Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Need nerf bars or running boards

I just bought a 2014 Ford F-150 Supercrew cab. Now my wife wants me to install nerfs bars or running boards so she'll have any easier time getting in.
Does anybody have any advise about nerf bars vs running boards? Material--chrome, aluminum, ABS. Style--tubular or flat. Recommendations re manufacturers and online retail outlets. Youtube videos make them look easy to install. Any foreseeable problems?
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
KJD

I put on stainless steel need bars on the wife's expedition a couple years ago . They still look new . I had chucks trucks here in Kansas city put them on but any body could do it real easy . I was just lazy .
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

I had SS on my 07 and they looked like new when I traded it in last month, so I went with SS on the new truck. I got them from truckchamp.com. They had the best price on 5" oval steps. Had them in 3 days and on the truck in 30 minutes.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

Just bought Lund brand 5" oval, black for my 2013 F150 SuperCrew Lariat. Look great. Shopped around and ended up on AutoAnything.com.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

SS nerf are better with the steps. Might protect doors when a Smart car hits you. Running boards bend too easy and stick out too far.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Autoanything has real good pricing and is worth checking out. Stainless will look good for a long time. Neef bars vs running boards, that all depends on what style you like. Just do add a mother choice, have you considered retractable running boards that drop down when the door opens and tuck up for improved clearance and looks when the doors are closed.
Meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe they are better know as step bars. Pick a style that suites your test and that are mounted firmly to the truck frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

I have the N-fab tubular with drop down step. They mount on the pinch weld under the cab. Kinda disappointed that they didn't frame mount. Installed myself with a drill, 2 wrenches, and a craftsman adjustable stool to hold them while I did the work, in about an hour total.
I have had the tube step and running boards on previous trucks. It is pretty much preference in looks.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have the OEM stainless cab steps on my F-150. Perfect for my 82-year-old DW to climb up into the pickup. Nerf bars have a narrower step, and elderly folks need the wider step of the cab steps.

My Ford dealer has several sets of SuperCrew take-off cab steps in his shop. He sells them cheap to anyone with an F-150 SuperCrew. One of his fleet customers orders dozens of identical new trucks with the cab steps, but then removes them from a few of the trucks before taking delivery. Other customers of new F-150s (and Super Duties) buy a truck that has the nice factory cab steps, but remove them because they are not macho enough for their tastes. So anyhow, check with your dealer's service department to see if they have take-offs in stock.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I found Nerf Bars on Ebay for my new old (2001) Ranger. I just got it and in two days I had developed a bruise on my left leg from hitting it getting out. Bought them on the 6th and they arrive on the 11th UPS. I sympathize with your wife.

99 11 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4DR Chrome Side Step Stainless Nerf Bars | eBay

They are in California. Here is a link to the products they offer for your 150.
http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Max-Styl..._sid=104937093
Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

Thanks for the great advice. I'll start shopping.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I plan on putting a set of Romik SS running boards on mine. The Co has been in business for many years and they build them here, in the USA. You can get cheaper ones made in china, I won't do it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #13

Put flat top bars on my F-150 because the wiffie wanted a step. Took the one on my side and removed it as I kept hitting it getting in an out as I don't need it. She loves the one on her side. Took 20 mins each to put on. 5 mins to get off :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went with the running boards due to the potential chance of slipping off a bar when it got wet or icy.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote