Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

Need experienced advice about towing

Need some help and advice about towing. I will be purchasing a Flagstaff Super-Lite 26 FKBS, 30 feet end to end. The GAWR=6608 lbs, CCC=2200 lbs,Hitch weight =796 bs. I Currently own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.3 L and the 3.42 axle, Gvwr =7200 lbs, Max tow cap=9600,Max payload =1622 Lbs,Gcwr=15000 lbs,hitch weight max without wd Bar=800 lbs.All the salesman I have spoken with say with an E4 hitch I will have no problems .After doing a lot of reading about towing. I, am beginning to think they are not telling me the whole story. With the tow veh and TT empty I would probably be ok but add some cargo and I think things change. What do you experienced people think please?
Dtbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't had enough coffee yet to do all the math but i'm sure there will be plenty of folks that will jump in on that part. before buying my current class A i towed a Mallard travel trailer with similar specs with an F150 with the max tow package. Even though i was within the weight ratings it was exhausting to drive very far. The truck had plenty of power but the size of the trailer and the weight tosses you around pretty good. For short drives it wasn't a big deal but when we would try to drive more than 200 miles i was completely shot by the end. I would honestly consider either a bigger truck or smaller trailer unless you plan on staying nearby. Just my 2 cents.
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #3

I had the same truck engine in my 2011 GMC sierra towing a similar trailer. I sold the truck and bought an F150 with a 3.5 turbo boost and have been much happier. I’m still near my limit but the eco boost has more horsepower and torque. I sometimes wish I would’ve gone with a three-quarter ton and a bigger engine but this is my daily driver. That equalizer hitch should be fine if you get the 10,000 pound version
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

You will be close to maxed out on paper. I would suggest that you get it hitched up and go camping somewhere close and just see how it does. While your out with your truck and trailer, stop by the scales and weigh everything.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #5

I towed a slightly longer trailer with the same GVWR with my similarly equipped 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. I used a Reese WDH with their integrated cam-lok sway control. This setup towed fine for me.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

DO not believe sales people! My son purchased a new f250 75 k then a pull behind camper all fine. A year later camper not big enough so he bought a new 5th wheel dealer said no problem on truck. Which ended up BS so back to ford dealer for another truck f350 dully. So do your home work most 1/2 tons trucks pull a lot less than you think. People think their trucks can pull it fine till the hit the freeway and all bets are off.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

I tow a 27' T/T at about the same weight 6500 to 7000 ready to camp with a 2010 GMC 1500 crew cab and it tows perfect. its been to Alaska from Oregon and back east. its easy to drive 300+ miles and run about 65 most of the time. the engine has plenty of power if you don't try and drive it like an old 50s pickup. getting your setup correct is real important, this is tire pressure, hitch adjustment, cargo loading. this all makes for a pleasant tow.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

I pull basically the same size and weight trailer with my 2015 Silverado 1500.
I have the Equalizer 1400 lb hitch. I added were Timbrens to stop the rear end squat. Also replaced the stock P rated tires with Cooper Discover AT3 E rated.

Pulls with no problems. never dropped below 55 up any hill.

The 2014 and up 5.3 has more torque and horsepower than previous years.

BTW, mines a toy hauler so when the bikes onboard I am
adding an extra 800lbs. over the axles. Still not maxed out.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

This online weight calculator will not lie to you. It requires actual weights vs estimates or mfgrs. published figures. It even offers the choice of selecting a 20%(or less/more) safety cushion for towing.
If you decide to keep/use your present pickup, the first thing to do is change from the OEM P rated tires to LT tires, which have stiffer sidewalls that reduce sway and tire roll.
FWIW, I have a '13 Silverado K1500, I can haul bulky stuff, but the bottom line is, it's a grocery getter I tow behind our MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #10

If you want that trailer and have the truck I will say you will be maxing out your truck. But that is ok if you are going to travel to the local state parks and travel back roads and travel at a max 55 mph. Your truck will handle that speed nicely.

I used a maxed out Honda Ridgeline for 3 years towing locally...but when I tried to tow at 65 - 70 mph on the highway it was a white knuckle towing experience. Lucky it was just 10 miles.

So there you go. Depends on local travel or distance travel. For distance travel you will probably want a bigger truck. For local travel your truck will be fine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #11

On your specs, the hitch weight is too low for the trailer weight. By the time you load up the food and cooking supplies and some bedding, I suspect you will be closer to 1,200 lbs. The only way to really know is to actually load it and then weigh it.

If you want to take it to the lake in April and go fetch it in October, you can make it work. If you have in mind frequent tows over longer distances, you will likely be unhappy.

Consider a recent vintage (last 8 years or so) 3/4 ton or 1 ton, Diesel. They changed to springs so that they all ride a lot like the 1/2 ton, but haul a lot more without squatting with the headlights pointing at the moon. They are all available in the same footprint and turning radius. The 1-ton allows for upgrades.

Experience:
1/2 ton, tent trailer. 27ft 7,000lb TT, changed to 3/4 Diesel. Mileage, 7 to 13.
10,000 lb TT, 1 ton long bed dually, same truck, 16,000 lb 5th.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I pull basically the same size and weight trailer with my 2015 Silverado 1500.
I have the Equalizer 1400 lb hitch. I added were Timbrens to stop the rear end squat. Also replaced the stock P rated tires with Cooper Discover AT3 E rated.

Pulls with no problems. never dropped below 55 up any hill.

The 2014 and up 5.3 has more torque and horsepower than previous years.

BTW, mines a toy hauler so when the bikes onboard I am
adding an extra 800lbs. over the axles. Still not maxed out.

If you can keep with traffic on freeway your truck will be ok.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #13

I don't think you'll like towing that big box with your 1/2 ton 5.3 unless you live where it's relatively flat everywhere. If you're planning on venturing out and will be in the mountains then get used to that 5.3 screaming for mercy.
Stability wise will also be a challenge. You'll be near 7500+ lbs loaded and @31' it won't take much of a side wind to push your combo around.
Another factor is the TT is a front kitchen so all the heavy stuff will be in front of the axles. Add in propane, fresh water, stuff in the basement and you'll be pushing over 1000 lbs on the tongue. You'll need 1200+ spring bars.
Also check your trucks max receiver rating. 1622 lbs for payload is going to get eaten up pretty fast with a front kitchen. And those weights for the TT are brochure weights and are never correct. 99% of the time the TT weighs more, so you'll have a heavier TW as a result. The 6608 lb GAWR is really the UVW. You need to add to that for a loaded weight.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My towing experience over the years has told me to not be at maximum capacity of your tow vehicle.

Most 1/2 ton trucks can pull most ball hitch trailers. Where it gets dicey is when any sway sets in, or emergency braking needs to be done.

That is my FWIW comments.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow, towing