Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Keystone toy hauler opinions?

Me and my wife went a looked at a carbon 348 toy hauler yesterday. We really love the floor plan and overall loved the camper. It seems to be of slightly higher quality then some of the other brands we've walked around on. We owned a heartland product as our last camper and I really thought it was a total piece if junk over all. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with these toy haulers? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Weve got a fuzion. Its stapled together particle board, i fix things as we go but we do love it. The floor plan is great. All of the problems weve had have been cosmetic except the incommand screen just crapped out last week. That has a lifetime warranty so im not that upset about it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Thank you for the time and it looks like I put this in the wrong section lol. Well cosmetic things from time to time isn't the end of the world.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #4

I have a 2013 Keystone travel trailer that is ok. No major problems and everything still works. It is not screwed and glued together like I would like. But Keystone is probably as good as others. Especially since you said Heartland was junk whick is somewhat surprising as I thought Heartland was one of the better brands but I guess not.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a 2013 Keystone travel trailer that is ok. No major problems and everything still works. It is not screwed and glued together like I would like. But Keystone is probably as good as others. Especially since you said Heartland was junk whick is somewhat surprising as I thought Heartland was one of the better brands but I guess not.
Im pretty sure heartland is owned by the same parent company.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

Agree they are owed by the same parent company but sometimes the parent company is hands off and sometimes they are bean counters that cut every corner they can.

A long time ago now I was at the Tampa RV Show, the big one. Anyway I was told that the Heartland Landmark was built better with stronger material than the Crossroads Redwood 5th wheel. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd year for the Redwood, back when it was the new kid on the block.

Anyway I had it in my head the Landmark was a better 5th wheel than the Redwood.

Now I realize this industry is so dynamic it is very difficult to tell who is better than who. It is like the shell game or wack a mole.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree they are owed by the same parent company but sometimes the parent company is hands off and sometimes they are bean counters that cut every corner they can.

A long time ago now I was at the Tampa RV Show, the big one. Anyway I was told that the Heartland Landmark was built better with stronger material than the Crossroads Redwood 5th wheel. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd year for the Redwood, back when it was the new kid on the block.

Anyway I had it in my head the Landmark was a better 5th wheel than the Redwood.

Now I realize this industry is so dynamic it is very difficult to tell who is better than who. It is like the shell game or wack a mole.
Thats exactly it too. The way ive had several people explain it to me is that with more money you dont get improved build quality, you get more features. I know the new fuzions get a few things added, like heated tanks, heated underbelly, in command (i loved mine before the screen crapped out), one piece shower, solid surface countertops, but its still just thrown together.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

towing and 5th wheel

I would like to know about the 41' montana 381 toy hauler 5th wheel and if a 2500 dodge long truck bed would pull it safe, I am looking at both new 2020 hauler and if I can find a 2020 truck...thank's
newrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

newrving - no, a 2500 series truck will have too small of a payload and you should start your own new thread.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #10

Have a 2018 Raptor and have been working on it since I got it. The last trip I noticed the roof bubbling in the front so much it had rubbed on the front A/C unit and cut through the rubber roof. Dixie rv said the roof should be replaced under the 3 year structure warranty however Keystone says it can be repaired will not pay for it and wont say how it can be repaired.This is not the 1st warranty issue. Keystone is very hard to deal with if you have a problem. not sure what i'm going to do about the roof yet probably have it replaced on my Dime unit will not be 3 years old till March 2021
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
Have a 2018 Raptor and have been working on it since I got it. The last trip I noticed the roof bubbling in the front so much it had rubbed on the front A/C unit and cut through the rubber roof. Dixie rv said the roof should be replaced under the 3 year structure warranty however Keystone says it can be repaired will not pay for it and wont say how it can be repaired.This is not the 1st warranty issue. Keystone is very hard to deal with if you have a problem. not sure what i'm going to do about the roof yet probably have it replaced on my Dime unit will not be 3 years old till March 2021
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear of your roof and warranty problems. Sometimes it seems to be luck of the draw with these campers. I've heard horrible things about forest river but yet spoken to people who have owned 2-3 different forest river products and loved them. I hear great things about grand design and know someone personally who is having warranty and repair issues with an 8 month old camper. We really like the carbon 348 model for several reasons.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear of your roof and warranty problems. Sometimes it seems to be luck of the draw with these campers. I've heard horrible things about forest river but yet spoken to people who have owned 2-3 different forest river products and loved them. I hear great things about grand design and know someone personally who is having warranty and repair issues with an 8 month old camper. We really like the carbon 348 model for several reasons.
yes I agree this is my third camper, and after two years nailing up molding re hanging sliding doors and even replacing the entire suspension I thought I was done for a while. I was completely blindsided by the roof i've never had roof issues before and it obviously is a factory defect and should be covered under warranty. I heard Grand Design did better on their customer service maybe not we almost bought a Momentum but chose the Raptor.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #13

My son just bought a smaller used 2020 No Boundaries toy hauler that was barely used.
He showed me the bathroom interior wall paneling is warped .It's just stapled on like everything in our Jayco.

Staple guns equal fast production!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, toy hauler