Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Maneuvering A 5th Wheel With A Long Bed Truck

I'm considering getting a long bed after owning 2 short bed trucks for towing a 5th wheel. I'm OK with the short bed and know it's easier to park & corner.

I've read a few threads about the LB vs. SB. What I didn't see much was the difference in turning with the 5th wheel connected - going forward and backing up.

Do I have to swing out further around corners when pulling a 5th wheel?

Is it any hard to back into camping spots in a LB vs. a SB with a slider?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

I used a long bed but a F-450. I would say I could back the 5th wheel into a shoebox. The turning radius is why.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #3

We have a 42' fifth wheel.
We started with a 6.5' bed Ram with autoslider.
We now have an 8' bed Ford.
141 RV sites under our belts split about 50/50 with each truck.
No problem driving or backing into sites. I guess we just learned with trial and error but don't remember any issues with the learning curve.
An F450 will be your best choice for truck if turning radius is your main concern.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #4

Have a Quad Cab Long bed and 34' 5th wheel

Travled FT for 7 yrs moving weekly all over the USA....

Never had a spot I couldn't get into except for 2 in all those yrs/CGs
Both were 90* entrances to site with very narrow CG roads and deep ditches on both sides of the road.
No manuver room for front end to swing around w/o front tire dropping off into the ditch

Tight road/tight entrance/90* ----tough with long bed

angled entrance.....piece of cake regardless of width of roadway
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #5

I will follow this thread with interest. I bought my first 5th wheel a week and a half ago, after 30+ years with TT. Backing is a real learning curve - I may need to hire a trainer!

I have a long bed, crew cab F-350.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
I will follow this thread with interest. I bought my first 5th wheel a week and a half ago, after 30+ years with TT. Backing is a real learning curve - I may need to hire a trainer!

when backing....5th wheel is slower to respond initially then you have to chase it/catchup with it's movement

Having had both types of trailers I find 5vr is easiest to back in
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

I had always heard that 5ers were easier. Maybe I have just been watching too many YouTube videos on how to do it!

Enough highjacking this thread, though. I will just watch for responses to the original post.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
when backing....5th wheel is slower to respond initially then you have to chase it/catchup with it's movement

Having had both types of trailers I find 5vr is easiest to back in
With a 5er you need to think ahead, once it starts going the direction you want stop turning and start to straighten back out if you don’t it will turn past where you want.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

I’ve pulled the same 40’ 5er with short-bed and now long-bed crew cab Fords.

There is a difference you’ll mostly notice in maneuvering during backing due to longer distance from pin to steering axle, of course, but very unlikely that it would be enough to keep you from getting into any space you’d normally put the trailer with a SWB truck.

I towed with the short bed for 3 years, and just over 2 years now with the long bed and the only place the difference is impactful is backing into my narrow driveway while keeping the longer truck’s front tires on the street. I don’t do this too often because I have a second driveway with a covered RV pad on the other side of my house, but when I do, it just requires a little different positioning and accepting that I have to pull up once to be able to get the truck back under the trailer in order to keep all truck & trailer tires on the concrete.

If you make the change, you’ll just need to get dialed in to the increase in the truck’s nose swing…..just a little change in geometry that is easily managed. Aside from that, just stay mindful you’re about a couple feet longer and you’ll have no issues.

Safe travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

I towed with my sb Mega Cab for 2 years pulling my 41 foot Fifth wheel. Had no issues backing it. I did have slider hitch. I have a CC F350 dually now. No issues backing. I did a u turn on a 4 lane highway. Had the camper at 90 degrees off the truck. You do have to go deeper in a turn and swing hard since it will track inside the truck. Remember the rear tail swing. I only use truck stop fuel islands to fuel. Makes it easy on me ��
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

It is not the bed length but the wheel base that will effect how the 5er maneuvers when being towed.

Why do I say that?

For my model year of truck which is a short bed Mega Cab, this has a longer wheel base than a Regular Cab Long Bed truck (140.5") of the same year. The Mega Cab has the same wheel base as a QUAD CAB Long Bed truck. Which is 160.5 inches for both models of truck. So, maneuvering the 5er would be no different with either truck style.

I would suggest you check out the wheel base for whatever truck you are looking at, to see if it has a different wheel base than your current truck!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #12

It's definitely harder to back into a spot with a LB. Only because they're longer than SB and you have to pay attention to the swing on the front of the truck. We dry camp a lot and FS camgrounds have narrower roads and tighter back in sites than say RV parks. Even some of the State parks we stay at can be tricky at times.
I usually just have my wife watch the front on occasion. Backing into a spot is such a tiny amount of the whole journey that it's no big deal to me and would never be a reason to give up my LB.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's definitely harder to back into a spot with a LB. Only because they're longer than SB and you have to pay attention to the swing on the front of the truck. We dry camp a lot and FS camgrounds have narrower roads and tighter back in sites than say RV parks. Even some of the State parks we stay at can be tricky at times.
I usually just have my wife watch the front on occasion. Backing into a spot is such a tiny amount of the whole journey that it's no big deal to me and would never be a reason to give up my LB.
Please tell me why would a LONG BED Regular Cab/Quad Cab truck would be harder to back in a 5ER with then a Mega Cab Short Bed truck? I would like to know?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Please tell me why would a LONG BED Regular Cab/Quad Cab truck would be harder to back in a 5ER with then a Mega Cab Short Bed truck? I would like to know?
The longer the trucks WB the harder it will be. It has nothing to do with bed length. I'm assuming a CC LB not a reg cab LB. Figuring 99% of trucks sold are some form of CC. So the difference is SB CC vs LB CC. If you have a wide open shot then the WB won't matter. If you camp in the woods and the CG has narrow roads and sharper approach angles for the sites then a long WB truck will be harder to back in with because the trucks front end will be in the bushes. BTDT many times. If my truck were 1'6"+ shorter I would've been able to swing the nose of the truck around easier. Shorter WB trucks also turn faster than LB trucks allowing the driver to correct the back in process faster.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel