Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2023, 02:50 PM   #1

Large SUV tow vehicle recommendation

Looking for advice on a used SUV TV. Currently have a gen5 4runner and a light open bow 18' boat. This year I'll be upgrading to a heavier 24' open bow. I'm thinking I have the potential to get up around 7,000-7,200 lbs with the new boat ready to tow. My main tow is to a lake 60 miles away through windy mountain roads (low altitude) here in WV. I take it easy and am never in any rush. This vehicle will also be my daily, luckily I have a very short (4 mile) commute to work. I'm hoping to get into a pull behind camper next year. I think I'll be able to make a 7k lb limit work, as I don't have any kids, and only need a TT with one bed.

I have been happy with the 4runners reliability, but unhappy with the cargo space. I prefer SUVs to pickups because I like the interior cargo room. I don't need a third row, although most of the SUVs I'm considering have them, they'll be folded or removed for my purposes. My only option requirement is 4x4. I was really keen on the brand new sequoia, but at $67k for a base model with 4wd, I'm looking at the used market.

Current considerations -

2018+ Ford Expedition/Max with 3.5 EB - I think either length body would work for me - 2018-2019 w 40k mi ~ $40k
2015+ Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban - I've been recommended the 6.2 over the 5.3 - later model w 40k mi ~ $40k
2008+ Sequoia - Not huge on the body style - mid year model w 60-80k mi ~$30-35k
2008+ LX570 - A good friend of mine is a fanatic, and highly recommends, seems to have the least cargo room - Later model with 70-120k ~ $28-40k

I'm partial to the Toy/Lex as I've had great luck with the brands in the past, I feel the Sequoia is probably the better towing option between the two, but the LX is a better built vehicle. Long term reliability is my main concern with the domestic models.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping I could keep this vehicle for many years and at least 150k of my own miles. Anything I should be considering that's not on the list? Thanks in advance.
jrkotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2023, 05:10 PM   #2

I agree the Sequoia should do the trick.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #3

For the boat, I would want the one with the longest wheelbase, which will do better at keeping a 24' trailer under control. Also, at over 7,000 lbs, I'd be looking for the highest torque engine of the options. Though with just a 60 mile tow on two lanes, it might not matter all that much.

If all you need is one bed in the TT, you should be able to get by with something that is under 4,000 lb GVWR and under 20' total length, which would be a breeze to tow with any of the options you are considering.

I've heard a lot of bad internet chatter about the older 3.5 ecoboost, though I have no direct experience with it. Seems it likes to eat timing chains, has problems with the turbos, and the cam phasers like to crap out. It's possible some of those problems don't apply to the newer years that you're considering. But the newer model expeditions probably would have the 10R80 transmission, which also has a bad reputation on the internet for lots of early failures.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #4

Boats are a heck of a lot easier to tow than a travel trailer. There is no weight distribution hitch or much worry about tongue weight. Boats by there design are hydrodynamic which makes them also aerodynamic.

A travel trailer is like towing a box while towing a boat is not.

Enjoy the 24' open bow boat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #5

I tow with a 2013 Nissan Armada. 9100# tow rating and 1500# cargo capacity along with a decent sized V8 engine. Does just fine. I do wish it had a little more wheelbase.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Tags
tow