Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been pulling 36 ft to 40 ft 5ers with a long bed crewcab dually for almost 20 years. Been fulltime with the signature rig for over 8 years and all over the lower 48 states and very few issues backing the 5er. You do have to watch the nose swing of the truck as it does take some room. As noted above, it takes a large correction to start the backing turn, but one started, you have to chase or follow the trailer.

It is a bit different back a 5er compared to a travel trailer, but I much prefer the 5er. Seems I can get it into places that you will not get a travel trailer.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks folks. The LB I would be looking at would be an F350. So the wheel base is longer than my current SB.

It looks like overall the nose swing is a bit more and I would have to get into turn a bit 'deeper' before making the turn.

Thanks for the education and advice. I don't think switching to a LB with a longer wheel base is such a bad idea.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #17

Backing my 5th wheel into my driveway in Columbus Ohio I used the opposite curb and 2' of grassy area as my truck's front had to swing to get the back into the 90 degree driveway to the street. It was not pretty but could be done.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #18

On the plus side, the long wheelbase F350 has a 48-gallon fuel tank. No more toting jugs of diesel!

That offsets a lot of other inconvenience.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The longer the trucks WB the harder it will be. It has nothing to do with bed length. I'm assuming a CC LB not a reg cab LB. Figuring 99% of trucks sold are some form of CC. So the difference is SB CC vs LB CC. If you have a wide open shot then the WB won't matter. If you camp in the woods and the CG has narrow roads and sharper approach angles for the sites then a long WB truck will be harder to back in with because the trucks front end will be in the bushes. BTDT many times. If my truck were 1'6"+ shorter I would've been able to swing the nose of the truck around easier. Shorter WB trucks also turn faster than LB trucks allowing the driver to correct the back in process faster.
Than don't buy a "MEGA CAB" truck since the WB is (for my model year) the same as the long bed trucks that Dodge sold.
For 2021 Model year the Crew Cab long bed has a 9" longer wheel base than the Mega Cab which is 160.5" wheel base. But this is longer than a Reg Cab long bed truck wheel base.

What I try and point out to everyone is it is not the bed length but the wheel base that is important.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #20

Never known anything but a CC LB dually here. You learn fast. Make like a semi at intersections & rely on the DW, radio in hand or clear hand signals, to get you into spots many would consider impossible backing up.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #21

I prefer a long box while pulling my 5th wheel and a short box while unhooked. I wouldn't put much emphasis on ease of backing up a fiver with one vs the other.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I used a long bed but a F-450. I would say I could back the 5th wheel into a shoebox. The turning radius is why.
Glad to say……Me too!
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel