Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #1

Question Lexus LX 570

My husband really wants a SUV with 4 wheel drive. He REALLY likes the Lexus, and it can tow 7000#.I really want a travel trailer and like the Grand Design ones- and I'm looking at the Imagine XLS 17MKE and the 21BHE. Can this work? I know the wheel base is small 112.2"- so I figure the 17MKE would work? But I'm new to all this and trying to sort it out.

I'm also open to any other suggestions for light TT.

We did test drive a Tundra 1794 edition, and I really liked it (and that it can tow more), but I think he likes the way the SUV has a 'cushier' ride than the truck. He is a huge Toyota/Lexus fan, so doesn't really want to consider brands I don't think for the TV.

We are 2 adults and a 4 year old. Both at 'fairly' healthy weights. Also, we live in Las Vegas and go up to Utah fairly regularly, so mountain travel and winds is the norm, assuming that needs to be factored in?

In a perfect world, the TT would have a bunk for my daughter, and a couch separate from the dinette eating area, the ability to walk around the main bed, and a bathroom where the shower is separate from the toilet. (I think that is called a dry bath maybe?)

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!
NinaBeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #2

Power in the LX wonít be an issue. Like you mentioned the shorter wheelbase, and the heavier rear end of an suv will be your most concern with choosing a trailer with lighter tongue weights. Personally, I wouldnít go over a 22í total length, and 6,000 GVWR. Ignore dry weights from a website, or brochure, as they donít include options. They also donít include batteries, propane.

When it comes to winds a lower profile trailer will be beneficial. So you may want to look at Lance, as they donít raise the floor to cover the wheels. This keeps a lower profile, and center of gravity. An aero front also helps greatly.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #3

Ditto on what bneukam said; further I wouldn't get above around 80% of a vehicles tow weight for the GVWR (not dry weight) which would be closer to 5,500 lbs. ....and length matters, the 22' max mentioned seems prudent (22' bumper to hitch; not the marketing model description! - ie. the "21BHE" is a 25' trailer.

Dave
Old 08-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #4

So the Lance 1685 is probably about the biggest we can go, right? Those Trailmanor 'pop-up' trailers look pretty cool too, and may give us more space but still be towable. The only real negative I see is the fridge is small due to the design, but for smaller trips this may not be a big deal. Would the longer Trailmanor (24') be ok since it is so much lower to the ground? Or does that not have anything to do with towable length? As really the only thing we have towed before was when we drove a huge U-haul and towed a mini-van on a flat bed trailer behind it cross country, we want to be sure we are safe.

Any other hidden gems I don't know about? There are so many brands out there it really is hard sorting through them all.
NinaBeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #5

Agree with that wheelbase is short. I tried towing a dual axle small trailer with a vehicle with 122" wheelbase and it was a no go. I tried towing a 2008 Gulfstream Streamlite 22 SLB with a Honda Ridgeline. That 122" wheelbase could not control that trailer.

The 17' trailer that is actually 22' long - should be ok. Note - "should be".
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #6

double check the payload on the Lexus, but that Lance looks like a much better choice; nice trailer too.

Dave
Old 08-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

A long time ago I had a Lexus LS. It was a fine car. But trucks now are as nice as any Lexus or BMW IMHO. Just go look at a Ford F-150 Limited or a Fiat Ram Limited. Those interiors are as nice as a Lexus. You owe it to yourself at least go look at how nice trucks are.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #8

The LX 570 shares its platform with the Toyota Landcruiser, so its more of a luxury off road people mover, not so much geared towards towing. Itís full time 4wd, and not so great on gas.

You donít see many on the road, and itís hard to give advice on its towing capability.

You do see more people towing with the Toyota Sequoia, but it shares its platform with the Tundra.

With that said I believe the Lance 1685, or a Trailmanor would be a good option. Another good option is the Rockwood Geo Pro, as they have many more floor plans to choose from.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #9

The limiting factor on what you can tow with an SUV is probably going to be the trailer hitch weight, not necessarily the gross trailer weight. Check your Lexus manual and see what it says. The maximum hitch weight will also usually be stamped on the hitch receiver. Note that SUVs are unibody construction and the manufacturer will probably state that weight distribution hitches are not allowed, so don't let the trailer dealer sell you one. As to the trailer hitch weight, you can get the dry hitch weight from the trailer manufacturer but remember that depending on how you load the trailer it will probably wind up higher in actual practice. It's best to weigh the trailer tongue to see what you have before youre ready to hitch up. Then, remember that the hitch weight is part of your Lexus payload and there is a limit on that too, as indicated on the driver's door sticker. Bottom line is, when they say you can tow 7000 lbs, realistically it's probably around 5000 lbs.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #10

LX570 is not unibody construction. Again, itís based off the Landcruiser, one of the best built SUVís, and will last forever.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #11

It will not last forever - that is salesman talk. Why would you say that???

Towing a trailer will shorten it's usable life...ugh.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It will not last forever - that is salesman talk. Why would you say that???

Towing a trailer will shorten it's usable life...ugh.

Well letís just say it will last a hell of a lot longer than a Ford.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaBeana View Post
My husband really wants a SUV with 4 wheel drive. He REALLY likes the Lexus, and it can tow 7000#.!
Don't do this.

Todays example of why:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	239066962_297112635545299_1042808398415005650_n.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	339712  
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #14

Wow, that picture sure makes that SUV look small and that trailer is big.

I had a Mercury Cougar XR7 that I kept for 10 years. I had a Lexus LS430 that I kept for 8 years. I found out that Lexus was not all that it is cracked up to be. Sure it is better than a BMW but that is not saying much.