Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #1

My new hitch is bent!!

So I got the B&W patriot 18k installed today. I looked at it quickly and drove home. Upon further review I discovered that the head is bent. I now have to call the shop and settle this which hopefully is resolvable before I pick up the new rv next Friday. If they can’t get me a new head in time is this usable like this? I’m pretty angry that they installed it like this and didn’t say anything. It wasn’t cheap. I just don’t know if the new head will come in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31749CCE-CC75-45E4-A210-46D22118FB67.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	325000   Click image for larger version

Name:	26841C4C-91B2-48CD-9B24-55A3142E601A.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	325001  

ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #2

The tongue part on the LH side? Just be mindful when you're hitching and try to get the trailer to the height of the hitch head, as in, don't try to lift the front of the 5th wheel when backing into it like the semi truck operators do. You'll be fine.

Looks like they dropped it from a respectable height onto a hard surface.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #3

That is a tough spot to be in for sure. I would delay picking up the RV until you get a new head. Usually an RV dealer is flexible.

That ramp on the head is key. The way you hitch will be to use that ramp on the 5th wheel hitch to push the truck down an 1/2" or so. You do not want a 'high' hitch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #4

The hitch itself is ok . Just the bottom left side . When you hitch just raise the trailer high enough so that the hitch plate slides under the trailer without much pressure and it will hook up . Be sure to check that the jaws are completely closed . Bring your front jacks about an inch of the ground and do a pull test .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
The tongue part on the LH side? Just be mindful when you're hitching and try to get the trailer to the height of the hitch head, as in, don't try to lift the front of the 5th wheel when backing into it like the semi truck operators do. You'll be fine.

Looks like they dropped it from a respectable height onto a hard surface.

I will disagree with this document with the installer and get a new head on order. That slightly bent tab will not affect the operation of the hitch. You still want the hitch head an inch to an inch and a half higher than the pin, insurance from high hitching.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I will disagree with this document with the installer and get a new head on order. That slightly bent tab will not affect the operation of the hitch. You still want the hitch head an inch to an inch and a half higher than the pin, insurance from high hitching.
Agreed.

It will work fine as-is.

Go back to the installer, show them what they did, get a new hitch coming.

In the meantime, go get your new RV.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #7

I'm sure the installer is going to say it was like that when they got it. "Dropped in shipment". Either way, B&W is a great company with great customer service.

And, I agree that your hitch is completely usable in the meantime. However, as soon as you hitch your camper, it's going to scar the plate making the hitch "Used". I'd call B&W and see if they are ok with using it in the meantime.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
I'm sure the installer is going to say it was like that when they got it. "Dropped in shipment". Either way, B&W is a great company with great customer service.

And, I agree that your hitch is completely usable in the meantime. However, as soon as you hitch your camper, it's going to scar the plate making the hitch "Used". I'd call B&W and see if they are ok with using it in the meantime.
Id say thats the most prudent advice here. You dont want to be told that you did it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #9

The good news is that it’s being replaced. I just have to go get it next week.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:47 AM   #10

That is great news. Good luck picking up the 5th wheel [emoji106].
Old 04-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #11

Plot thickens. Now they are submitting it as a damage claim to the manufacturer. If they don’t ship it as a rush order I might have to buy my own and deal with it. I can’t delay the purchase any more. I’ll find out today. Typical post purchase amazing customer service. They got the money, so what’s the hurry.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
Typical post purchase amazing customer service. They got the money, so what’s the hurry.
If it's on plastic, can you dispute the charge to build a fire under their backsides? Or threaten to at least?

I don't know how it works behind the curtain, but it seems that if they knowingly installed an obviously damaged part, they should replace it with an undamaged part and deal with the manufacturer and shipper themselves, without involving you.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:02 AM   #13

That’s exactly how I feel. I don’t care what happens on your end. I just want my hitch in new condition. Originally I was told they would order a new one and swap it so I gave them mine on the same day. That afternoon the story changed to it being a claim. I’ll call today to find out what happened. Hopefully this is just an easy fix that goes smoothly.

It’s funny because he also asked me after he got the part back “did you drop this or take it out?” And I told him that I didn’t even touch it. He then told me that his installer said that he didn’t notice the damage and probably wouldn’t have. I’m not pointing fingers but it is pretty obviously damaged. And that didn’t just get dropped from someone carrying it. It’s a steel plate. It was crushed with something or it fell from height.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #14

Man, that is not good if they are asking you what you did....ugh. That damage is clearly visible imho. Hard to believe the installer (who probably dropped it) did not see any damage. This should be an easy fix. Hang in there and good luck.

Tags
hitch