Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Here's a good rule of thumb chart to follow:

As a matter of fact, the entire article on eTrailer, where this chart is from, offers a great explanation on weights, capacities, ratings etc. A good read for anyone starting out.
I'd take that chart with a grain of salt as well. I love the way our current setup tows. Long wheelbase (164") 2016 F-150 towing a 25' Winnebago Minnie (5800lbs loaded) but honestly I wouldn't go any bigger with this truck, and definitely NOT 34'

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'd take that chart with a grain of salt as well. I love the way our current setup tows. Long wheelbase (164") 2016 F-150 towing a 25' Winnebago Minnie (5800lbs loaded) but honestly I wouldn't go any bigger with this truck, and definitely NOT 34'

Agree....with an F150. Now with a 164" wb F250/350, different story. As stated, chart is a good rule of thumb but not the final answer. You still need to stay under your other caps.

An F150, even a long wb model, would likely push/exceed payload on a 34' travel trailer, whereas it would be a non-issue for a 3/4 (even a diesel) or 1-ton.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerneysa View Post
Fascinating thread, timely as my wife just bought essentially the same truck and I'm continuing my journey to find a non-5th wheel travel trailer we like that her 2021 F-150 can safely tow on our highways and byways as we get passed in both directions by big rigs.

This thread has me thinking we need to cut 10+ feet off our perspective trailer lengths and target closer to 25'.

Is there any science out there you can point me to that addresses the safety relationship between length of travel trailer vs tow vehicle specs?

I'm guessing this relationship is non-linear such that twice as short is much more than twice as safe.

Or just keep things simple and, after taking accurate measurements on a scale ensuring specs are below max, keep trailer max length to 30' or less?
Personally, my "half ton line in the sand" is about 6500lbs loaded and 25' max though many people push it a bit more than that......7,000lbs and 27-ish ft (ball to bumper, not box length) and I'd definitely start to look for a larger truck or smaller trailer. I'd consider the typical CC, 6' box to be regular wb; long box would help stability but not significantly raise the payload/tow capacity. I'd avoid towing anything substantial with a regular cab short box.

11,000 lbs and 40' and I'd be choosing between a 1 ton SRW and 1 ton dually!

2 cents,

Dave
Old 02-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess the OP has gone away. I hope he will either rent a heavier truck or borrow one or get it towed. No way would I hang a 40' bumper pull trailer on a 1/2 ton truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Look at that trailer, then look at your little truck. If you really think your truck can still tow it, have at it.

Towing and controlling are two different things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Agreed !

I am continuously astounded by those that don't realize that there is a lot more to TOWING.......than simple pulling.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

11,000 lbs and 40' and I'd be choosing between a 1 ton SRW and 1 ton dually!

2 cents,

Dave
Really? I tow a 12.5K LBS bumper toyhauler with a 2015 GMC Denali 2500. Scale verifired that I am well within my RAWR. No handling issues at all (thanks to propride). Easy one handed driving even in crosswinds and passing Semi's.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv Todd View Post
Really? I tow a 12.5K LBS bumper toyhauler with a 2015 GMC Denali 2500. Scale verifired that I am well within my RAWR. No handling issues at all (thanks to propride). Easy one handed driving even in crosswinds and passing Semi's.
Yep really. I didn't say it wasn't possible with a 3/4 ton and the Propride certainly helps but if I was going to buy a truck to haul an 11k or 12.5k trailer, I'd start looking at a 1 ton SRW's myself and if it got to be much more (or 40' long), I'd seriously consider a DRW. In reality there isn't a ton of physical differences between most 3/4 tons and 1 ton SRW's......nothing like the differences between a 1/2 ton and HD pickup.

What's your GVWR and Payload look like?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #50

....nevermind I saw your other thread indicating you have 214lbs of payload left over so you're good.....just. I prefer to have more available payload for an extra passenger or two, room to carry something in the bed or what have you.

Of course if your truck was a diesel instead of a gasser, that would put you over as well.

So, is it an SV650 that you race?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #51

Well, I input my few cents. I have a 40-foot travel trailer and my tow vehicle has an 11,000 lb tow limit too. However, I'll bet there is a huge difference in the 'towing experience'. My tow vehicle is a 2005 Ford Excursion with a 6.0L diesel. The Excursion is built on the Ford F-250 platform and performs like it to. In short, the platform I have tows with precision and ease. I think you need a heftier platform...IMO. Good Luck.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:37 PM   #52

A white knuckle drive at the very least. The first eighteen wheeler that passes you, the truck will be wagged from side to side by the back of the trailer being pushed by the wind from the tractor trailer. After three or four trucks have passed you, remember your 55-65 mph, you will know what to expect and hold the steering wheel tighter with every approaching truck.
If you read the Ford specs, fine print, it will probably have more limitations for frontal area of trailer etc. Towing a rectangular box TT, is no comparison to towing a flat bed trailer with a load of steel or concrete.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:38 PM   #53

Quote:
In reality there isn't a ton of physical differences between most 3/4 tons and 1 ton SRW's.
Like, same frame, brakes, engine, and transmission, at least on the GM trucks. Until recently in the GMs the difference was the springs on the rear suspension and the payload sticker and not much else. It was even the same rear axle and tires. IIRC on the 2020 and newer GM trucks the 3500 has a beefier ring gear and no torque limiter in 1st gear and maybe a beefier rear axle (not sure on that though). But for towing a TT (and not a fiver with all the weight in the bed) basically no physical difference that matters.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
Like, same frame, brakes, engine, and transmission, at least on the GM trucks. Until recently in the GMs the difference was the springs on the rear suspension and the payload sticker and not much else. It was even the same rear axle and tires. IIRC on the 2020 and newer GM trucks the 3500 has a beefier ring gear and no torque limiter in 1st gear and maybe a beefier rear axle (not sure on that though). But for towing a TT (and not a fiver with all the weight in the bed) basically no physical difference that matters.
Modern F-250 vs F-350 SRW is the same story. It's basically a sticker upgrade on the door jam and higher registration fees in some states.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:33 AM   #55

Quote:
....nevermind I saw your other thread indicating you have 214lbs of payload left over so you're good.....just. I prefer to have more available payload for an extra passenger or two, room to carry something in the bed or what have you.

Of course if your truck was a diesel instead of a gasser, that would put you over as well.

So, is it an SV650 that you race?

Cheers,
Dave
Yes I have a 2000 SV650 with a mild superbike build engine and GSXR front forks that we endurance race.

My spring bike is a custom tube frame with a superbike build SV650 engine. 90+hp/ 295 lbs.

In November we took a long distance trip from Buffalo,NY to biringham, AL to Barber Motorsorts Park, with my son and daughter in-law in the truck also. I put more ligther stuff in the bed of the truck than usual and put more weight in the garage of the toyhauler. (Something you can get away with using the propride that you wouldn't want to do with a conventional WDH). I also waited until we were near the racetrack to fill the fuel station.

I might have been slightly over the payload number but not over RAWR or rear tire ratings and likely pushing close to GCWR. It was a smooth uneventful trip.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loney View Post
A white knuckle drive at the very least. The first eighteen wheeler that passes you, the truck will be wagged from side to side by the back of the trailer being pushed by the wind from the tractor trailer. After three or four trucks have passed you, remember your 55-65 mph, you will know what to expect and hold the steering wheel tighter with every approaching truck.
If you read the Ford specs, fine print, it will probably have more limitations for frontal area of trailer etc. Towing a rectangular box TT, is no comparison to towing a flat bed trailer with a load of steel or concrete.

Ken
Slap a propride hitch on that combo and everything you just talked about goes away, completely. Still doesn't solve going over the payload or RAWR through.

Tags
advice, tow, towing, towing advice, trailer