Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume you’ll go south on I25 to Denver and west on I70 to Silverthrone. You’ll have a good grade west of Denver on I70. Then continue on I70. To at least Grand Jinction. From there several options. Advise you not to use US550 south over Red Mountain Pass. Choose any south bound route west of there to reach Farmington. From there easy going.

You have plenty of truck to make that trip. Use your lower gears, toe haul and engine brake if equipped on the down slopes. Keep your speed down you’ll have a couple of long steep downgrades. RVs do it everyday in large numbers.

I’m driving most of western Colorado for several months this summer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 04:53 AM   #16

I can understand your anxiety as windy roads are tough to navigate. I towed a 17' runabout boat on Tail of the Dragon. That was not fun but the shortest route to Lake Fontana.

I also towed my travel trail on Route 164 in Pennsylvania between Portage Pennsylvania and Altoona Pennsylvania. Hair pin turns just go extra slow as the big 5th wheel will want to go straight.

Looking back - that was kinda stupid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:00 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Your bumper to bumper will probably be less than 5' longer with the 5er, if that much. I went from a 20'TT to a 30' fifth wheel and my bumper to bumper lengths are within inches of each other. Sit back and enjoy. BTW I'm just at 65' with the Jeep hooked up. Doesn't cause any problems at all if I don't back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Not much to add, and I'm not sure you're familiar with mountain driving but I'd say just be mindful of speeds. 6 to 10% grades will get you accelerating in no time. While you have a very capable tow vehicle with good engine braking, that is a lot of weight behind you. Make sure trailer brakes work well and do use the brake check areas before heading downhill. Allow time for brakes to cool too. Don't start an 8% downgrade at 65 MPH.

Happy travels.
This about says it all. ^^^^^^^

When going down hill start at the top with the speed you want to maintain all the way down.....

Sounds like a wonderful trip......have fun!!!

g
Old 06-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mountain passes have variable grades on both sides. Sometimes steep and sometimes pretty flat sections.

We have disk brakes on our 5th wheeler and that makes a large difference over drum brakes. With either kind of brakes try to stay off the service brakes except for minor speed adjustments.

Some folks love using cruise on the downgrade. I never do or will use it on down hills. The computer cannot see what's coming up, like a grade change. I always drive major passes up and down by my own control.

Using the brake test area if one is present is good practice. As you start down engage the engine brake and make sure tow/haul is on if you have not already done so for the climb. Then down shift to a lower gear. Start slow, you can always gain speed but slowing down can be hard. Plan on shifting gears multiple times. My goal on the decent is to never even touch the service brakes. The old saying use the same gear going down as going up, does not really work. The two sides of most mountain passes are not that similar in grades for that to work. I try to use one gear lower going down than I would use in going up the same hill. Many times I'll be applying gas on the decent.

Your job is to get your rig and passengers down safely. Do not worry about traffic behind you. As it is safe pull over and let them pass. With that truck there is no reason you should get white knuckles on the ride down. I have a 2007 RAM 3500 diesel to tow as 32ft 5th and downhills are never an issue.

I lived in most of life in northern New Mexico and driven mountain roads since 13 in a 4x4. This summer we'll be hitting most of the mountain passes in Colorado on purpose and I look forward to it. We'll be doing Lizard Head Pass in a couple of days, high but an easy one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvafamily View Post
Have been towing for years - Most recently 35ft travel trailer and 30ft gooseneck but never been out west. Just about to buy a new fifth wheel toy hauler to take on a 18 day midwest adventure with the family. Traveling from North Carolina up to Mt. Rushmore, down to Silverthorne, CO then to Farmington NM, then back home across Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee. Don't see many people talking about towing a 44 ft, especially in the Rockies. Pulling with a 2016 Chevrolet 3500 dually diesel. Trailer should weight 18K +/-. Should I be worried about anything?
your truck is up to the job , set it to tow haul and turn on the engine brake. i run in manual tap shift mode so i can down shift it early on down hills . Not much consern for less then 4% down hill . 8+% down hill you need to be at or less then the posted truck speed limit. 4500rpm is not a problem with the motor you cant hurt it!

Tags
colorado, tow, towing