Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Question Need Some Advice

I am looking a truck to pull a 27' 5th wheel that max out at under 10K lbs. I just looked at a '07 3500 dually, Duramax, crew cab, long bed, 4wd with 130K miles. It is a lot more truck than I need, but the price is nice and it seems to be in great shape. It has every imaginable option, even a sun roof.

I like the truck, but I do have some concerns. First, is the Bully Dog chip set on it. The owner (a forestry company) assures me that it was always set in the tow mode, but who knows? Might have this have introduced any problems?

My other concern is that the exhaust was modified to dual 6" straight pipes. The chrome pipes behind the cab look great and are certainly efficient and will really hold down the EGT. However, could they interfere with the 5er when backing into tight spots, or is the 8' bed long enough to avoid that problem?

Lastly, if my wife decides that the volume from the straight pipes is intolerable, how big a deal would it be to get a muffler installed"

Thanks or taking the time,
Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My advice

First off, if it's chipped you need gauges. EGT Guage at the very least. I have a chipped 7.3 with a mild tow program and it's quite easy to get up to the red zone going up hills. Also, don't shut it down until the EGT is below 300F. Sometimes mine has to idle for 5 minutes or so after a long uphill pull, but usually no more than 10 to 30 seconds.

You'll probably need two mufflers. But that depends on where the 'split' was done. Diesel mufflers tend to be straight through and work best that way. Don't let anybody sell you a gasser muffler. I 'did' my truck in 2001 and I not sure that brands are hot anymore.

Or you could do what I did, convince her that 'that sound' is MUSIC! The sound of power!

The problem of backing the fiver could be solved with a slider hitch, if it is even a problem. It depends on the design of the fifth wheel. I'm guess ing that a 'short bed friendly' fiver would not give you any problem. You will be blowing some hot exhaust on your cap and it might soot it up over time. It's not a common set up.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I like the truck, but I do have some concerns. First, is the Bully Dog chip set on it. The owner (a forestry company) assures me that it was always set in the tow mode, but who knows? Might have this have introduced any problems?
Probably none that you can't recognize now. If it runs good and sounds good and pulls good, then it's probably okay.

Quote:
My other concern is that the exhaust was modified to dual 6" straight pipes. The chrome pipes behind the cab look great and are certainly efficient and will really hold down the EGT. However, could they interfere with the 5er when backing into tight spots, or is the 8' bed long enough to avoid that problem?
If you mean dual stacks exhaust like the one in the image below, then you may need to use a slider hitch instead of an ordinary 5er hitch. No big problem, but the slider costs a coupla hundred bucks more than an ordinary 5er hitch.

(Photo courtesy Black Cloud Diesel)

Quote:
Lastly, if my wife decides that the volume from the straight pipes is intolerable, how big a deal would it be to get a muffler installed"
You simply add a muffler inside each stack. Here's the blurb at Black Cloud Diesel:

Internal Muffler
Aluminized Steel, Straight Through muffler helps reduce harsh exhaust tones. Sold Individually

IM-518 For 5", 6", 7", & 8" Stack with 5" O.D. base $40.00 each

plus UPS Shipping

Click on this link, then scroll down to near the bottom of the screen
Grand Rock Stacks Diesel Smoke Stacks Exhaust Systems for Pickup Trucks --www.blackclouddiesel.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #4

1. It is impossible to have too much truck. Period!
2. On an 8 ft bed I doubt the stacks will pose a problem, but as already mentioned a slider hitch is the solution.

If you are that concerned take the truck for an inspection and have the tranny looked at. I be more concerned if the truck was chipped because it's much easier to screw things up when you have lots of options. For a TV that size all you should need is tow mod selected. I'd bet it's fine.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Thanks guys,

To answer SmokeyWren: Yes, it looks just like your photo.

In any event, I have decided to keep looking. The reason that i am looking at long bed trucks is that I don't want to have to deal with a slider. If I want to install a slider, I would look at short bed trucks and have a much bigger selection.

I am also still a little concerned about buying any chipped truck. I worry about how it had been used.

Thanks again,
Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote