Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Question Making an '18 Ram 4x4 & '19 AF 27-5 level with Reese Goose Box

I've been looking at upgrading. I like the new 3500 Rams with the Auto Level air bags and puck systems. The new 5er I like is the Arctic Fox 27-5. This trailer is already at max height of 13' 6'' Being a bit nose high could be disastrous. I really like the idea of the Reese Goose Box and having more room in my short bed.

So, I guess my question is how to get the proper height set up? I know bed rail clearance is an issue. I know there is some room for adjusting during the pin box installation. I know there are different length gooseneck balls that can be utilized. Is this all just trial and error? Isn't it possible to not have the proper rail clearance with a level trailer? Raising the trailer wouldn't be an option with it's already tall height. Lowering the truck wouldn't be feasible with the auto level system. It doesn't seem like pin box adjustments or ball height would correct too little rail clearance without raising the nose. Can you help me to better understand?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #2

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the 27-5L and 3500 setup properly. The overhang on the 27-5L is high enough to allow enough bed clearance.
FYI I'm towing a 2013 Fox Mountain mid profile with a 2018 2500 4x4 and the 5er is about 1/2" nose high.
My bed measurements to the top of bed rail is 59-1/2" empty. The overhang on the 27-5L should definitely be higher as it sits on a thicker frame and 16" tires. 4 steps needed to get in as opposed to my 3.
It is trial and error. But with the Reese GN you should only have to make one adjustment. I had to make two with my truck. One for the 5th hitch and one to raise the pin box to get it set up right.

I too have the pucks but already have a B&W so I needed the Reese rail adapter frame. Wish I'd had the pucks on my 2012 2500 and the Reese GN was available then. Way easier to use IMO.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
For me, I would skip the auto level so the truck can squat. My dually drops a tad over 4" loaded which puts the RV close to level, or just a little low in ft. If I had auto level I'd be pretty high in front. I have thought about adding aftermarket air springs w a remote compressor so I can lift it up a little , but ride and handling seem fine where it is. Parts to do that run well under a grand.
The hitch is set at max height giving me 7" bed clearance.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

I wasted a bunch of money making mistakes in this area, so you're wise to look first, measure a bunch, and hopefully get it right the first time.

My 2015 ram SRW 4X4 empty with factory air rear suspension has bed rails approximately 59.5 inches high sitting unloaded and the suspension switch in the normal position. With alt ride height selected, which enables the truck to ride level rather than slightly tail high, and with 4,000 lbs in the back of the truck my rear bed rail/tailgate is 57.5 to 58 inches high. It pretty much stays at this height no matter what the loading, with the only option being to go back up to 59.5 inches

If you can get the measurement of the underside of the overhang of the fifth wheel you're looking at when it's on a flat level surface, it's hopefully about 65 inches which should put you dead level with 7 inches of bed rail clearance when hooked up. Reese recommends a minimum of 7 inches of clearance between bedrails and underside of fifth wheel with the pin box aired to 40psi. With as much articulation as the Goose Box allows, I wouldn't recommend anything less.

Comparing adjustment on a goosebox to other pin boxes, my bighorn with the factory 1621 HD pin box set in the middle of 3 possible settings, using an Andersen Ultimate, or B&W puck mount hitch with either hitch on the lowest setting resulted in 7 inches of rail clearance and the trailer being approximately 2 inches nose high. It towed well, weight distribution on the trailer axles was good, so while not perfect it worked well. Unfortunately, the Andersen Pin adapter damaged the pin box so I had to replace it, and I of course got rid of the hitch as well as it had been problematic for me besides having damaged the pinbox.

Switching to a B&W hitch which adjusts to virtually the same heights as the Andersen, and putting on a Reese fifth airborne pin box set as high up as possible raised the trailer nose approximately 5 inches. The fifth Airborne really does a great job on chucking, jolting etc. and even though nose high the rig towed beautifully. Unfortunately, the rear trailer tires ran noticably hotter on my TPMS and the scales showed me 1480 lbs heavier on the rear trailer axle which is a significant difference.

Switching to a Reese GooseBox, I had to use the lowest possible setting on the pin box holes to get 7 inches of bed rail clearance using a reese ball in the trucks factory fifth wheel socket. I think I could lower lower the trailer to where I only had about 3 inches if I had to, but didn't try. I did initially install the GooseBox to where I only had 5 inches of tail gate clearance. I'm still nose high by about 2 inches, but tire pressure/temp and the scales show no significant issues and going down lower would result in too little rail clearance. My rig being 13'4" tall already doesn't leave any practical room for trying to raise the trailer.

Hope this was helpful, and feel free to keep asking for additional info or clarifications.

I really like the GooseBox so far, towed with it about 1000 miles to date through a wide range to terrain and conditions in Utah and Colorado.