Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #1

Need Help - Is it the WDH or the truck?

Excited for my first post because I've already tried a few things to no avail. I'll put all the specs below so I'll try to be short. Upgraded from a Flagstaff 21ds to a Rockwood 2509s. Exact specs are below but I essentially went up about total trailer weight of about 1000lbs and tongue weight 200lbs. My TV is a 2011 F150 5.0 w/max tow package 145' wheelbase.

With the Flagstaff I used an EAZ Lift w/Sway Control and I never had any issues at all. Because of the increase in tongue weight, after going with the Rockwood, I had to get a new WDH so after some research I changed to a Blue Ox TrackPro. I took the new trailer out to last weekend to the same place we always took the previous trailer and it was a nightmare. I felt like I was getting pushed all over the place by both wind and passing vehicles. I white knuckled it all the way home and have spent the last week trying to dial-in the WDH. I've towed it with trailer and truck fully loaded and unloaded. I even bought a tongue weight scale to ensure proper loading and I'm still feeling like the trailer is pushing me around at any speed over 50mph.

My question for all of you experts out there is whether or not I should try a new WDH or did the upsizing of trailer just push my F150 to the max? I should also mention that my experience was so stressful that it may be a bit in my head at this point. I have no experience pulling anything else so maybe this is just the norm but I'm hoping it's not. I would love to hear what you all have to say.

Specs:
TV: 2011 F150 Supercrew 4x4 145' 3.55 gear ratio GVWR 7530 Cooper ATP II E rated tires
New TT: 2019 Rockwood 2509S Dry Weight 5300lbs (6150lbs loaded) Tongue Weight 725lbs (760lbs loaded)
Old TT: 2017 Flagstaff 21ds Dry Weight 4250 (4950lbs loaded) Tongue Weight 525lbs (545lbs loaded)
mkrosal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NO Expert, but are you remembering to jack up hitch to max before cocking/latching the WD? and are your TIRE PRESSURES matching driver's door label? Does TV sit LEVEL when hitched?
Old 06-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #3

I towed a 5,500 lb. Gulfstream Streamlite 22SLB which was 26.5' over all with a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre with the max tow option. I used a Drawtite WD hitch. This combo towed great w/o any sway. I towed 70 - 72mph w/o any push from semi's or any sway.

I towed this same trailer with the exact same set up with a generation 1 Honda Ridgeline and had what you describe. Lots of push from semi's and sway over 55 mph. I was very happy with the 2011 F-150 trade as it did exacly what I wanted.

I am showing a length less than 26' for the Rockwood. That should be well within the towing capibility of your truck. I do not know what could cause all the sway.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
NO Expert, but are you remembering to jack up hitch to max before cocking/latching the WD? and are your TIRE PRESSURES matching driver's door label? Does TV sit LEVEL when hitched?
Yes on the hitching up. I've tried both door label (35psi) and 55psi since I upgraded to E rated tires. The TV isn't level without the trailer, 39.5 rear and 38 front but when WDH installed it goes back to these measurements. No sag.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

I’m not an expert on travel trailers. Had two and hated them for the reasons you mentioned.
However there is some good advice here for you and I’m sure you will do well. Good luck with your new purchase. Wish you many happy miles.
One thought I had though, have you tried adding some weight to your truck. Say 4-500 lbs as close to the cab as you can get. Just watch the CCC of your truck. Suggest sandbags.

In the meantime, welcome aboard. Hope to see you at our campfire sometime.
Keep us posted.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrosal View Post
Excited for my first post because I've already tried a few things to no avail. I'll put all the specs below so I'll try to be short. Upgraded from a Flagstaff 21ds to a Rockwood 2509s. Exact specs are below but I essentially went up about total trailer weight of about 1000lbs and tongue weight 200lbs. My TV is a 2011 F150 5.0 w/max tow package 145' wheelbase.

With the Flagstaff I used an EAZ Lift w/Sway Control and I never had any issues at all. Because of the increase in tongue weight, after going with the Rockwood, I had to get a new WDH so after some research I changed to a Blue Ox TrackPro. I took the new trailer out to last weekend to the same place we always took the previous trailer and it was a nightmare. I felt like I was getting pushed all over the place by both wind and passing vehicles. I white knuckled it all the way home and have spent the last week trying to dial-in the WDH. I've towed it with trailer and truck fully loaded and unloaded. I even bought a tongue weight scale to ensure proper loading and I'm still feeling like the trailer is pushing me around at any speed over 50mph.

My question for all of you experts out there is whether or not I should try a new WDH or did the upsizing of trailer just push my F150 to the max? I should also mention that my experience was so stressful that it may be a bit in my head at this point. I have no experience pulling anything else so maybe this is just the norm but I'm hoping it's not. I would love to hear what you all have to say.

Specs:
TV: 2011 F150 Supercrew 4x4 145' 3.55 gear ratio GVWR 7530 Cooper ATP II E rated tires
New TT: 2019 Rockwood 2509S Dry Weight 5300lbs (6150lbs loaded) Tongue Weight 725lbs (760lbs loaded)
Old TT: 2017 Flagstaff 21ds Dry Weight 4250 (4950lbs loaded) Tongue Weight 525lbs (545lbs loaded)
I'm an Equal-i-Zer guy so this doesn't impact me, but Blue Ox is one of the WDHs that recommend turning off your truck's factory anti-sway control....of which Ford has.

Below is an excerpt from the TrackPro manual:

Issue: There is excessive sway.

Resolution: Excessive sway may indicate that the trailer is improperly loaded. As a guideline, the tongue weight should be 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight. If it is not, redistribute the weight accordingly. If you encounter continuous sway or swaying that does not dissipate quickly, adjust the load.

Resolution: For all truck models with factory sway control, it is suggested that the sway control be disabled for the best performance of the Blue Ox® TrackPro™.

If you are certain you have installed the hitch correctly and are loaded appropriately, the above is worth a shot. You're tongue weight falls within the accepted range. The manual also recommends inflating your truck tires to 90% of max PSI listed on the sidewall.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #7

The Blue Ox is a very good WDH. So I don't think that is the problem unless it is not dialed in properly. Try setting it up a little higher to see if that helps. If you do, it may porpoise a bit going over bumps. But, if there is less sway, just put up with the porpoising. Your truck should be able to pull 6,000 lbs., but that may be close to the max. It is likely that the tires on the trailer are rate for speeds no higher than 65 mph.

My trailer tows fine, but I do get pushed around a little bit by passing semi trucks. Once I got used to it, I felt comfortable towing.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
The Blue Ox is a very good WDH. So I don't think that is the problem unless it is not dialed in properly. Try setting it up a little higher to see if that helps. If you do, it may porpoise a bit going over bumps. But, if there is less sway, just put up with the porpoising. Your truck should be able to pull 6,000 lbs., but that may be close to the max. It is likely that the tires on the trailer are rate for speeds no higher than 65 mph.

My trailer tows fine, but I do get pushed around a little bit by passing semi trucks. Once I got used to it, I felt comfortable towing.
Thanks for the advice. I just raised the L bracket a bit. It was extremely difficult to put on and I already noticed quite a bit of metal wear on the bracket. It seems like it's doing the job of weight distro and I'm definitely learning about porpoising. I am starting to think that I just need to get used to being pushed around a bit.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
I'm an Equal-i-Zer guy so this doesn't impact me, but Blue Ox is one of the WDHs that recommend turning off your truck's factory anti-sway control....of which Ford has.

Below is an excerpt from the TrackPro manual:

Issue: There is excessive sway.

Resolution: Excessive sway may indicate that the trailer is improperly loaded. As a guideline, the tongue weight should be 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight. If it is not, redistribute the weight accordingly. If you encounter continuous sway or swaying that does not dissipate quickly, adjust the load.

Resolution: For all truck models with factory sway control, it is suggested that the sway control be disabled for the best performance of the Blue Ox® TrackPro™.

If you are certain you have installed the hitch correctly and are loaded appropriately, the above is worth a shot. You're tongue weight falls within the accepted range. The manual also recommends inflating your truck tires to 90% of max PSI listed on the sidewall.
Thanks for sending this over. The PSI is interesting, I've been struggling to get a good answer on it and have found many threads on this topic. I might try out the 90% even though it's well above the 35psi recommended on the door jam.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrosal View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just raised the L bracket a bit. It was extremely difficult to put on and I already noticed quite a bit of metal wear on the bracket. It seems like it's doing the job of weight distro and I'm definitely learning about porpoising. I am starting to think that I just need to get used to being pushed around a bit.
With that truck and trailer combo you should not be white-knuckling your way through a tow. That's a higher end WDH, not a HF special. I would double-check your installation, following the steps in the manual, taking appropriate measurements etc. as you go. That metal wear on the bracket doesn't sound like it should be happening.

Finally, while I'm not sure how or why the Ford anti-sway system could impact the performance of the Blue Ox, since the Ford system reacts when sway occurs - and not before - Blue Ox does recommend disabling it. I recall previous posts about this on Ford truck forums with some users stating they've had positive results upon disabling.

Good luck!
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get tv and tt weights.
Might be overweight.
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:01 PM   #12

What is it with guys pulling heavy trailers around with half-ton pickups?
My trailer's UVW is just under 4900 lbs. with a GVWR of just over 7,600 lbs.,
and there's now way in hell I'd wanna be tugging it around with a half-ton.
You need a 3/4-ton, and I would have
recommended the SwayPro over the TrackPro.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum. You might try this as it is free and simple. The point where your sway bars hit the bracket is a moving high friction point and contributes to the anti-sway portion of your hitch. Inspect the paint on the top of the brackets and the bottom of the bars to make sure it has worn off evenly across the surfaces. If your powder coating is still intact, remove it so you have metal on metal friction. Could be your brackets are angled and are providing poor engagement or the paint is creating a slick joint. You should be able to tow comfortably with your gear.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:56 PM   #14

Again - my 2011 F-150 5.0 litre towed my 5,500lb 26.5' long 2008 Gulfstream Streamlite 22SLB rock solid. I used just a simple Drawtite WD hitch. This was one of my favorite combos and towed as well as when I had a dually truck towing a 5th wheel. The Drawtite WD hitch tied the truck and trailer together so it worked more like 1 unit. My 2011 F-150 had sway control built in and I never had to disable it. This combo towed so well I let the wife drive for a few hours. My F-150 had the bigger fuel tank which was part of the tow package.

I know what sway and semi push/pull feels like because of the Honda Ridgeline. All that was gone with the F-150.

I towed with this combo from Columbus Ohio to Crystal River Florida which was 950 non eventful miles. Again I towed at 70 - 72 mph rock solid.

This list your trailer at 25' 11" hitch to end. That is less length than I towed at 26.5'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220606_005053.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	367547
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help