Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #15

The new Chevy is going to be bigger. Longer wheel base, wider cabin and cargo box.

Any word yet on it's GVWR?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Here’s what we now know about the new PowerStroke diesel option for the F-150. According to Ford’s website, this engine will be offered as part of the company’s most advanced engine lineup to date. You’d expect the diesel engine to be a torque monster, and you’d be right. The 3.0-liter diesel puts out 250 horsepower at 3,250 RPM and 440 lb-ft of torque at 1,750 RPM. As with the EcoBoost V6s and 5.0-liter V8, the diesel will also come attached to a 10-speed automatic transmission. With that much low-down, torque, Ford has pegged towing capacity at 11,400 pounds.

Looks to me like they think it will be used for towing. 11,400 is way more than 7000+.
Depending on payload this would make a great tow platform for a lighter weight Tt like a lance 2295. Probably get near 15+ towing it.
Oh yea, if they can hit that 11K lbs and you can stay under the payload restrictions, it would be a great match up for a light weight TT no doubt. I'm sure the mileage when towing will be better than the gassers. But I don't think everyone is going to be dropping 5th wheels in the back of them anytime soon.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #17

Ford isn't putting an exhaust brake on their new 3.0 diesel, and with GM already putting an exhaust brake on the baby Duramax in the Colorado, I would optimistically say the new 3.0 Duramax will have one. With the lighter weight of the Silverado 1500, that should help increase the cargo capacity as well.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

Payload Capacity will be a issue but will be ignored. How many people will go to or even have been to a CAT scale to weigh their rig, trailer and tongur weights when loaded?

Most all of these 5/8 ton small diesels will never tow. Maybe 10% will ever pull a trailer and the rest will be commuters. The Manufacturers need these trucks to meet CAFE fuel economy standards more than they need RV'ers looking for a light duty diesel tow rig to buy them.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post

Most all of these 5/8 ton small diesels will never tow. Maybe 10% will ever pull a trailer and the rest will be commuters. The Manufacturers need these trucks to meet CAFE fuel economy standards more than they need RV'ers looking for a light duty diesel tow rig to buy them.

That is the whole reason for their existence. Just because a vehicle runs on a particular type of fuel does not automatically make it a heavy duty towing rig.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
Payload Capacity will be a issue but will be ignored. How many people will go to or even have been to a CAT scale to weigh their rig, trailer and tongur weights when loaded?

Quite true on all counts.

On a real world basis, there is no significant argument for getting one of these diesels.

While the following comments are for my 2500, the numbers adjusted for the 1500 would be similar. E85 is going for $1.70 a gallon in my area, did fill in one location for $1.49 a gallon. Diesel is trying to peg $3.20 in some places near me.

My 2500 gets about 11-12 mpg average (all miles.. city, rural, highway, etc) on E85. Now that sounds horrible on the surface. that comes to about 15.5 cents a mile actual fuel cost.

A diesel in my 2500 would have to AVERAGE 21-22 mpg for all miles just to break even, at current fuel prices. Not likely to happen.

Most of the mpg numbers for diesel 1/2 tons seem to be about 5-6 mpg better overall than the gasser version of the same pickup. Depending on prevailing prices in one's area, it may actually cost more per mile to drive the diesel, on a cost per mile basis for fuel alone. One would have to have a real need for a diesel to justify that. And in a 1/2 ton, since overall capability is what is in view, it is hard to justify the diesel version.

Heck, my 2015 2500 6.0L gasser Z71 with all the available tow and snow plow prep packages, along with a Line-X bedliner and Auto Armor paint protection and Auto Armor rust prevention had an off the lot price of $38K when brand new. And it has significantly more capability than any diesel 1/2 ton. I will like to see the buyer that can get the 1500 diesel for equal or less in price than a loaded 2500 gasser. That doesn't seem like a possibility.

But, like has been stated, most of these will be daily commuter grocery getters.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarado View Post
The half ton diesel market is tightening up this week with this just after Ford announcing the PS 3.0 V6 diesel

2019 Chevy Silverado Reveal From Detroit: Bigger, Lighter and More Trims than Ever [Video] - The Fast Lane Truck
Personally I would much rather have seen a little larger engine capable of towing in the 27-28' bunkhouse range. So many myself included, want or need a 28' size TT and many own half tons already and don't want 3/4 tons for picking up milk, 99% of its purpose. I thought the Titan might fill this niche, but they dumbed down the payload.

The torque will probably be better than the 5.3 gasser but the horsepower will be to low.

There are probably tens of thousands of folks looking at TTs that own a half ton, I see this at the RV shows all the time. RV manufacturers know this is a lucrative market, that's why they are trying to build 27-28' trailers which seems to be the sweet spot, out of eggshells.

I see this on this forum all the time, people don't want a huge trailer 30'+, but want couch and dinette and maybe even bunks for kiddos. This is why you see so many Murphy beds.

I don't want to stray off topic to much, this truck might make sense for me if I were to get a Lance. It's torque should be great and HP fine for a smaller lighter trailers.

I think there's a sizable market for a 4-5L diesel with payload similar to Ford's nice f150 with tow package. I would have thought Chevy had the small end diesel covered with the Colorado, the large end with the big Duramax, this could have set right in the middle. Hopefully Nissan will figure this niche out, they are the closest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
And that most likely will be the "RUB"........payload capacity. It may well be rated to tow 11,400 lbs, but my guess is you'll run out of payload before you get close to tow rating
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Cool, I will be looking for a 1/2 ton truck in a few months. I can wait until the 2019 Chevy is available. If all works out and I wait it will mean I will be towing a Yamaha Waverunner with my dually truck for a few months. The Waverunner on trailer will weigh a whopping 1,200 lbs.

It will be good for Chevy to compete or beat the Ford F-150.

Ford will also have a 3.0 litre diesel.

It will not be an easy decision.
I used to tow my SeaDoo with a Rav4, of course I had the heavy tow package and weight distribution bars. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
Quite true on all counts.
A diesel in my 2500 would have to AVERAGE 21-22 mpg for all miles just to break even, at current fuel prices. Not likely to happen.
All of the folks I know driving the RAM Ecodiesels are getting 22 - 25 MPG. The price differential between regular unleaded and diesel is nowhere near what you stated in our part of the country. Maybe 0.20 to 0.30 in the winter or closer to the price of Premium. In fact, during the warmer months, diesel can be at or below the price of gas.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #24

Great.... now Chevy is copying Ford and releasing their own version of a Toyota...

Pickups continue to drift further and further away from my idea of a pickup...
Old 02-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #25

New 2019 Silverado 1500 with Duramax 3.0 Inline Six Diesel Option

I’d use the GM 6.2L 10-auto half-ton as default. That truck can see 25-mpg at 60-mph. Bye bye all diesels used for these itty bitty trailers.

There’s no benefit to a diesel where RV is the case.

And, FWIW, I’ve averaged 21-mpg annually (all miles, all gallons; 50/50 town and country) for the better part of the last decade in my four ton diesel pickup.

Diesel needs a plan. It won’t outlast today’s gas motors, it’s more expensive to operate, and it’s just different enough one needs to be cognizant to maintain any advantage.

I’ve had that plan and made those adjustments the past ten years. Most of the details also apply to gassers. It’s about reducing the cents-per-mile figure. And underwrite vacation travel.

For an RV’er, do a better job of specifying both vehicles.

A better trailer is the start most need. And it ain’t these disposable square boxes littering the dealer lots.

For that matter, done well it won’t be a pickup as TV, either.

Average American Drives 15k annually. 5k for the average RVer while towing.

Where’s the percentage?

1). How many years of ownership?

2). How many miles?

But, as always, no one wants to address their ownership and operational shortcomings.

But it’s where the money really is.

The TV is the least important consideration where strictness in specification and operation are taken at all seriously for a family RV.

The TT ought to last more than a quarter century in your use. Maybe TWO tow vehicles in that timeframe.

Start there.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post

For that matter, done well it won’t be a pickup as TV, either.

Huh?! Then what else as TV? What are you getting at?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
All of the folks I know driving the RAM Ecodiesels are getting 22 - 25 MPG. The price differential between regular unleaded and diesel is nowhere near what you stated in our part of the country. Maybe 0.20 to 0.30 in the winter or closer to the price of Premium. In fact, during the warmer months, diesel can be at or below the price of gas.
Granted, fuel pricing is regional. And I was primarily talking about E85, not regular gasoline. But it is what it is. I can get E85 for between $1.60 and $1.70 in my area. It is one thing to get 22-25 mpg from a Ram 1500 and the Ecodiesel, it is quite another to make that claim regarding a 2500 with a CTD, which is more in line with the 3/4 ton Chevy I have.

I average about 11-12 mpg with E85. That equates to roughly 15 cents a mile. At current pricing of $3.10 for diesel in my area, the same cost per mile would require 22 mpg average from a CTD in a 2500.

Now, my previous Chevy 1500, when using E85 averaged about 13-14 mpg using it. For a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel to match that, it would have to average 25 mpg. So fuel cost on a per mile basis is a wash.

I use about 20,000+ gallons of diesel a year commercially, and have for several decades. I can count on one hand the number of months since 2000 that diesel has averaged a lower price than gasoline. And not once has it even come close to the lower price of E85.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been listening to pickup truck debates for 50 years now. Still sounds the same to me.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel