Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

Looking for those with a lot of experience towing trailers

Hi,

I have a somewhat unconventional set up for my hitch. Please give a look and let me know if there will be any type of problem using the way I have it. I will show you in photos how it looks normally and what I have done with it, but basically I've turned everything upside down. You'll see what I mean. Thanks for any info.

lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #2

I don't like it, looks too funky. Anything that looks funky is usually not good.

Looks like you have a normal 2" receiver. Why not use it the normal way?

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #3

Looks awfully LOW to the ground. Probably just waiting for a driveway dip to ground out.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #4

Looks funky but it should be fine for light duty trailers. I would never hook a travel trailer to that setup. Check the rating on each piece to determine what your maximum trailer weight and tongue weights can be.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone View Post
Hi,

I have a somewhat unconventional set up for my hitch. Please give a look and let me know if there will be any type of problem using the way I have it. I will show you in photos how it looks normally and what I have done with it, but basically I've turned everything upside down. You'll see what I mean. Thanks for any info.

All drop hitches can be reversed for rise instead. Except for those labeled otherwise. That one isn't . I have used mine in that fashion.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I don't like it, looks too funky. Anything that looks funky is usually not good.

Looks like you have a normal 2" receiver. Why not use it the normal way?

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Using the normal way would lower the front of trailer too much which is what it is was meant to do but no longer have a need for that. I wanted to see if I could put it to work instead of buying something else. Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #7

Looks light duty. Check the ratings before using on more than a light utility trailer.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

I don't see a problem with it. The specs say it's good for rise or drop. It's only rated to 5000 lbs. Not sure why you added the U-bolt and flange?
Jet2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Looks awfully LOW to the ground. Probably just waiting for a driveway dip to ground out.

I just measured and it is 8" off the ground.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

Hitch Pin is weak link in that set up whether rightside up or turned upside down

In your MOD way of using it at least IF the Hitch Pin should fail the receiver will continue to carry the weight of trailer tongue

In the First picture.....hitch pin failure would allow for tongue weight to push ball/shank down & out of receiver....

7 1/2" DROP with 5000# capacity
6 1/4" RISE with 3500# capacity

Use it within those ratings.....good to go
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Looks light duty. Check the ratings before using on more than a light utility trailer.

Reese 7031300 Class III Adjustable Weight Carrying Ball Mount Up to 500 pounds tongue weight and gross towing weight of 5000 pounds
Old 08-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2RV View Post
I don't see a problem with it. The specs say it's good for rise or drop. Not sure why you added the U-bolt and flange?
Anti-rattle.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hitch Pin is weak link in that set up whether rightside up or turned upside down

In your MOD way of using it at least IF the Hitch Pin should fail the receiver will continue to carry the weight of trailer tongue

In the First picture.....hitch pin failure would allow for tongue weight to push ball/shank down & out of receiver....

7 1/2" DROP with 5000# capacity
6 1/4" RISE with 3500# capacity

Use it within those ratings.....good to go

Very good ideas. Didn't think of it that way. A pin failing is a scary thought since they hold it all together. Are all pins the same or are there better ones with less chance of failing. If you know of some please provide the links.

I also added another pin at the bottom under the u-bolt so if the u-bolt loosened some it would not fall off. Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2RV View Post
I don't see a problem with it. The specs say it's good for rise or drop. It's only rated to 5000 lbs. Not sure why you added the U-bolt and flange?

Added the u-bolt mainly to keep the hitch from rattling around making a bunch of noise. I also just added another pin under the bolt in case the u-bolt loosed some so it would not fall off if it slid down. Thanks

Tags
hose, tow, towing, trailer