Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, stay with a < 30 ft TT for ease in campgrounds. Go to a parking lot with someone so you can learn your blind spots. Make turns so you learn your creep of the TT. When backing make small adjustments. You'll soon be able to thread a needle with it.
For me, went to work with large electric utility back in 73. Foreman said go get that line truck (30K lb 4x4 boom truck) and hook it up to that 65 ft pole. I learned how to tow that day.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #30

#1 rule in backing - DON'T !
I'll modify that by saying, just be mindful of your surroundings and try not to get into situations where backing out is difficult/ impossible! Forget drivers Ed, set your mirrors so the inside edge just gives you a sliver of the tow vehicle, and trailer when straight. Put your hands at 10 and two on the wheel, back slowly scanning from mirror to mirror. If you see the trailer coming into view in the right mirror, pull down the right hand, turning the steering wheel right. As it starts back behind the truck move the right hand back to the two o'clock position. If it goes left do the same ,but with the left hand. Get in an open parking lot and practice backing 50-100 yes straight line to place your trailer between cones or other markers, two feet wider than your camper.
Once ya master that, start a tempting that from increased angles!
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
#1 rule in backing - DON'T !
I'll modify that by saying, just be mindful of your surroundings and try not to get into situations where backing out is difficult/ impossible! Forget drivers Ed, set your mirrors so the inside edge just gives you a sliver of the tow vehicle, and trailer when straight. Put your hands at 10 and two on the wheel, back slowly scanning from mirror to mirror. If you see the trailer coming into view in the right mirror, pull down the right hand, turning the steering wheel right. As it starts back behind the truck move the right hand back to the two o'clock position. If it goes left do the same ,but with the left hand. Get in an open parking lot and practice backing 50-100 yes straight line to place your trailer between cones or other markers, two feet wider than your camper.
Once ya master that, start a tempting that from increased angles!

I love your opening statement!

My mantra is; nothing good happens in the dark, in reverse or in the rain. If you add all three conditions together you have a trifecta of misery.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I never back more than I have to, not even a foot. That could be the difference. When traveling down the highway I keep my eyes up looking way down the road.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #33

I went thru Schneider truck driving school after getting out of the Navy . That was their take on backing.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote