thing was figuring out where to plug in the fuse.

It is at the bottom of this picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201127_133302.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	309486
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Too cool! I sure do have one. Thanks all for the help and tuffr2 for the photo.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #6

Look at the payload of your truck and the GVWR. I am thinking the 'Camper Package' and 'Fixed Payload Package' are good to have. The GVWR of your truck might be 10,800 lbs. Instead of the standard 10,000lbs that is kinda standard on a F-250.

And welcome to a world where most trucks now come with a factory brake controller. Yes, it will send electricity to the 7 pin connector when you press the brake pedal. But again check to make sure the fuse is ok.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote