Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Make sure I'm not missing anything!

So I THINK we've decided on our TV and TT, but I want to make sure we aren't missing anything.

Since this will be our first camper and we don't want to jump in feet first we're trying to keep things smallish.

Also the tow vehicle will be my daily driver. It will be used to tow a camper maybe once a month to places within a few hours, and being in Indiana that means flat. Maybe 2 trips a year to Myrtle Beach which will take us through the mountains.

Truck is going to be a F150 XL 4x4 3.5 with the HDPP. That will give us a payload of around 2,500 to 2,600 depending on if I decide on a Supercrew for the added space or the Supercab for the longer wheelbase.

Camper is the Wildwood 240BHXL. GVWR of 7,500, dry weight 5,300ish, length of 28' 10". Since at this time we only plan on going places that have full hookups I don't see us getting near that GVWR with full tanks.

Truck will be hauling 5 people. 2 adults, 3 kids ages 11, 6, and 5.

Yes I know this will only serve our use for so long before we outgrow it, and at that time we will upgrade to a much larger trailer and most likely a 1 ton pickup truck.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Something I'm forgetting that will put the F150 outside its safe use?
nick112288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

I think you are good with that combo. The F-150 with the HDPP option and 3.5 Eco-Boost will tow that trailer comfortably.
I think you also want the Max Tow package but that might come the HDPP option, I don't know.

I had a normal 2011 F-150 with the max tow package that came with a 36 gallon gas tank - that was nice. Solo the truck could go 700 miles at 21 MPG.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think you are good with that combo. The F-150 with the HDPP option and 3.5 Eco-Boost will tow that trailer comfortably.
I think you also want the Max Tow package but that might come the HDPP option, I don't know.

I had a normal 2011 F-150 with the max tow package that came with a 36 gallon gas tank - that was nice. Solo the truck could go 700 miles at 21 MPG.
Yeah the HDPP automatically includes the Max Tow and 36 gallon tank
Old 06-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

Agree, that should be a good combo. Normal F150 I would put around 26’ and 6,500 to 7k GVWR.

If you want longevity out of that 3.5 be sure to tone it back on steep grades.

If your looking at 2021 models they just came out with a recall on the steering gears. When it fails you have no steering. Very dangerous and need to check on manufactured dates.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Agree, that should be a good combo. Normal F150 I would put around 26’ and 6,500 to 7k GVWR.

If you want longevity out of that 3.5 be sure to tone it back on steep grades.

If your looking at 2021 models they just came out with a recall on the steering gears. When it fails you have no steering. Very dangerous and need to check on manufactured dates.
In shopping around I've found a F150 with the HDPP is essentially a unicorn that has to be ordered. Very unlikely to find one on a lot. That's fine though because our vacations this year are already planned out and there is no immediate need for the truck.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #6

Greetings,
The only comment I have is that I have a super cab, and 15 and 11 year olds. The super cab is tight in the back. Add a couple of smallish dogs and it gets really tight. If I had to do it all over again I’d definitely get a super crew. A lot less of the “are we there yet”.......
Cheers
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
In shopping around I've found a F150 with the HDPP is essentially a unicorn that has to be ordered. Very unlikely to find one on a lot. That's fine though because our vacations this year are already planned out and there is no immediate need for the truck.

Thinking most just opt for a 3/4 ton truck instead of the HDPP, personally I would at least want to drive one before ordering. Comparing ride, and handling with both.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:18 AM   #8

I have a F-250. It will be be a lot more capable than a F-150 with HDPP. But the down side is lousy mpg. I get around 15 mpg in mixed driving on a 2WD model. It is also difficult to park because of a wide turning radius.

I am just educated guessing that thd F-150 with HDPP will make a much better daily driver. It wil get around 20 mpg and be a bit easier to drive. Also the 3.5 Eco-Boost is a great engine to tow with. It tows much like a diesel with gobs of low end torque.

Oh, I would order a 2WD with a locking rear differential. It is good to have hoping you never need it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a F-250. It will be be a lot more capable than a F-150 with HDPP. But the down side is lousy mpg. I get around 15 mpg in mixed driving on a 2WD model. It is also difficult to park because of a wide turning radius.

I am just educated guessing that thd F-150 with HDPP will make a much better daily driver. It wil get around 20 mpg and be a bit easier to drive. Also the 3.5 Eco-Boost is a great engine to tow with. It tows much like a diesel with gobs of low end torque.

Oh, I would order a 2WD with a locking rear differential. It is good to have hoping you never need it.

From what I've read owners say the HDPP falls between a regular f150 and Super Duty ride wise.

Not as soft as a 150 but no where as harsh as a Super Duty. Plus no concern of death wobble.

Also I'd love a 2wd for simplicity but every time I start thinking yeah I could get away with a 2wd, I get stuck
Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #10

HD’s drive good on nice paved roads, but get them off on rough back roads, and you’ll need a mouth guard.

Another big plus for the F150 is the height of the truck is much lower. More user friendly. But a 4wd is nice to know it’s there, wouldn’t consider one without it.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
HD’s drive good on nice paved roads, but get them off on rough back roads, and you’ll need a mouth guard.

Another big plus for the F150 is the height of the truck is much lower. More user friendly. But a 4wd is nice to know it’s there, wouldn’t consider one without it.

Solid axle, HD trucks are the only trucks I've ever owned so yeah, I'd definitely appreciate the softer half ton ride
Old 06-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #12

Once you've driven an independant front suspension HD truck you won't want anything else.

3-4 years ago we made an epic trip which included 750-800km of rough gravel and logging roads. I'm talking washboard roads. Truck and trailer unphased, no breakage holding it at 70-75km/h most of the way. I woould have gne nuts with a solid axle truck.

I'm not gonna say it's "limo smooth" but it's as good or better than my 1/2 ton older Suburban with reinforced suspension.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Once you've driven an independant front suspension HD truck you won't want anything else.

3-4 years ago we made an epic trip which included 750-800km of rough gravel and logging roads. I'm talking washboard roads. Truck and trailer unphased, no breakage holding it at 70-75km/h most of the way. I woould have gne nuts with a solid axle truck.

I'm not gonna say it's "limo smooth" but it's as good or better than my 1/2 ton older Suburban with reinforced suspension.
I contemplated the GM HD for the IFS, but I've seen lots of comments that within the last 2 or 3 years something happened and the HD doesn't ride as good as it used to.

Not sure if all those people just happened to have a model with the stiffer snow plow front end or what, but I was disappointed to hear the complaint
Old 06-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #14

Not 100% certain, but I think even the HDPP F150 hitch is still rated at 500 lbs weight-carrying and 1,320 lbs weight-distributed. So you will definitely need a weight-distribution hitch. Same old problem with the F150’s, they show you one towing a triple-axle boat trailer in the Sunday football commercials… and those few beers you’ve had convince you that this is physically possible!