Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Sway control devices are a bandaid for unproper loading. Get it loaded properly first and use a sway control to make you feel better.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #16

My guess is you don't have enough tension on the bars. And/or you need a higher rated equal-i-zer hitch. Or your truck is overloaded. Probably all 3.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #17

Thanks for all the input I will see what I can do. My front fender is exactly the same with tt on as well as it off. Also have the set bolts tourqued to 65lbs not sure how hi I could go with that. Not a lot of info on the tourque specs.
crack.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #18
CCH

Heartland RV Club
My 28' Spree TT was a banshee behind my RAM 1500 until I got the WDH adjusted to actually move some weight to the front axle (couple trips to a CAT scale for that - but they are pretty much everywhere, and simple to use) AND - even still - if I don't have my tongue weight correct (CAT scale again or a tongue weight scale) then there's some movement going on. But with the bars set up and the weight correctly distributed, tows like a dream.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #19

Yes thanks I will be looking for a scale in my area to figure this out. It seems this the route I'm needing to take to attempted to correct this problem. Also looking to buy a tonge weight scale as well to make sure all is good there to .
crack.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #20

JMO but I think that trailer is too big for your truck when using any standard WDH. Guessing you're around 7500lbs loaded. And at 33' long that's a lot of TT to tow with a 1/2 ton. If you have the front fender returned to it's original height then you pretty much have your truck dialed in, in that regard.
Concern would be what's the tongue weight of the TT? Is the TT level?
If the tongue weight is not heavy enough then just simply returning the front fender to it's original height is meaningless.
If the TT isn't level and is nose high then that could be causing some sway issues.
The reason I say I don't think you have enough truck is I've BTDT with a similar sized TT. I was at 31' and 7300lbs, towing with a 2010 F150 with Max Tow. I upgrade the OEM P rated tires to E rated tires. Added SuperSprings to the rear.
Had a 950lb TW. The TT never developed white knuckle sway but wandered a lot. I always had to be in constant awareness. The truck never felt like it was in 100% control of the TT.
I too was using an EQ with 4pt sway. I had 1200lb bars.
I sold the F150 and got a 2012 Ram 2500 CTD. That put me in total control of the TT. That's why I feel you need a larger truck for that size TT.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your GCVW. If you are over that you need a bigger truck.

There are a number of threads dealing with GCVW, GVWR and GAWR. If any of the numbers are over you are taking a bigger risk than necessary for the safety of everyone.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
JMO but I think that trailer is too big for your truck when using any standard WDH. Guessing you're around 7500lbs loaded. And at 33' long that's a lot of TT to tow with a 1/2 ton. If you have the front fender returned to it's original height then you pretty much have your truck dialed in, in that regard.
Concern would be what's the tongue weight of the TT? Is the TT level?
If the tongue weight is not heavy enough then just simply returning the front fender to it's original height is meaningless.
If the TT isn't level and is nose high then that could be causing some sway issues.
The reason I say I don't think you have enough truck is I've BTDT with a similar sized TT. I was at 31' and 7300lbs, towing with a 2010 F150 with Max Tow. I upgrade the OEM P rated tires to E rated tires. Added SuperSprings to the rear.
Had a 950lb TW. The TT never developed white knuckle sway but wandered a lot. I always had to be in constant awareness. The truck never felt like it was in 100% control of the TT.
I too was using an EQ with 4pt sway. I had 1200lb bars.
I sold the F150 and got a 2012 Ram 2500 CTD. That put me in total control of the TT. That's why I feel you need a larger truck for that size TT.
Best advise right there^^^ The half ton crowd never wants to hear it. That trailer is similar in size and weight to my old one a 9,000lb 31ft Fleetwood. Would a half ton pull it? Yes...but it would not have been comfortable without airbags, LRE tires, Probably a pro-pride hitch too. After that you still wouldn't have the brakes and the shear truck weight to control the trailer. Nothing beats a long wheelbase 3/4 ton or better truck for trailers this size and up.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #23

Major sway problems

Pro pride hitch would take care of it but it would be band aid imo. That trailer is right at 3/4t territory. It amazes me the number of trailers I saw on the road during our 4700 mile trip last month that were wandering all over the road. Most all were being towed by half tons that I could see (the ones wandering)
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #24

I have a Jayco 28BHBE and towing with a 2015 F150 rated for 9200lb trailer. The truck is rated for it, with tongue wight, GCVW and all, but the trailer loaded is about 8300lbs and the truck is nearly half that. I have the e2 hitch with 1,000lb tension bars. I've noticed a similar experience with the new truck. My last truck was the 2013 Ecoboost, which weighed about 700lbs more. I keep playing with the hitch, but I definitely notice a lot more issues with the new setup. Good luck and let us know if you figure out the right settings.

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Just got in from two months on the road. We had similar issues with our rig. I noticed if I set the chains with 4 loose links instead of 3 the dealer said it made a difference. Also I have air bags and if I pump them up to 55# instead of the 35# I was running it also helped. It's not there yet but better.

I've got a friend that runs a Hensley Arrow on his Airstream and will go over his set up when he gets back in a month or two.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
For all of the accessories meant to mitigate the use of an inadequate vehicle that is exactly what they are - accessories. While they may make towing acceptable there is no substitute for having the proper sized vehicle to tow a trailer.

You don't try to drive a spike with a tack hammer or set a tack with a sledge hammer, you use the correct tool for the job. But a tap from a sledge hammer will set a tack while it will take a lot of effort to use a tack hammer will drive a spike.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
For all of the accessories meant to mitigate the use of an inadequate vehicle that is exactly what they are - accessories. While they may make towing acceptable there is no substitute for having the proper sized vehicle to tow a trailer.

You don't try to drive a spike with a tack hammer or set a tack with a sledge hammer, you use the correct tool for the job. But a tap from a sledge hammer will set a tack while it will take a lot of effort to use a tack hammer will drive a spike.
You nailed it.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #28

The #1 cause of sway is lack of tongue weight. I don't know if you have enough truck or not. I drive a 3500.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems