Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Nat

I know I have seen someone say there is a formula for figuring the max length RV you should pull with a certain length TV, but for the life of me, I can't find it.
My son and his neighbor are both looking at new travel trailers. My son has no problem as he has a 3500 4x4 diesel. His neighbor has a Toyota four runner and the dealer is trying to sell him a 29', he says the weight is within specs for the 4 Runner. I say if the choice is to heavy or to long, I'd go with to heavy, may be slow and may wear it out sooner, but to long for the short wheelbase 4 runner may kill me, or one of you. Can anyone tell me a good way to find the max length RV for a short TV?
Later, Nat

2002 Carraige 32' Triple slide
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Nat

I know I have seen someone say there is a formula for figuring the max length RV you should pull with a certain length TV, but for the life of me, I can't find it.
My son and his neighbor are both looking at new travel trailers. My son has no problem as he has a 3500 4x4 diesel. His neighbor has a Toyota four runner and the dealer is trying to sell him a 29', he says the weight is within specs for the 4 Runner. I say if the choice is to heavy or to long, I'd go with to heavy, may be slow and may wear it out sooner, but to long for the short wheelbase 4 runner may kill me, or one of you. Can anyone tell me a good way to find the max length RV for a short TV?
Later, Nat

Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #3

I've never heard of a too long or max length rating. I would NEVER tow beyond a weight limit, ever. Your little 4 runner may be able to get 'er going, but it may not be able to stop it or control it in an emergency situation, and I'm not even going to mention what may happen of you knowingly tow out of your limits and hurt or kill someone.

Something may give out during travel and you'd really have a mess on your hands. Those weight limits are there for a reason. You realy need to respect them.

I think length may be relative to weight limits, because if it's too long, it's probably too heavy too.

We are not anywhere near our weight limits, but we wanted to stay with a shorter rig so we can get into those tight favorite spots.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I too remember someone talking about how to determine if the trailer is too long for the tow vehicle. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the wheelbase of the TV.

Hang in there. I'm sure you will here back.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Nat

Charlie, The "little 4 runner" isn't mine. My sig shows a 3500 with a 5rv. The reason I asked is because a short wheel base will be thrown around more by a truck passing than a longer wheelbase will. The young man that I'm talking about is looking at a 29 footer and from what I've seen in the past that is way to long for that short a wheelbase. A low flat trailer that grossly overloads a TV won't be as apt to lose control as a lighter longer higher RV will. A truck passing causes a lot of movement to a long rv, and more so if the TV is short.
I seem to remember the formula was the TV wheelbase x ? equals max rv length. Somebody will remember, Later, Nat

Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
CD

Nat
Personally I wouldn't want to tow any 29' TT with less than a 3/4ton.
If you haven't read my post about the 5th wheel involved in a fatal accident in this section, you might want to read it. That may be (probably) a case of too much RV for the TV.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 PM   #7

....in order for an accident to happen you have to have 4-6 contributing factors....not just one thing will cause an accident.....something has to start a chain of events to cause an accident....ask any accident investigator.....geofkaye
Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
I too remember someone talking about how to determine if the trailer is too long for the tow vehicle. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the wheelbase of the TV.

Hang in there. I'm sure you will here back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Hello K-Star.. I beleive the formula is the first 110" of wheelbase, allows for 20' of trailer. For each additional4" of wheelbase gets you 1' more of trailer.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nat:
Charlie, The "little 4 runner" isn't mine. My sig shows a 3500 with a 5rv. The reason I asked is because a short wheel base will be thrown around more by a truck passing than a longer wheelbase will. The young man that I'm talking about is looking at a 29 footer and from what I've seen in the past that is way to long for that short a wheelbase. A low flat trailer that grossly overloads a TV won't be as apt to lose control as a lighter longer higher RV will. A truck passing causes a lot of movement to a long rv, and more so if the TV is short.
I seem to remember the formula was the TV wheelbase x ? equals max rv length. Somebody will remember, Later, Nat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nat, a trailer of 29' should have a wheel base of 146"

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
Nat

Thanks, Brad. That is the formula I remember seeing. Sure seems like 29 ft is way to long to tow with a 4 runner. I'll tell the guy , maybe it will save him some grief, Later, Nat

Old 06-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">in order for an accident to happen you have to have 4-6 contributing factors </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say what? I've lived a fairly average life, and many times during that, just one little thing has caused many accidents. Are you saying someone would have to pull out in front of you at least 4 times, maybe 6, before you plow throuh thier car?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote