RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Looking at new 5th Wheels

The lovely wife and I went shopping this evening for our first camper. She loved the Grand Design. That thing actually had solid wood and luxury, everywhere. But the trade off is weight. Our truck won't handle the 40' models. But we might be able to get by with a 34 or 36 footer? I already have a truck. And I'm not ready to replace it. I really don't drive it much. It's still like new. Is 500lbs over, on the pin weight that big of a deal on a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn , Mega cab, heavy duty 4x4 with a Cummins. I never will be carrying anything else in the bed anyway. The truck is a beast. So does anyone here have the exact same vehicle
Or should I keep shopping? I don't mind looking further. But now the bar has been set pretty high. With that GD.I really am looking for someone that has the exact same truck that tows, and offer real world experience. Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_130358.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	309975
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
Member
 
mistercee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
The lovely wife and I went shopping this evening for our first camper. She loved the Grand Design. That thing actually had solid wood and luxury, everywhere. But the trade off is weight. Our truck won't handle the 40' models. But we might be able to get by with a 34 or 36 footer? I already have a truck. And I'm not ready to replace it. I really don't drive it much. It's still like new. Is 500lbs over, on the pin weight that big of a deal on a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn , Mega cab, heavy duty 4x4 with a Cummins. I never will be carrying anything else in the bed anyway. The truck is a beast. So does anyone here have the exact same vehicle
Or should I keep shopping? I don't mind looking further. But now the bar has been set pretty high. With that GD.I really am looking for someone that has the exact same truck that tows, and offer real world experience. Thanks.
Attachment 309975
What is the actual cargo carrying capacity (payload) of your specific vehicle? This is listed on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's side door pillar. I think you will get some more detailed responses after posting this info.
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar 'Half-Ton' 29RLKWE, 33'.3", 9500 lb GVWR
2019 Ford F350 CCSB, 6.2L gas, 2WD, 4.30 gears
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
What is the actual cargo carrying capacity (payload) of your specific vehicle? This is listed on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's side door pillar. I think you will get some more detailed responses after posting this info.
2020 lbs is the payload.
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 350
You will never get someone telling you go over your payload in this forum.

If you are few hundred lbs over on paper, then you are probably a lot more overloaded in real life. I believe Ram 3/4 tons doesn’t have leaf springs. You really don’t want to put too much stress on these coil springs. They ride great, but hurt your payload.

My local RV dealer is really nice, they let customers tow out their new units to the CAT scale to make sure they are within the spec, but of course you will sign a paperwork saying you’ll pay all damage and they put a hold on your card.

Speak to your salesman, see if he will let you get it weigh. He probably told you that you can tow anything with a Ram diesel.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Member
 
mistercee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
2020 lbs is the payload.
That 2020 payload will severely limit you as far as 5th wheels. You may know this already, as you mentioned being 500 lbs over, but just in case....if you figure 20% pin weight, a 10K GVWR fifth wheel will eat up all of your payload. An example trailer in this range would be a Keystone Cougar Half Ton (ultra ligtweight) 29MBS which is 'only' 32'10". You will also need to factor in the hitch's physical weight as well as the weight of you and any passengers, pets etc. traveling in the truck. All this deducts from your available payload. In addition, that 2020 sticker figure is what was available when your truck rolled off the assembly line. Anything added aftermarket by you (toolbox, bed liner, heavier tires etc. will also change that payload figure. Best to load up as you would for camping, get a full tank of gas and get your truck weighed at a CAT scale. Deduct this from your truck's GVWR to see what you actually have. (Don't forget the weight of your potential hitch will also need to be deducted).
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar 'Half-Ton' 29RLKWE, 33'.3", 9500 lb GVWR
2019 Ford F350 CCSB, 6.2L gas, 2WD, 4.30 gears
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Very informative, everyone. There is a cat sale across the street from the dealer. They also did not tell me, because its a diesel,I could pull anything. They actually said just just opposite. Thanks for everything.
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Very informative, everyone. There is a cat sale across the street from the dealer. They also did not tell me, because its a diesel,I could pull anything. They actually said just just opposite. Thanks for everything.
Then he is a good salesman. With 2000 lbs payload, you are looking at something 8000-9000 GVWR fifth wheel. Most won’t have the luxury you want. Try bumper pulls, there are some really good ones out there.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #8
JDT
Senior Member
 
JDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,853
If you are looking at the Grand Design Solitude you are going to need a different truck. When we bought at the beginning of summer we had boiled it down to a GD Solitude 310GK and our Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS. They have similar size, weights and capacities. Our hitch weight fully loaded for a trip is 3120 pounds. Now that does include a Splendide washer dryer combo added to the front closet. By the time we add in some more stuff in the truck, ourselves and a bed cover we are right at 3700 pounds sitting on our truck when we hitch up for a trip. My truck has 4562 pounds of payload on the yellow sticker so not a problem. I think 2020 would be a problem.
__________________
Jim,
2020 Ford F350 Platinum, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, diesel, 12,400 GVWR, 4562 payload
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Reese Goose Box
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 9,155
That is not enought truck. I went the other way with trucks as I drove a dually truck for 6.5 years and then bought a F-250. To me the F-250 is a little truck. Your Ram 2500 is actually a little truck too. That 2020 payload is not enough for 85% of the 5th wheels.

250/2500 series trucks are better to tow travel trailers.

350/3500 series trucks are what you need to tow 5th wheels

350/3500 dually trucks are what you need to tow the bigger 5th wheels.

You are looking at 5th wheels that are too big. Don't be tempted to ever go onto those big nice 5th wheels unless you have a dually truck.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Very informative, everyone. There is a cat sale across the street from the dealer. They also did not tell me, because its a diesel,I could pull anything. They actually said just just opposite. Thanks for everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Then he is a good salesman. With 2000 lbs payload, you are looking at something 8000-9000 GVWR fifth wheel. Most won’t have the luxury you want. Try bumper pulls, there are some really good ones out there.

Sounds like a good place to buy an RV, as they will keep you safe.
Now days even 3500's with 4,200#+ payloads may have issues with weights even for mid size 5er's (14K to 15K GVWR).


DW and I are not large but not small either, I have a in bed tool box with all that I have used up 1,411# of payload, before 5er pin.

With our current 13,000# 5er with a 2,800# pin we would have been very close to max GVWR with a 4,200# starting payload, that is why we have a 3500 DRW.
__________________
Russ & Paula, Portland, OR. The Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 4X4 14,000# GVWR.
2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293FWSLS Rear Kitchen 12,360 GVWR
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Sounds like a good place to buy an RV, as they will keep you safe.
Now days even 3500's with 4,200#+ payloads may have issues with weights even for mid size 5er's (14K to 15K GVWR).


DW and I are not large but not small either, I have a in bed tool box with all that I have used up 1,411# of payload, before 5er pin.

With our current 13,000# 5er with a 2,800# pin we would have been very close to max GVWR with a 4,200# starting payload, that is why we have a 3500 DRW.
Totally agree. Some of these mega fifth wheels (20,000+ lbs dry) probably need mdt to safely travel.

You will have a lot of options with travel trailers. With 2000 lbs payload on the 3/4 ton diesel, you can easily tow most travel trailers. As long as you spare some payload for you and your wife. There are some really nice 10000 lbs travelers.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Ok...been looking at the Grand Design travel trailers. But only on the internet for now. Tongue weights between 900 and 1600lbs. It would seem 1600 lbs is pretty heavy on the trucks hitch?
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Ok...been looking at the Grand Design travel trailers. But only on the internet for now. Tongue weights between 900 and 1600lbs. It would seem 1600 lbs is pretty heavy on the trucks hitch?
You haven’t taken account of the hitch unit itself, driver, passengers, and cargos in the truck. Do you also have a bed cover or some other add-on. They all make a small dent on your payload.

Plus, the 1600 lbs I believe is the dry pin weight. Take 18%-23% of the GVWR and it will easily overload your truck.

I also have a 3/4 ton truck with 2995 lbs payload and i kept the “no fifth wheel for this truck” idea in mind when I bought it. I don’t even plan to tow anything over 8000 lbs being a gasser with a fuel-efficient rear end.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Member
 
mistercee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
You haven’t taken account of the hitch unit itself, driver, passengers, and cargos in the truck. Do you also have a bed cover or some other add-on. They all make a small dent on your payload.

Plus, the 1600 lbs I believe is the dry pin weight. Take 18%-23% of the GVWR and it will easily overload your truck.
He was referencing GD travel trailers in this last post. For TT's figure 13% of trailer GVWR for tongue weight.

9000 lb GVWR = 1170 tongue weight
Good WD Hitch = 100
You and Passengers = 350
Misc. Cargo, Tools etc. = 250

Total Payload used in this example = 1870.
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar 'Half-Ton' 29RLKWE, 33'.3", 9500 lb GVWR
2019 Ford F350 CCSB, 6.2L gas, 2WD, 4.30 gears
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OUR Newmar 5th Wheelers Group & 2011 5th Wheels Dennis M Newmar Owner's Forum 184 04-11-2018 10:27 PM
Florida for looking at 5th Wheels tuffr2 5th Wheel Discussion 10 01-13-2014 08:27 AM
I saw this Newmar while looking at other 5th wheels Tumble Weed Newmar Owner's Forum 0 04-17-2013 08:58 AM
2 Wheels Down v/s 4 Wheels Down TheArnolds Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 12 10-20-2011 10:58 PM
Upgrade from 15" wheels to 16" wheels LWG Travel Trailer Discussion 10 09-26-2010 01:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.