Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #1

Lippert has an Andersen type hitch out

Saw this on another forum. I think it's cool. 60 lbs. $800. Gooseneck version will be available at some point.

https://store.lci1.com/all-about-cro...earnmorebutton

Here's a video on how it works:

https://www.rv.com/gear-accessories/...t-of-coupling/
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 06:03 AM   #2

That IMO does not look sturdy enough to handle a large 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:13 PM   #3

I like the shock absorbency as well as it having a pin on both sides of the ball for the model that hooks up to your turn over ball. I have the Andersen and have no trouble hooking it up the first time, so I’m not sold on that part. I would like to see if it is possible to pull in at an angle and hook up. The animation shows a truck coming in straight, so hard to know what it would do if you came in at an angle. While I like my Andersen, my next hitch will be the Gen-Y version of the goosbox, then I won’t have to get anything out of the bed of the truck when I’m done pulling.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #4

Interesting.
Following
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Honestly, if it says Lippert, Lippert, Lippert on the label, label, label, will you trust it, trust it, trust on the trailer, trailer, trailer. I could not resist this comment.

Really, I do not like the design.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Pretty ingenious putting much of the hitch's weight on the pin box to reduce the base weight. My guess the "shock reduction" gasket is mostly for noise reduction and will offer about as much cushion as the donuts on B&W hitches, which is little. Side to side articulation looks limited, but might be enough. I'll be interested to see how this hitch is accepted in the future.

As a side note, check out the "What Causes Chucking" video at the bottom of their website. You would think the engineers at Lippert would be more in tune with the dynamic issues of towing a fifth wheel. Based on their model, travel trailers would chuck as bad as fifth wheels, which they don't. Same amount of tires going over the same potholes.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #7

Some people are funny. They can't accept new concepts that doesn't meet their line of thinking or other imagined hangups.
This concept from Curt is different.... just like the Andersen was when it was introduced a few years back. We had all the nay sayers bashing the Andersen when it first hit the streets and still do as they pine over pictures of a couple of Andrsens that collapsed due to all kinds of theories how it happened ....or some one said it must have happened .

Anywayz interesting concept from Curt. Time and miles of service will tell its story.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:37 AM   #8

Right JIMNLIM? What would Moses write if he saw a Boeing 747.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:55 AM   #9

Is it made to fit a certain puck system? Ford, Chevy or Ram? I had an old fashion heavy Reese Elite 5th wheel hitch that took two people to carry it. It fit the Ford puck system.

I would look at any other options vs the standard 5th wheel hitch because I don't want that type of hitch anymore. Simply too heavy and clumsy to remove/install.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would look at any other options vs the standard 5th wheel hitch because I don't want that type of high anymore. Simply too heavy and clumsy to remove/install.
This is why I'm very curious about the Gen-Y.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:07 AM   #11
JDT

Quote:
Is it made to fit a certain puck system? Ford, Chevy or Ram? I had an old fashion heavy Reese Elite 5th wheel hitch that took two people to carry it. It fit the Ford puck system.

I would look at any other options vs the standard 5th wheel hitch because I don't want that type of hitch anymore. Simply too heavy and clumsy to remove/install.
This is exactly why we went with a Reese Goose Box. It's a totally different concept from a standard hitch which causes a lot of folks to say no way. Our experience with it in the past 2.5 years has been nothing but positive with a capital P. The new Curt hitch is different but like someone pointed out so was Andersen. It may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

The Gen-Y hitch is conceptually similar to the Goose Box and I really considered it but since Lippert didn't approve it for use on our new at the time Pinnacle we opted for the Box, which did have their blessings.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:24 PM   #12

It appears Blue Ox has something similar. I don't know if it's new to the market or just new to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ox Hitch.png
Views:	22
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	377539  
Old 09-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:

The picture looks like set for a rail system. I like the ease of lining up our 5th wheel hitch. Currently three pieces, head, base and picture frame adapter. Yes the parts have some weight, but at 70+ I can still remove and install by myself. If I were to go to a GN setup it would be a Goosebox. The Curt ball and safety chain hooks weigh about 20#, pops into the 5er prep in our Ram easily. I would put a mirror on the front of the 5er to make lining up the ball easy.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
It appears Blue Ox has something similar. I don't know if it's new to the market or just new to me.
I had to look at that. I like that it doesn’t require an adapter for the king pin.

https://www.blueox.com/5th-wheel-hitches/
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, hitch