Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Looking like Tesla Cybertruck will be built in Austin Texas.

Thought there was a thread on this but can’t find it. Anyway, looks like negotiations have mostly concluded and the Cybertruck factory (and possibly the semi tracto) will be built in Austin. Pretty steep timelines too for production. From what I gather that is the heart of truck country so it will probably be well received.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/10/tesla...actory-austin/

https://electrek.co/2020/07/10/tesla...actory-austin/
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #2

How Fitting that the weird looking truck will be made there.

The city of Austin’s official motto is “Keep Austin Weird,” and the city and its citizens take that slogan quite seriously!

As found here: https://www.escapehere.com/destinati...20seriously%21
Old 07-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
How Fitting that the weird looking truck will be made there.

The city of Austin’s official motto is “Keep Austin Weird,” and the city and its citizens take that slogan quite seriously!

As found here: https://www.escapehere.com/destinati...20seriously%21
High end tech area though with a ton of engineers and software development. Spent s few months there on factory courses about 25 years ago. Even then it was cutting edge in many areas. This is the draw for Tesla.

People will get use to the shape. Function over form in some ways. Covered lockable storage that is powered. Built in 120 and 240 volts. Built in compressor. Frunk storage, high performance, low maintenance. Dent resistant stainless steel body. No paint to keep waxed. It’ll find a market. Not among the fifth wheel crowd though. Not going to put a 5th wheel hitch in that puppy.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

It will be great to see the next 20 years, I think. I like the look of the Cyber Truck. With regular trucks getting to be so good the only thing to improve them will to add electric motors.

In the next 20 years there will be people on the moon and maybe Mars. And here on Earth a lot of electric vehicles and many of them will be self driving.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Radar:
Don't bet on that Stainless Steel exterior being a dream to have. Oil from hands (or elsewhere) quickly made a Delorean look like a splotchy mess. At the end of production, there were several shops painting them. As far as being only battery powered, any idea what the range will be towing, how long to re-charge, and can you pull into a supercharger with a trailer. It's an interesting idea, worth watching the development.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Radar:
Don't bet on that Stainless Steel exterior being a dream to have. Oil from hands (or elsewhere) quickly made a Delorean look like a splotchy mess. At the end of production, there were several shops painting them. As far as being only battery powered, any idea what the range will be towing, how long to re-charge, and can you pull into a supercharger with a trailer. It's an interesting idea, worth watching the development.
Yah I suppose that oily fingerprint thing might be an issue. I know our stainless steel appliances seem to be fingerprint magnets.

No idea on towing range. Lots of factors there. Size, weight, shape etc. My old gasser GMC 2500 has a towing range if 200 useable miles. We made it work but an extra 50 or 100 miles would have been handy occasionally.

I have noticed more Superchargers are being built with at least a few stalls setup up with a trailer in mind, albeit smaller trailers. Going forward I think newer Superchargers installations will be more suited to trailer towing.

Yep. It’ll be interesting to watch.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #7

Looking like Tesla Cybertruck will be built in Austin Texas.

Most electric vehicles are designed to be super efficient aerodynamically, so it only takes a little energy for them to cut through the air at highway speeds. Towing even the smallest trailer with an electric vehicle will cut the range down to only 15%-25% of normal range. So even the most expensive electric vehicles can only tow 75-100 miles before needed to be charged, also discharging the batteries at such a rapid rate will have a negative effect on longevity. This is also why Tesla makes it own accessory’s like storage boxes and bike racks, anything that effects the aerodynamics of the car will significantly effect range.
19trdoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honestly, they would do better going to Tulsa for their plant.

Ken
Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19trdoffroad View Post
Most electric vehicles are designed to be super efficient aerodynamically, so it only takes a little energy for them to cut through the air at highway speeds. Towing even the smallest trailer with an electric vehicle will cut the range down to only 15%-25% of normal range. So even the most expensive electric vehicles can only tow 75-100 miles before needed to be charged, also discharging the batteries at such a rapid rate will have a negative effect on longevity. This is also why Tesla makes it own accessory’s like storage boxes and bike racks, anything that effects the aerodynamics of the car will significantly effect range.
Yah for sure aerodynamics is important. But new Tesla model x’s are happily towing little camping trailers 250 km or better. Most people around here only tow 100 to 150 km to the local lakes. Depending on ones needs I’m sure the Cybertruck with a bigger battery will work for many.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19trdoffroad View Post
I watched a super smart mathematician on Youtube go over the logistics of towing with a Tesla and was surprised to see how poor the results were. He does some calculations on the proposed Cybertruck specs as well but I'm too dumb to know if they make sense. TLDR; electric cars suck at towing.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
empirenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirenine View Post
I watched a super smart mathematician on Youtube go over the logistics of towing with a Tesla and was surprised to see how poor the results were. He does some calculations on the proposed Cybertruck specs as well but I'm too dumb to know if they make sense. TLDR; electric cars suck at towing.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
Actually they are really good at towing. They just suck up lots of power doing it.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Time will tell all. Perhaps sooner than not.

I wonder when armchair experts proclaim something will or will not work out over the engineers that have worked the project. How many people said man would never fly or go to the moon, etc, etc.

When I see that investors have sunk some very large sums of venture money into this truck I suspect they have seen some data we don't see. Musk has already done many things others said "never" to. Don't write off his efforts. I believe that Musk has targeted the F150 class with his Cybertruck, not the heavier trucks. What his semis will do may indicate what the future for pickups may become.

Wonder what the specs for this old pickup truck are? A few improvements over time perhaps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 12.52.58 PM.png
Views:	16
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	292631
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #13

Towing an RV would be fine with that truck. Just double tow. Pull a second trailer behind the RV that has a big diesel generator, an even bigger fuel tank and a charging station. Done. Just don't go to a campground because nobody is going to like the generator noise.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
[Mod Edit]
In 5 years we will know whether this is good for anyone, including Musk. Way too many variables at this point, including housing, schools, highways, rail lines, Austin and Travis County politicians, and skilled/trainable workforce.

That truck looks like a beefed up DeLorean. Its range is maybe suitable for a place like Delaware or Rhode Island, not truck country. We'll see how it goes!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas