Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

Need advice badly

Hello,

First time user, desperately seeking clarity.

We plan to purchase a travel trailer, maybe a Jayco 28-30', next year or so. We plan to tow this from Texas to Alaska. I think this trailer will work for what we need.

My problem is what to use to tow it...

I know I need a truck. I thought about buying a F250 with the 5.4 gas engine, but I have heard that this model is a dog for power and sucks fuel. I am going to buy a used truck (have to, it's what we can afford in our budget).

There is so much varying info out there I really don't know what to get now. I have been told to look for a Powerstroke diesel because they pull the best and on the highway they can pass and move better than others.

Anyone have any advice for me before I spend money on something that I can't use?

Thank you in advance.

Dave
Brembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You will not go wrong with anything that has a Power Stroke diesel in it, assuming it's in good shape. It will easily tow a 30' TT filled with an average amount of stuff. If you go with a gas engine, a 250/2500 should be your bottom model. Others will answer you with good specific advice about verifying towing capacities and trailer weight, but in general anything with a diesel engine will fit your requirement.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Should I look for a particular Powerstroke engine? I hear that the older motors are better and then some say the new ones are better.

I've never owned a diesel. I'm like a noob. No, I am a noob.

Thanks again.
Brembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Lincoln Navigator with a 5.4 4V engine which may be different than the 5.4 in the Ford... but we towed our first RV which was a 26' 2000 Coachmen and had no problems at all.
texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Find a good used Dodge Cummins and never look back. Will be ready when you decide to get a bigger RV.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
Should I look for a particular Powerstroke engine? I hear that the older motors are better and then some say the new ones are better.

I've never owned a diesel. I'm like a noob. No, I am a noob.

Thanks again.
I have the older 7.3L powerstroke in my 2002 F350 dually. Just getting broken in well at 160k miles. It'll start getting into its prime at 250k I can't speak to the newer ones, because I don't have one and I don't know anyone that does, but I have heard the same thing you have.

The Dodge Cummins chief02 mentioned is a great engine too. My father in-law had a Ram 2500 with it. Drove it grossly, dangerously overloaded every day for years, put 400k on it before he sold it. He had to put a transmission and rear end in it at some point along the way, but the engine still ran strong when he sold it. He was a believer in synthetic oil. I am too.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

A diesel is the way to go. But I'd be careful re the Ford PSD. The 7.3 is a fine engine but did not meet environmental standards so they made the 6.0, lots of problems so they made the 6.4, lots of problems so they made the 6.7, and I guess the jury is still out on it. I'd stay away from the PSD and check the Duramax (GM/Chevy) been around for years, and the Cummins (Dodge) also been around for years. Personally, I've owned a Duramax and a Cummins, the engines are comparable, both will do fine, but I like the amenities of the GM products over the Dodge.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get the powerstroke diesel 7.3 liter engine. The last year built is 2002. Here is a great 1997 with 25k miles, good truck for at least 250k miles: 2L CUSTOM TRUCKS - Pre-Owned
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I second the posts re: get a diesel. I believe they're all good. If you want a Ford, the 7.3 is a great engine. In mid-2003, Ford changed over to the 6.0; that's what I have. Some folks had a lot of problems with the 6.0; but I must have been one of the lucky ones. I did have to replace an injector at about 25,000 miles. Have 109,000 now and I wouldn't trade it, even though I no longer have a trailer. I pulled two different camping trailers and a fifth wheel with it. Power is great, and fuel economy towing is better than the later years. Also, when Ford switched to the 6.0, they put in the Torqshift transmission which seems to be much better than previous trannies.
The Chevy/GMC with Duramax diesel and Allison tranny is a great combination. The Dodge Cummins engine can't be beat. Find the one you like best.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 5.4 with a 4.10 axle will pull what you are asking about...BUT, it will be slow on the hills, spend a lot of time in the lower gears..engine screaming to be up in the power band and won;t pass up many gas stations. For the distance you are looking at, I'd want a 3/4 ton diesel. If you are looking at used...DO NOT get a 6.0L Ford diesel. 2003 and 2004 were horrible and the last year it was not too bad.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #11

My problem is what to use to tow it...

Another vote for the Cummins. It flattens the hills, gets good mileage, and will get the job done for you.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #12

Same thought process for me a year ago. Ended up with a 2008 Ford F250. Great truck, great power, horrible fuel economy. Ok. I know I'm whining. I get maybe 11 pulling 4500 pounds. But boy does it pull.

So after I bought I started to research. Ass backward, but who knew. If I did it over I would have bought the 2007. That was the last year before the diesel particulate filter (which should be called the fuel economy killer option that isn't an option). I thought about chipping it (putting in a computer thingy that allows one to tune the engine). These don't work well unless you take the DPF off which violates your warranty and federal law. I talked to a diesel mechanic and asked him what to do and he said buy a mid 2000s GMC. I'm a Ford guy so that won't work.

Just some more things for you to think about. All said though, for a long trip like you have in mind I think it has got to be 3/4 ton with a diesel. Oh, and some other sage in IRV2 said it best: it ain't the go, it's the whoa that matters. Going is easy, stopping can be a problem if your TV isn't up to the task. The monster F250 does not get pushed around by our current rig and I think I could double the weight and still not have a problem.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Get the powerstroke diesel 7.3 liter engine. The last year built is 2002. Here is a great 1997 with 25k miles, good truck for at least 250k miles: 2L CUSTOM TRUCKS - Pre-Owned

Wow, that's a real find! If it wasn't RED, it'd be a great deal!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #14

Given the current price of diesel fuel, about 70-90 cents a gallon higher, one is prone to think a gas engine would be much cheaper to buy and operate. It might be true, short-term,, but when loaded to its maximum ratings it will likely cost more long-term.
A good used diesel would be my choice. There is one thing you should look for when buying a used diesel truck. "Bombing" is what the younger guys call increasing HP to extreme limits. These trucks were likely ran hard, raced or pulled a sled at some point. Walk away from these trucks because the modifications were probably done by "non-professionals".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote