Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #1

Need some help selecting tow vehicle

I'm a 65 yr/old female looking to get into RVing. I haven't bought a camper yet, but I have researched extensively online. I believe I will be alone for a lot of my travels, so I want something easy to handle. I'm leaning towards the In Tech Luna Rover. It's lightweight and you can get one with a cassette toilet.
I've been researching tow vehicles and making myself crazy. I currently own an Acura RDX, 2015, but it will tow only 1,500 lbs. I want a tow vehicle that can tow at least 5,000 lbs., I believe, just to be safe. I've looked at Toyota Highlanders, but you have to buy one with an installed tow package, Toyota 4 Runners, Nissan Pathfinders, Dodge Durango, Grand Cherokee, and Honda Pilot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be buying a used vehicle-

Thanks!!
mert1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and kick some tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mert1984 View Post
I'm a 65 yr/old female looking to get into RVing. I haven't bought a camper yet, but I have researched extensively online. I believe I will be alone for a lot of my travels, so I want something easy to handle. I'm leaning towards the In Tech Luna Rover. It's lightweight and you can get one with a cassette toilet.
I've been researching tow vehicles and making myself crazy. I currently own an Acura RDX, 2015, but it will tow only 1,500 lbs. I want a tow vehicle that can tow at least 5,000 lbs., I believe, just to be safe. I've looked at Toyota Highlanders, but you have to buy one with an installed tow package, Toyota 4 Runners, Nissan Pathfinders, Dodge Durango, Grand Cherokee, and Honda Pilot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be buying a used vehicle-

Thanks!!
I would start considering a pickup truck. Once you get one of the pick-ups, you can put a cap on the bed and have extra storage area. A 4-door pick-up will give you plenty of room for grocery shopping and traveling.
I would look at a 2500 series truck, so you don't need to worry about hauling concerns.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #4

Hi Mert,
The Luna has a GVWR of 2,400 lbs and a dry tongue weight of 270 lbs. so, you need a tow vehicle that can tow at least 3,000 lbs and is capable oh handling a hitch weight of 300 lbs or more. This means the tow vehicle needs a cargo carry capacity (payload) larger than the weight of two people, plus the hitch weight, plus whatever else you put into the tow vehicle. I say 300 lbs hitch weight because your wet hitch (loaded trailer) weight is likely to be 12% or more of the trailer GVWR. Additionally, I noticed the trailer comes with a crank tongue jack. Cranking that thing will get real old real fast. When I was 65 I wouldn’t have wanted to crank a jack. You’ll probably want to opt for an electric tongue jack. That will add about 25 lbs to you tongue weight. Final thought: it is much, much easier to buy a tow vehicle with a factory installed tow package including a dash mounted brake controller. This will save you time and money, and avoid any potential problems with operating the trailer brakes. You can find used mid-size SUVs and pickups with factory tow package that would be great for towing the Luna. And, they will be small enough to be easy to park, and get good fuel economy. IMHO, a mid-size pickup gives you far more capability and flexibility than an SUV. And if you put a tonneau on it, they can carry lots more stuff semi-protected from the elements in the bed, with full protection inside the cab. Try taking a look at 5 year old Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma, or Nissan Frontier. Honda Ridgeline might also be a good choice. Each of these have SUV equivalents built on the same platform.

Good Luck, and Hapoy Camping
Old 06-16-2022, 05:56 PM   #5

I'll take a look at trucks again. Thanks!!
mert1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:27 PM   #6

Welcome from Blythewood. Born and still have family in Aiken, and Augusta.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to IRV2.

The best place for help and friendly people.

Try posting you question under RV Forum - Towing and Tow Vehicles.
I am a motorhome owner but you will find some real pro’s on IRV2 that can help you.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #8

You listed a bunch of SUV's. I am not an SUV fan because 150/1500 series trucks ride just as well, are luxury vehicles and can tow more.

I would recommend a F-150 Lariat or higher trim level (Platinum or Limited) with the 2.7 Eco-Boost and a T@B 400 or even a T@B 320.

Trucks are the leading vehicles sold in the U.S. because they are really nice to ride in.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You listed a bunch of SUV's. I am not an SUV fan because 150/1500 series trucks ride just as well, are luxury vehicles and can tow more.

I would recommend a F-150 Lariat or higher trim level (Platinum or Limited) with the 2.7 Eco-Boost and a T@B 400 or even a T@B 320.

Trucks are the leading vehicles sold in the U.S. because they are really nice to ride in.
Agree. And when you're camping there is always something dirty that you have to carry that you don't want to put into the back of you SUV.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Agree. And when you're camping there is always something dirty that you have to carry that you don't want to put into the back of you SUV.
Agree with the two previous posts……and I don’t trailer.
Also, there may be times when you might need to refill propane tanks and not move your trailer, or tow the “Blue Boy” to the pump out. Neither of which you want inside an SUV.
I love the comfort of the newer 1/2 tons…..and there’s lots to select from within a given price range.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the 1/2 ton truck as it will be more comfortable and has more capability. If you need to cover stuff in the back, get either a bed cover or a cap for the bed. Fuel economy will not be that much different.

Most of the SUVs have a relatively high center of gravity which does not lead them to good road manners when towing. Something else that you will find is that the shorter the wheelbase on the trailer, the harder it is to back.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #12

Yes, a half ton would be better but the Luna is 1800lbs dry (I don't see a listed GVWR) so an SUV with a 5,000 lb rating should do OK as long as the wheelbase is long enough and it's set up properly. ....just don't make the mistake of thinking a vehicle with a 5,000 lb max tow rating is a good choice for a TT weighing 5,000 lbs!

2 cents,
Dave
Old 06-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #13

Instead of buying a camper and tow vehicle maybe consider a Sprinter based camper? That would be an all in one but might work out well.

Checkout dealer lots, maybe even goto a campground walk around and strike up a conversation with owners of units you find appealing.

Also checkout https://www.outdoorsy.com/ for rentals so you can give it a try for a night or 2, 3.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #14

Make sure that whatever you buy will fit in your garage. A 1/2 ton pickup might not. A midsize pickup like a GMC Canyon or a Nissan Frontier will probably fit, and they will still be able to tow your trailer.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow