Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 03:15 AM   #1

LT tire recommendations for TV

I'm in the market for new tires for my 2008 Yukon XL Denali. Would like to get a few opinions on a good set of rubbers that have limit sidewall flex but aren't abusive to passengers when the truck is unhitched. I've been reading about Michelin LTX M/S2 (load and speed is 113H). They are more expensive than I'd like but seem to have great ratings.

On the lower end, I've seen good reviews of Cooper Discoverer H/T plus. The load rating is higher on these at 117; speed is only T. Other tires I've been looking at at BFG Long Trail T/A Tours, Michelin Defender LTX M/S (113T), and an A/T tire, Cooper Discoverer A/TW.

Just wondering if it's worth going with an aggressive tread pattern tire A/TW. The primary use of the Yukon will be towing a pull behind. Our minivan is our grocery getter.
busterbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

I, just last weekend, put new tires on the rear end of my 3500 DRW. I went with the Cooper HT primarily because of cost ($617 out of the door inc. road hazard and rotation ) and mileage (60k). Time will tell if this was a good choice or not.

IMHO, unless I was going to spend significant time off road, I wouldn't want tires with an aggressive tread design.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Speed rating H is 130 MPH max. You don't need that much speed rating on an SUV tire.

Speed rating T is 118 MPH. You don't need that much either.

Q = 99 MPH
R = 106
S = 112

Q speed rating is all I need on a half-ton tow vehicle, but most of the better tires have S or higher speed rating.

Load index 113 is almost 2,500 pounds, or almost 5,000 pounds max on the rear axle. That's probably all you need on a Yukon XL (= Chevy Suburban)

114 = 2600 pounds
115 = 2680
116 = 2755
117 = 2835
118 = 2910
119 = 2270
120 = 3085
121 = 3195

Load index 121 is common on three-quarter ton pickups, but most half-ton SUVs and pickups max out at 113. Check your rear GAWR. I'll bet it's a lot less than 5,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
RPr

No load the "P" tires on the F150 are inflated to 32 lbs per factory recommendation. DW complains about rough ride.

Towing the TT the "P" tires are inflated to 40 psi because I like the feel of the TV. The DW does not mind the towing ride.

I do not need the grief of and LT ride, others find the LT ride just fine.

Only you can decide what you want from your tires. How much over the axle rating do you need your tires to be?
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never towed anything heavy with Michelin LTX tires, but those will be what I use next.

Speed rating is not an indication of tire quality until you start to approach that rating limit. Almost worthless info for an SUV or towing until, again, you start getting close to those limits. And I believe that at 100MPH on public roads, all bets are off anyways. Mr Murphy likes to play tricks on you at those speeds by shoving someone right in your path or popping a tire.

I thought I'd do a good turn and buy tires at my local Les Schwab. I won't do that again. When the time comes, I'll wait for a coupon from Costco for four Michelin tires and get the right LTXs for my needs. I'd had them before on two different SUVs, and they were extremely good tires I only towed a light utility trailer with those tires, but they lasted more than 60K miles and had great traction on the road, even on ice (with appropriate driving skills and care, of course).

Make mine Michelin!
Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Post speed ratings

speed ratings are based on tests, not recommended speeds.generally, higher speed rated tires will handle better at all speeds because of stiffer sidewalls and resistance to heat build up, especially under load. never replace a tire with one of lower speed rating than what the oem put on your vehicle. do not mix different speed rated tires on you vehicle.i went with the cooper discoverer h/t plus to replace my goodyear wrangler sr-a. same size, with a higher speed AND load rating than oem. have about 10,000 miles on them so far and they seem to be doing just fine, thank you.
google is your friend
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tires rated for towing higher weights will have stiffer sidewalls and be more resistant to heat build up also.

Tires deform more importantly in the tread than the sidewall at high rotational speeds. Resisting this type of deformation doesn't seem unpretentious in my mind to towing where the tire is inflated to a high(er) pressure to carry a high(er) weight.

And, as always, I could be totally wrong in many ways, but being wrong is how I learn.

I guess tire consumers can simply pick their poison, or the best balance of both worlds. High speed or high weight capacity.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

MS2's you won't regret it! Price Discount Tire and Costco.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Tires deform more importantly in the tread than the sidewall at high rotational speeds. Resisting this type of deformation doesn't seem unpretentious (damned auto-correct! important in my mind to towing where the tire is inflated to a high(er) pressure to carry a high(er) weight and is being done at lower speeds than what someone would be able to do when not towing.
As we all know, the system here on the forum won't allow editing after a certain amount of time, so I have to do it this way to make a couple of corrections to my previous post (all in bold).
Old 03-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #10

I am a rabid follower of the BFG ATs and will likely never stray. I know you are on the fence about an AT but if you are considering- I'd give them a good hard look. I ran the LT E range on my 1500 and kept them at 55 at all times. Eliminated that squirrely feeling and rode quite nice with very little road noise and surprisingly did not really impact mileage. They have a tank-tough sidewall and don't flex much at all. Awesome wear life too.

Where I live a decent work 'n play tire pretty much HAS to be an AT.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I am a rabid follower of the BFG ATs and will likely never stray. I know you are on the fence about an AT but if you are considering- I'd give them a good hard look. I ran the LT E range on my 1500 and kept them at 55 at all times. Eliminated that squirrely feeling and rode quite nice with very little road noise and surprisingly did not really impact mileage. They have a tank-tough sidewall and don't flex much at all. Awesome wear life too.

Where I live a decent work 'n play tire pretty much HAS to be an AT.
I like the BFG AT too (on my truck currently), but for a pure street tire I've preferred the Michelen LTX M/S. Unless a truck is used off-road, AT tires are overkill.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I am a rabid follower of the BFG ATs and will likely never stray.
The first set of replacement tires I put on my '99.5 F-250 diesel were BFG All-Terrain T/A. The tires lasted 25,000 miles, the same as the OEM General tires. So then I mounted Michelin XPS Traction and that set lasted over 40,000 miles. The Michelins cost a bit more than the BFG, but because they lasted longer they were cost effective. So I wore out three sets of XPS before I sold that tow vehicle.

But the XPS is available in only a few 16" sizes. So for my F-150 that came with 18" Michelin LTX A/S, I'll probably replace them with Michelin LTX M/S2.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2014 F150 4x4 HD pkg pickup came with BF Goodrich LT245/75R17 LRE Rugged Trail T/A. I have 22K on the truck already, and the tires do not look any worse for wear than when they were new. I keep them inflated 55 psi in front, and 60 psi in rear. That's what's on the placard on the truck.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Son had almost the identical vehicle and pulled a 30' TT behind. Had many of white knuckle rides when windy. He had the equalizer hitch but tires were the problem. Think he went with Mechelin E load tires and the difference was quite significant. He was glad he did. That said, having a higher load rated tire doesn't mean having a higher load capacity. Just a more stable tire.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote