Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #43

Even at 30k the pin weight is 6900#(at 23%). My sticker says 5234# payload. Not sure how even in the owners manual it’s wrong. I realize most numbers are set as stated previously with a lighter truck (trim), but not even close.

Also I realize that 37k number is also not for my truck……
It too is out of the manual.

Have only checked payload sticker on my truck, I’ll never get close to the other weights.
SR71jetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Really, I've got a B&W Companion that is rated for 25K lbs with over 6000 lbs of pin weight.
Ford says that fifth wheel hitches are limited to 19k lbs.

One example:

"5th-wheel tow rating limited to 5th-wheel hitch rating of 19,000 lbs. 9,900-lb. GVWR Package (68D). MAXIMUM LOADED TRAILER WEIGHT (lbs.)"

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...PU_r1_Nov7.pdf
Old 07-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Nose to Tail max length

In Texas, the nose to tail of your rig and toad ( or truck and trailer) cannot exceed 60.
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #46

I meant to type 44', not 34'
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I think you meant to type....44' long, not 34'!
You are right! And it looks like I can't edit the post :( Oh well...
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggies1983 View Post
In Texas, the nose to tail of your rig and toad ( or truck and trailer) cannot exceed 60.
Believe it is 65 feet, not 60 feet.

Ken
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
They advertise that, but with caveats that it only applies to the unicorn truck.
-Reg cab
-DRW
-8' bed
-2wd
- Base model (Tradesman)

but I don't see how they can get there even on that truck for a multitude of reasons.

1) Payload is 6,570 lbs. 20% (pin weight) of a 35k fifth wheel or gooseneck is 7,420 lbs so you'd be over payload by almost 1k lbs before adding in passengers, cargo, etc...

2) Tongue weight of a 35k lb trailer would be roughly 5,250 lbs.

3) RAWR is 6,390 lbs. So the pin weight would be over the GAWR.

4) 5th wheel hitches are limited to 19k lbs. Gooseneck is rated for 30k. You'd be over on both.

5) Even a Class 5 receiver hitch is only rated for up to 18k lbs and are only rated for a tongue weight of up to 1,800 lbs. You'd be way over.
You use these percentages some of those numbers make sense. I not saying use those low percentages but it does explain how the get some those GCWR only use 15%

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J2807

5.4 GVWR/Rear GAWR and Tongue Weight/Kingpin Weight Considerations
(Eq. 4)
The tow-vehicle shall be able to accommodate appropriate trailer tongue and/or kingpin weight to attain a particular TWR without exceeding Rear GAWR and/or GVWR. Required minimum conventional trailer tongue weight shall be 10% of TWR and required minimum fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be 15% of TWR. For purposes of this standard, fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be applied directly over rear axle centerline unless a fixed-ball hitch is available from the tow-vehicle original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in which case it shall be at the OEM position. Conventional trailer tongue weight shall be applied at a longitudinal connection point as indicated in 5.5.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/t...ds-2016-02.pdf
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
You use these percentages some of those numbers make sense. I not saying use those low percentages but it does explain how the get some those GCWR only use 15%

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J2807

5.4 GVWR/Rear GAWR and Tongue Weight/Kingpin Weight Considerations
(Eq. 4)
The tow-vehicle shall be able to accommodate appropriate trailer tongue and/or kingpin weight to attain a particular TWR without exceeding Rear GAWR and/or GVWR. Required minimum conventional trailer tongue weight shall be 10% of TWR and required minimum fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be 15% of TWR. For purposes of this standard, fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be applied directly over rear axle centerline unless a fixed-ball hitch is available from the tow-vehicle original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in which case it shall be at the OEM position. Conventional trailer tongue weight shall be applied at a longitudinal connection point as indicated in 5.5.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/t...ds-2016-02.pdf
It creates the illusion that the trucks can haul more than they should, by using the minimum percentages required to obtain the higher rating.

But in reality more times than not very few (if any) of us are going to have a 15% pin weight or a 10% hitch weight.

Tags
5th wheel, weight