Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Need advice on further upgrades.

Hello, I am looking for advice on upgrades to my TV and possibly my TT. First off our TT is a Keystone Bullet 248rks with no upgrades done yet. It has a dry weight of 5040# with a gross of 6500#. Our TV is a 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.7 Hemi and 3.21 gears. Upgrades so far have been load E tires, Bilstein shocks, Helwig rear sway bar, rear air bags, and a set of heavier duty rear coil springs. We also use a Equalizer 1000# 4 point WDH.
I don't have a lot of experience with towing a TT, but I believe it tows well with my setup. I don't experience any sway as far as I can tell. Although when a semi passes me I can feel some push/pull on the TT. Generally it happens when I'm passed by a box truck but not so much when I'm passed by a flatbed or tanker truck.
Anyways I am going to upgrade the TT tires soon to a D rated. It currently has Trailer Kings on it and I have read enough on this forum to get rid of them before I use it again in the spring.
So what are your thoughts on what else I can do to improve the handling and reliability of this set-up.
hitekrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Do you have tire pressure sensors on both TT and TV.

I also would recommend an EMS, electric management system for the trailer.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Do you have tire pressure sensors on both TT and TV.

I also would recommend an EMS, electric management system for the trailer.
Tpms on the truck but not the TT. What is an EMS?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

The new Goodyear Endurance (I think that's what they're called) would be good meats for your TT. METAL VALVE STEMS!

Upgrade your TT brakes to disc for your family's safety. Costs about $1,200 if you DIY. You will not regret it. Not hard to do. I did my 30' 5ver years ago. When was the last time you bought a car that had drum (dumb) brakes?

Also look into replacing your TT spring shackle bushings with NeverFail bushings. The cheap plastic bushings that come standard will wear out within a thousand miles. Ask me why I know.

Electric front jack. 400w of solar. 2x 6v GC2 batteries on tongue. Shall I go on?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Really need TPMS on the trailer. A blow out can be both expensive and dangerous.

Energy Management System EMS will protect your trailer from a number of common electrical problems - low voltage, reversed polarity, no ground, high voltage. Campgrounds (including Fed and State) are.notorious for having issues. Any of those issues can destroy your AC, appliances, controller, and wiring.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

EMS:

Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Old 12-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice, I learned a couple things. While I can't do everything listed at this time. I will prioritize what I do. First is tires, I already have placed an order for Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. I will also be getting an EMS system. I never knew about electrical problems at campgrounds. I am also going to replace all the spring bushings. After reading about how fast they can fail, I decided to take a look at mine and yes I can already see wear happening. I only have a little over a 1000 miles on it so far. TPMS will also be ordered soon, as I was already planning on that. I just have to find out which one is best for my needs. I would also like to do disc brakes but that's going to have to happen later. I have not had any problems with the drum brakes that I'm aware of. One of the things that I didn't see mentioned was spring equalizers. As I was searching different websites about spring bushings I kept seeing them also. Are they something worthwhile to invest in? My wife and I are taking a trip to Arizona in April with the camper and I want to improve any critical problem areas to make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:32 AM   #8

So we decided to make an expensive upgrade yesterday. We traded off the 2016 Ram 1500 for a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Night and day difference between the two trucks. Haven't had a chance to tow with the 2500 yet, but I'm sure it will be a more comfortable experience than with the 1500. Honestly should have gotten the 2500 when I bought the 1500, but I didn't think I would need it.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

I had Dexter Equa-Flex equalizers on my 5ver, and now lippert ezflex on my TT. Can't tell any objective difference, but they have to be better because they cost more! Also check out MorRyde equalizers, they may be the best out there.

2x 6v GC2 batteries (I assume your battery is on the trailer tongue). Relocate the spare tire to underneath and use a winch type cable tire hoist to secure. Just like the spare on your new truck! Have a welder reinforce the rear bumper and add a 2" hitch receiver for your bikes. Lotsa mods to do........
Old 12-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I had Dexter Equa-Flex equalizers on my 5ver, and now lippert ezflex on my TT. Can't tell any objective difference, but they have to be better because they cost more! Also check out MorRyde equalizers, they may be the best out there.

2x 6v GC2 batteries (I assume your battery is on the trailer tongue). Relocate the spare tire to underneath and use a winch type cable tire hoist to secure. Just like the spare on your new truck! Have a welder reinforce the rear bumper and add a 2" hitch receiver for your bikes. Lotsa mods to do........
I have been in contact with MorRyde and they don't have an equalizer available yet for my wide axle setup. But they are in development on one with plans to be available sometime in 2018. For right now I am just doing the tires and bushings. Some other odds and ends that my wife wants done.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #11

Have you done the battery upgrade? Do you have an electric front jack (on the a-frame)?

How about a towel rack in the bath? Got TP holder? Paper towel rack in kitchen (make sure its not mounted over or near the stove!)

Fold-out kitchen counter extension? Pull out wire rack for garbage can under sink? Oh, boy, here we go.........
Old 12-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Have you done the battery upgrade? Do you have an electric front jack (on the a-frame)?

How about a towel rack in the bath? Got TP holder? Paper towel rack in kitchen (make sure its not mounted over or near the stove!)

Fold-out kitchen counter extension? Pull out wire rack for garbage can under sink? Oh, boy, here we go.........
LOL, yeah we got the toilet paper holder and towel racks done. I have a manual front jack and I have done nothing with batteries yet.

Tags
advice, upgrade