Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #29

Find a used 27', 26', or 25' trailer that's in beautiful condition. Maybe ten years old.

I did last year and LOVE IT! It's short enough to fit anywhere, and I can double-tow my boat with it. So it's all things for me!

It cost $10K, so I had plenty of budget for any repairs or improvements I felt would be pleasant to have.

They're rare, but perfect for two adults who want to see the country, and not spend all their time inside the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper_truck 2020 Christmas Greeting.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	341387  
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #30

I recently upgraded to a 37' 2014 Columbus Fifth Wheel and we love it. Previously we had a 28' travel trailer. My 2014 Ford F350 Diesel pulls this trailer great and it is over 14K. Since it is a fifth wheel it is much easier to tow than the trailer and I can go over hills in Oregon just fine and cruise down the freeway at 65 MPH if I want. Since my truck is a short bed I put in a Fifth Wheel hitch that is sliding so when you get to where you need to back up in a tight area I just slide the hitch back about 18 inches which gives me more maneuverability without hitting the fifth wheel on the truck cab. I am very glad I went to this larger fifth wheel with three slides and plenty of room. We have made a few camping trips this year and next year will be retired to take longer trips. The hitch I put in is rated for 18K and I am sure my truck is rated much higher than I am towing. At least it is comfortable and I don't feel like I am pushing the limit.
Realgusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #31

If you don't select a shorter, lighter fifth wheel, you've got to go with a 1-ton truck. Which will it be?
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #32

What's your maximum payload? The TT or 5er load will be part of this payload, along with you, DW, dogs, and all the stuff you will carry in your truck. TT tongue load is 12% to !5% of the GVWR of the trailer. For a 5er, pin load is 15% to 18% of the GVWR of the 5er. Forget about "maximum trailer weight" listing for your truck. That's only good if you are towing something like a 2 axle utility trailer, which has a much lower tongue load %.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Mattm77318;5881677]All,

Apologies if this has been previously asked. I looked and did not see a similar discussion.

I have a 2020gmc short bed 2500 diesel. From what I have calculated, a fifth wheel with a 15k GVWR is too much for my truck…or at the max towing capacity.

I want to stay at 80% or less of towing capacity if possible. Just because.

All the nicer 5ers I am looking at have a 15k or 16500k GVWR. I want the best built RV I can find. Am I just too limited in the choices of 5ers with a 3/4 ton truck? Should I stick to a TT? Getting frustrated trying to find a well built Rig that I can safely tow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

You have to consider both the max towing capacity and the max payload. Both values for your truck are specified near the driver's door. The weight of the towed RV must not exceed the max towing capacity of your truck minus the load of passengers and baggages in the truck. This is noted very clearly in the owner's manual. The maximum weight on the pin must be below the payload of your truck minus the load of passengers and baggages. Most of the 3/4 ton diesel trucks have max payload below 3000 pounds and max towing capacity below 14K. The weight on the pin of all 5th wheel you are looking at should be close to 3000 pounds loaded. To carry securely and in accordance to the law you need an F350 or a GMC3500 or RAM3500. They all have a max towing capacity with a diesel engine of around 18K and a payload of 3700 pounds. Most of the gaz engine heavy duty trucks have an higher payload and a lower towing capacity than diesel engine. This is caused by the weight of the diesel engine for the payload and the power of the combination of the diesel and the transmission. My recommendations is to select the RV before the truck.
Toutsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Mattm77318;5881677]All,

Apologies if this has been previously asked. I looked and did not see a similar discussion.

I have a 2020gmc short bed 2500 diesel. From what I have calculated, a fifth wheel with a 15k GVWR is too much for my truck…or at the max towing capacity.

I want to stay at 80% or less of towing capacity if possible. Just because.

All the nicer 5ers I am looking at have a 15k or 16500k GVWR. I want the best built RV I can find. Am I just too limited in the choices of 5ers with a 3/4 ton truck? Should I stick to a TT? Getting frustrated trying to find a well built Rig that I can safely tow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Never forget that if you have an accident with an overloaded truck you may be subject beeing responsible just because your truck is over its weight limits even if the other driver has made a fault. An F350 or any 3500 trucks are built stronger than F250 or any 2500. The empty weight of a one ton truck is higher than the empty weight of a three quarter ton truck.
Toutsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #35

Quote:
An F350 or any 3500 trucks are built stronger than F250 or any 2500. The empty weight of a one ton truck is higher than the empty weight of a three quarter ton truck.
Well thats not a true statement as many Ford folks know.
I'm not a Ford fan but I can read Fleet Ford website weight specs https://fordbbas.com/publicationswhich gives us all the different mechanical specs for each truck configuration that shows where their the same from the trucks frame specs/front and rear axle specs/brake specs/engines/trannies/etc from 2014 and up trucks.

Read and study Fleet Ford specs where we find in some cases theses trucks weigh the same as their the same exact truck....just different gvwr/gawr placards Ford uses for what ever reasons.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow, towing, towing advice