Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I went looking for a new truck today and did not know my truck was so worthless and theirs was so good (money wise)
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I went looking for a new truck today and did not know my truck was so worthless and theirs was so good (money wise)
Tom
Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #3

My way to beat any salesman at his game is this: I decide before I leave home what I must receive for my vehicle, and how much difference I can afford. Once I find out the price of the new vehicle I figure in my head exactly how much that difference is between vehicles. I then offer the difference. I say to them " I don't care what you price either your vehicle or mine at, I am willing to give only this difference." This takes away the salesmans tactics altogether, most are stunned and stammer around for a few minutes before bringing in thier boss, then the boss must either accept or reject your offer. This eliminates the numbers game. It works for me!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Tom,

Have you considered selling your truck yourself? I've had good luck with my last few trucks, they sold at retail value from Internet advertisements.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Yes Richard I have considered selling the truck myself. I wanted to drive one and see how it fit in the garage. I have nine foot wide doors and the truck mirrors cleared by a inch on each side. I think now I am going to buy a new truck and get the things I want off the old truck to put on the new one and then sell the old truck. I have done like Ray said before and on the last truck did very well. This time I went in not knowing what my was worth and they would sell theirs for. It was after I came home I found out how bad the deal was. It did not sound good there.
Tom
Old 06-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Tom I part-time for several of the dealerships around Athens. We are having folks come in with nearly new trucks and trade them for small gas misers. I took a 06 2500 Chevy gaser 4wd auto with extended cab to the wholesale sale the other day because the previous owner could not (or would not) pay the price of gas to go in it. He traded this super nice truck (7200 miles) in for a runt and had to give money.
Sell yours yourself, cause the dealers figure it is their market on trades.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #7

I have sold the last two trucks we've owned myself. Actually, they sold themselves. Both times, people that worked for me asked about buying my truck before I was really ready to sell. I sold to each of these people for more than the T/I offered by dealers but less than the private sale given by the KBB, Edmunds or the third company(old man's disease, CRS). This worked out for both parties each time. In each case, the person buying the vehicle knew they were getting a well maintained truck. I also included a 30 day 50/50 warranty.

The problem with selling privately is some folks have no respect for you or your vehicle and may test drive it more vigorously than necessary.

I used to enjoy going to a car dealership and seeing how much I could talk the sales rep. down. Not anymore. It gives me a headache. I like to get everything ready from the computer, then go to the dealer.

Good luck.

Frank
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem with selling privately is some folks have no respect for you or your vehicle and may test drive it more vigorously than necessary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never let anyone test drive your vehicle unless you ride along. When I sold my last truck, they came to my work and test drove it with me along for the ride. They drove real sensibly. It may have helped that I was wearing my Police uniform yes, they bought it!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today I called a GMC dealer that I saw a truck he had while I was down at the beach. The truck listed for over $47.000 and he will sell it for $42,000 plus tax. This does not count the $1500 rebate GM is giving on the truck. Now this is one I never heard before if you trade your truck and it a 99 or newer they will give another $1500 off the sticker. I bet they will still give me $1500 less for my truck than they would normally do. I like the GMC over the Chevy but that is just my personal choice.
Tom
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #10

diandtom--
asked you a question on another thread here before I found this one.

What is wrong with your '06? Certainly if you trade so quickly you will lose a lot of money.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wingnut60:
diandtom--
What is wrong with your '06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wingnut,

Tom and Diane had an '03 Chevy and traded it for the '06 last week.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:14 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Yes I did trade. I found a truck at a dealer that we bought from before and they gave me within a thousand of what I could sell it for. I would have had to buy the new truck and take the things off the old truck my self. They are going to take off the hitch and take off the Transflow tank and install it in the deal. I am happy with the truck and the deal, but did read today that GM is going to try to get rid of the 06 vehicles with some more rebates. I also got my truck from this dealer because I had great service from them before. Anytime you need to go somewhere while your is being serviced they will loan you something to drive.
Tom