Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 05:26 AM   #1

Mopar 5th wheel hitch

I'm in the process researching a Ram dually upgrade for my RAM 3500 SRW. One new Ram dually I found online has the Mopar 30K hitch installed and included with the sale. I currently have a B&W Companion 25K in the pucks and am generally pleased with it. Who makes the Mopar hitch and has anyone researched them and have any comments about ease of use, reliability, problems, etc? Does it also come apart in pieces for easier removal and/or adjustments? I have an electric roof mounted hoist in my garage for hitch removal and installation. So not particularly concerned about weight.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #2

I read somewhere that it is made by Curt, but you already have one of the best hitches.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

We use the Mopar 25K in our RAM. Yes I did take it apart before we went full timing. But like you, I used a electric hoist in the garage whenever I needed to remove the hitch. I also built a stand that was about 4 foot tall and place the hitch on when out of the truck. I then covered it with a custom made tarp I had an Amish shop make for me and pushed it over to the corner to store it.

So far we have had no issues with the hitch, it does a great job for us. I think it is made by Curt, I would have no problems using another RAM hitch.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

Curt makes them for Ram and Ford. Sadly, they are made in China. Keep the B&W. They are the most robust hitches made.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Reese used to make the hitch for Ford in 2012 I know. They used the Reese Elite for the Ford puck system. I had one and kinda liked it but it was heavy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
I read somewhere that it is made by Curt, but you already have one of the best hitches.
I agree and I'd be hard pressed to change from my B&W to another. I found it off that an $80K truck had a hitch installed from the factory, on the window sticker. I figured that someone getting that type truck already know what hitch they wanted/needed. Oh silly me thinking that the average buyer was knowledgeable????? Saw the truck on an internet search.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'm in the process researching a Ram dually upgrade for my RAM 3500 SRW. One new Ram dually I found online has the Mopar 30K hitch installed and included with the sale. I currently have a B&W Companion 25K in the pucks and am generally pleased with it. Who makes the Mopar hitch and has anyone researched them and have any comments about ease of use, reliability, problems, etc? Does it also come apart in pieces for easier removal and/or adjustments? I have an electric roof mounted hoist in my garage for hitch removal and installation. So not particularly concerned about weight.
Keep the B&W.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Keep the B&W.
I will. That truck is not on my short list so unlikely to be a factor. Was just surprised to see the hitch installed at the factory. Perhaps is was an order that someone didn't take possession.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch