Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New Exhaust for Dodge w/5.9L Cummins

Looks like I need to get a new exhaust system for my 2007 Dodge HD2500 Megacab with the 5.9 Cummins Diesel. There are tons of aftermarket systems at reasonable prices, so it's tough to choose. Anyone have some experience in this area? I am looking for near normal sound levels, a little louder is ok, but NO droning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got one of these, I can't hear any exh note at all.
Made in the USA. 100% stainless steel.

Magnaflow 12773 Magnaflow Universal Diesel Mufflers - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Currently its $140.87 Free shipping and handling.

you might beat that price on ebay or other sites.

that one is for 4 pipe and has a 30 inch body they make 2 like it that are shorter.

straight though but quieter than you might think.
as long as you tail pipe goes out behind the rear wheels you shouldn't hear it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I am looking for near normal sound levels, a little louder is ok, but NO droning.
I had a Magnaflow 4" turbo-back stainless exhaust system on my '99.5 7.3L diesel. Sounded great and no droan. Darling Wife didn't notice it from the front passenger's seat when cruising with the windows up and the running the HVAC (heater, ventilation or AC). We put 197,000 miles on that pickup in 11 years, including about half those miles towing our 8,000-pound 5er all over the lower 48 states. The only way I could tell it sounded great was to roll down the back window when cruising in the concrete canyons of downtown Midland in the early morning hours with no traffic noise. If your truck has a factory catalytic converter, then you'll need the cat-back system or maybe just the muffler that Mekanic posted. But if you can legally have the turbo-back system, I'd recommend you pay the extra money and get that. Here's one source for a 5" system.I'd probably ask them for a 4" system instead if you're concerned about droan:
Magnaflow 04.5-07 5" TURBO-BACK 5.9L Dodge Cummins Single Outlet 17989 / 15989 / 15986
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

PushedAround, I just replaced the factory exhaust 2 months ago on my 2006 Megacab. I had the same concerns regarding noise. I went w/ 4" MagnaFlow. Removed the cat. It is slightly louder than stock but not at all annoying. It is a little louder in the cab around 2100 rpm but I don't think I would consider it a "drone" sound. Also got a little more "response" out of the engine. Headed east in 10 days so we will see how it does in the mountains.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks guys. It's the last of the unregulated diesels, so turbo back is fine. Magnaflow makes a very good muffler, but the exhaust has several short pipes though. I'll have to check to see how the OEM unit is made. The Silverline that I looked at appears to be better built because it is made in 2 sections, plus the muffler. Of course that is the question because the muffler makes more of a difference than anything else.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Since you still have a 5.9 in your Mega, buy a 30" FTE resonator and run it alone (granted your state will let you get by with it). It will eliminate the drone completely. You can actually run straight pipe with it and be able to talk to your kids in the back seat. I ran 5" straight pipe with a single stack on my '02 with a 5" FTE. Now that I have a '09 6.7L Mega, I run the 4" Dia 30" long FTE and only the stock muffler. It is really quiet. Once I stretch the frame and put a long bed on this truck, I'll probably run the FTE only.

GREAT product. They did a lot of research and it shows. You won't be disappointed.

Resonators / Mufflers - FTE Diesel

We've bashed exhaust to death on the diesel forum and this product always comes up as one of the best. I love them. In fact, a thread came up today on them.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=172461

My $.02
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Thanks guys. It's the last of the unregulated diesels, so turbo back is fine.
Unregulated? So you have no EGR or cat? I doubt it.

Technically, it'd be illegal. That being said, I'd ditch it too.

For my truck I got a Walker Big Truck Muffler. 3.5" was 70bucks and it's straight flow. I see no need for a full system, but it's your choice.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm surprised Smokey didn't mention the 4" Walker Big Truck Muffler, WLK-21471. They generally sell for less than $100.00.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Magnaflow i showed was a straight though as well.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #10

Make sure you open up the intake with a quality system to take advantage of the increased air flow. Can you tweak the pump?
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Unregulated? So you have no EGR or cat? I doubt it.

Technically, it'd be illegal. That being said, I'd ditch it too.

For my truck I got a Walker Big Truck Muffler. 3.5" was 70bucks and it's straight flow. I see no need for a full system, but it's your choice.
By unregulated I was talking about having a DPF or needing DEF. Yes it does have a small cat, and as far as the EGR, I don't see where a turbo-back system would affect that. I will probably ditch the cat as I have 136,000 miles on it, and I would guess that the cat is probably getting to the end of it's useful life. Maybe I'll re-examine the rest of the exhaust system, but it does seem to be getting a little crusty at some of the joints.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

I would agree, take advantage of a stage I or stage II intake once you open your exhaust up. It will help a tad with EGT's on long hills. To heck with EGR's and DPF's. Mine has somehow gone MIA.

On a 07' 5.9L, you can't tweak the pump manually (outside of buying a modified pump from II or vendor of the like), but I'd recommend an Edge EZ or Juice with Attitude if you don't already have a programmer. The EZ is basically level 2 of the the Juice. Juice has 5 levels with on the fly adjustment. I normally ran my 5.9L on level 2 most all the time. It dyno'd 450hp @ 972 tq with mild injectors, cam, and fuel supply mods.

I'd say, try the resonator by itself. If you like it, you are done and they aren't that much money. If you still want it quieter, add a hushpower behind it.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #13

I am running the MBRP exhaust system on my truck. This is a stainless steel turbo back system for a 5.9L long bed truck mounted on my 2008 6.7L 2500 Mega Cab. I installed the system back in 09 and I have had no issues with the exhaust at all. Here is a link to their site.
MBRP Performance Exhaust

Jim W.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #14

For your truck go with mbrp or with borla or see if corsa makes a exhaust for your truck. All of the company's listed above use 300 grade stainless steel which means it will last up much better than cheap 400 grade stainless used in cheap magnaflow. Also mbrp uses stainless steel packing and borla uses a higher grade stainless packing with a acoustical sound deading outer wrap. Magnaflow uses whats called rockwool for packing which is only water resistant so it will not last the test of time and will fail.

Magnaflow is the go to exhaust it is cheap it will sound ok it will fail and you will be stuck with junk. I know this because of my two vehicals on my car I am on magnaflow cat back exhaust two which now sounds horrible and when I rip that one off I will do a cut away of the exhaust to show the inside. And on my truck the magnaflow cat back exhaust has now also failed. It was noisey and drone very bad when installed I added a resonator and this helped on the hwy but still droned bad in town. And after a year of towing the muffler has failed. I am sending the magnaflow back and my local dealer is refunding me my money back as it is only two years old.

I have now went and bought a GMPP performance exhaust for my truck which is made by borla and I ordered this right from there web site. And I like the million mile warranty. I had a borla muffler on a old car of mine it was on there for 12 years and logged 230 thousand km on it. It still looked and sounded as good as day one do yourself a big favor and buy a high end exhaust and stay away from magnaflow.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, dodge