RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #1

Looking for Eaz lift weight distribution set up experts.

I have a low mile 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab with 5.9 and 2wd. Everything with the suspension, as far as I can tell is stock, tires are new, but stock size and the truck has a very noticeable, nose low rake.

I am pulling a 2014 ORV 20FQ, max gross weight 6200lbs and dry weight around 4200lbs if I remember correctly. I have added a diamond plate battery box that holds 6ea 6volt GC2 golf cart batteries. Just bought a new tongue weight scale and the tongue weight is now 700lbs.

I have and Eaz lift weight distribution setup with 1000lb bars. Long story, but I bought the trailer in another state and it came with the brand new hitch and a local shop in the other state set up the hitch for this trailer and another 4x4 F250 that I used to own.

When I got the Ram, I used the hitch just the way it had been set up for the Ford and everything seemed to be okay.

I have weighed the Ram with a full tank of fuel and no load.
Front. 3960lbs, back 2700lbs

Yesterday I took the trailer to town to get new tires and I stopped by the scale to check the weight with the trailer in tow.
Truck was empty with 1/4 tank of fuel and trailer tongue weight still 700lbs.

With weight distribution hooked up, I got the following results.

Front was 3960, with WDH is now 3760
Rear was 2700. WDH. Now 3720
Trailer, both axles on scale, 4540lbs

Do these weights with the WDH look okay?

After I got home, it dawned on me that I had never checked out the hitch height or trailer tongue height.

When I measured the front of the truck I measured from top of tow hook to the ground and the back was measured from factory tow hitch where safety chains connect.

Truck empty with full tank of diesel
Front. 20 1/2”
Rear. 18 1/2”

Trailer attached, no WDH
Front. 22 1/8”
Rear. 15 1/2”

Disconnected trailer from hitch and measured tongue height and ball height.

Trailer sitting level 23 3/8”
Top of ball is. 23 1/8”. SB 23 13/16”

Since ball was low, I moved it up to the next hole and also set the bar angle at 11 degrees.
Ball height is now 24”.

Is 24” going to be okay?

With new ball height, I attached the WDH and got the following measurements.

Front. 21 7/8”
Rear. 16 3/8”
Trailer tongue 23 1/8”

Do these measurements look okay?

I finished the adjustments and measurements a short while ago and I don’t have new weights yet.

Thank you for your help.
Ken

Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #2

The real question is: How does it tow? Your weights look just fine, if it tows good, use it just like you have it.

LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:25 AM   #3

From this forum the general consensus is the front of the truck by itself should be about the same as it is with the trailer and WDH attached.

My knee jerk answer is the bars are not tight enough as the front (Steer axles) of your truck is higher and lighter with everything attached.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
The real question is: How does it tow? Your weights look just fine, if it tows good, use it just like you have it.
There had been some slight porpoising that became a little more pronounced after adding the additional batteries. When I took the trailer to get tires, with the exception of some plastic plates and bowls in the kitchen cabinets and tools, blocks, chocks, hose and electrical cords in the forward storage area, the trailer was empty.

I will be replacing the original shocks with a set of Bilsteins later this week.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The hitch is not working yet, tighten it up. You want the front truck axle to weigh almost as much as it does with no trailer but not more. Ignore the rear as long as you are under your gross rear axle weight. It is extremely important that the trailer is level when all hooked up, not just close. I believe the specs say under 2 inches difference at the main frame rails from front to rear of the trailer with it being preferred that the front be lower if perfectly level cannot be achieved.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
From this forum the general consensus is the front of the truck by itself should be about the same as it is with the trailer and WDH attached.

My knee jerk answer is the bars are not tight enough as the front (Steer axles) of your truck is higher and lighter with everything attached.
Happy 7,500 posts👏

The bars are parallel to the tongue frame with 2 links hanging.
I suppose that I can use 1 more link and still be close to parallel.

I wonder if I should go up to the 1,200 lb bars?

I am new to WD hitches upon buying this trailer and never really gave much thought to the theory of their use and what is actually happening with their use.

Time to take out another link and measure again.
Might be time to move the heavy stuff from the front storage to the back of the trailer and see what changes that makes as well.

Thanks
Ken
Old 05-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
The hitch is not working yet, tighten it up. You want the front truck axle to weigh almost as much as it does with no trailer but not more. Ignore the rear as long as you are under your gross rear axle weight. It is extremely important that the trailer is level when all hooked up, not just close. I believe the specs say under 2 inches difference at the main frame rails from front to rear of the trailer with it being preferred that the front be lower if perfectly level cannot be achieved.
Thank you for this information, Iíll do some more measuring and include measurements on the trailer frame as well.

Just for reference, my paved driveway where I have been taking measurements is not perfectly flat, but using a 4 foot level, the bubble stays between the lines.

If the bars need to be tightened to the point of no longer being parallel with the tongue frame, will jumping up to the 1,200lb bars help?

Thanks again
Ken
Old 05-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #8

Some additional information.

Donít know about the accuracy of the new scale.
Checked tongue weight again yesterday and it was now 900lbs, checked again and it was 850lbs. Looks like I need to take the trailer back to the State truck scale and do some comparisons.

Tags
weight