Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
SCP

May Downsize Trailer to Work with a 1/2 Ton

I posted last Wednesday (about towing an Arctic Fox) and then yesterday morning on "The Right Truck and its Use." Thank you for reading my posts and for your awesome support during this past week. It has been a very interesting and stressful week for me. Towing is so confusing, but with your help I think I am progressing. I read your advice about going with at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle and many of you recommended a diesel tug. I don't want diesel because most of my use for the truck will be as a primary vehicle plus the extra cost and higher maintenance expenses of a diesel. And, I am very practical so I don't want to get 12 MPG like I would with a gasser 3/4 ton for my primary use. If I only get 10 MPG or so while towing I am fine with that! You'll recall we'll probably travel about 100 days out of the year, hence tow the trailer maybe just 30 days or so. After giving the matter a lot of thought and talking it over with my DW we are thinking to downsize to a smaller product; A Nash 23 D.

I like Fords and I want some decent mileage with a dual purpose vehicle so I am thinking F150 again with the 3.5L Turbo Chargers and 3.55 axle ratio and 4WD. In a 2016 that configuration will tow 11,700 pounds, this might be a bit higher for a 2017 which we'd buy. If we go with the smaller Nash product it will still have many of the plusses that drew us to the Arctic Fox but its specifications may work with the desired tug.

Here are the pertinent specs on the 23D: It has a dry weight of 5,230 pounds and a GVWR of 7,000 pounds. Its tongue dry weight is 480 pounds. It holds 60 pounds of propane and 42 gallons of fresh water.

The question is will the truck I want work as a tug for the Nash 23D???

Also, what might the tongue weight of the loaded up rig weigh? And will that work too?

Thanks again.
SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

Pink makes your post really really hard to read. Please edit it to remove the color
Old 05-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

I don't think you will have any problem with the truck and trailer you just described, assuming you will have a decent WDH. I have a '13 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 3.5 EB with Max Tow and 3.73 EL rear and tow a 7,500 GVW trailer (typically around 6,500 loaded for a trip) using a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and it is a sweet handling set up, including in the mountains.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
pink makes your post really really hard to read. Please edit it to remove the color
thank you!
SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP View Post
I like Fords and I want some decent mileage with a dual purpose vehicle so I am thinking F150 again with the 3.5L Turbo Chargers and 3.55 axle ratio and 4WD. In a 2016 that configuration will tow 11,700 pounds, this might be a bit higher for a 2017 which we'd buy. If we go with the smaller Nash product it will still have many of the plusses that drew us to the Arctic Fox but its specifications may work with the desired tug.
You will do fine and that NASH is a nice layout.

I don't like Turbos myself.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You will do fine and that NASH is a nice layout.

I don't like Turbos myself.
Why don't you like Turbos?
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

I'd do that in a heartbeat. In fact if and when we do get another trailer, it'll be a TT and I'll trade out the Ram CTD for a 1/2 ton. We too have looked at the 23D. Great counter space, and large bathroom. Perfect size for traveling and getting into most CG's.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

The 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost has a 10 speed transmission. I heard some good things about it, but honestly hadn't heard from anyone towing a rig-- just a boat.
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 12 MPG comment in that other thread was during towing. Diesels get better mileage both towing and non towing. Most people get mileage in the 20s when not towing with their diesels and they have a higher resale price so you get back most of the higher up front costs.

Not trying to sway your decision but if it was me I would get the trailer I wanted. The difference between a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is only a couple MPG when not towing and if you go diesel you will get BETTER mileage. That 12 MPG comment translates to 8 MPG in a gas truck towing the same load.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Why don't you like Turbos?
Higher operating temperatures, another item requiring maintenance, cost of premium gas.

Which is More Reliable: 3.5L EcoBoost or 5.0L V8? [Reader Question] - The Fast Lane Truck

Also, this is the first year of a new engine and transmission - see above. I don't recommend being a beta tester for any new car. Let others buy it, have problems, let the mfg fix them, then buy.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #11

May Downsize Trailer to Work with a 1/2 Ton

I have a 3.5 EB and I rarely ever put any gas other than regular in it. Plus, it will out pull any 5.0 and it only loses a small fraction of its power at altitude compared to a normally aspirated 5.0.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #12

Next time I'm buying is an 3.5 EB. My brothers is a bad mofo
2012TxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP View Post
I posted last Wednesday (about towing an Arctic Fox) and then yesterday morning on "The Right Truck and its Use." Thank you for reading my posts and for your awesome support during this past week. It has been a very interesting and stressful week for me. Towing is so confusing, but with your help I think I am progressing. I read your advice about going with at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle and many of you recommended a diesel tug. I don't want diesel because most of my use for the truck will be as a primary vehicle plus the extra cost and higher maintenance expenses of a diesel. And, I am very practical so I don't want to get 12 MPG like I would with a gasser 3/4 ton for my primary use. If I only get 10 MPG or so while towing I am fine with that! You'll recall we'll probably travel about 100 days out of the year, hence tow the trailer maybe just 30 days or so. After giving the matter a lot of thought and talking it over with my DW we are thinking to downsize to a smaller product; A Nash 23 D.

Here are the pertinent specs on the 23D: It has a dry weight of 5,230 pounds and a GVWR of 7,000 pounds. Its tongue dry weight is 480 pounds. It holds 60 pounds of propane and 42 gallons of fresh water.

The question is will the truck I want work as a tug for the Nash 23D???

Also, what might the tongue weight of the loaded up rig weigh? And will that work too?

Thanks again.
I tow a 5500 lb TT with the same F-150 that you spec in your post (see my sig). It was adequate with not WDH, but with the Husky Centerline TS hitch that I put on this week, it pulls effortlessly, as if it was all one unit.

I don't know anything about the TT you are looking at, so I can't help you there, but that 1/2 ton Ford is a great tow vehicle with the right setup.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We pulled that trailer with a 2011 F150 eco-boost without a problem. It had a max tow of 11,500 which i would never have done as it would have exceeded my payload capacity. I'm sure other 1500 series truck would be fine with that Nash as well, just weigh everything and check your numbers and forget about dry weights!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer