Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

New GMC Hummer. 1000 HP. 11,500 pounds of torque.

I wonder if it’s possible to rip the hitch off a trailer.

1,000 horsepowers
11,500 pound feet of torque
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3 seconds
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

https://electrek.co/2020/07/29/gmc-h...ures-features/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #2

Whoa!! I tell you, I am just waiting for the technology to catch up for longer distances and/or faster charges, then a big DP style coach but battery powered. The electric motors are no joke! At one point, when I was very young, nothing beat a thundering V8 under the hood (ok, who am I kidding, I still get chills if I get behind the wheel of something that just thunders!), but after seeing what they squeeze out of my Twin Turbo V6 it amazes me, and the 700+hp in Challengers. I then drove a friends Tesla Ludicrous, I mean.....it is ludicrous how quick that car is....I did miss the sound and rumble....but you accelerate so quick you don't really have a chance to miss it.

I would say with that torque, hitch ripping or not......just hope you have everything completed perfectly, no leaving a chock or something.....

Now the next question.....how would these do going down grades with weight? No engine or transmission to hold down speed, now that is where my curiosity is going next.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrj View Post

Whoa!! I tell you, I am just waiting for the technology to catch up for longer distances and/or faster charges, then a big DP style coach but battery powered. The electric motors are no joke! At one point, when I was very young, nothing beat a thundering V8 under the hood (ok, who am I kidding, I still get chills if I get behind the wheel of something that just thunders!), but after seeing what they squeeze out of my Twin Turbo V6 it amazes me, and the 700+hp in Challengers. I then drove a friends Tesla Ludicrous, I mean.....it is ludicrous how quick that car is....I did miss the sound and rumble....but you accelerate so quick you don't really have a chance to miss it.

I would say with that torque, hitch ripping or not......just hope you have everything completed perfectly, no leaving a chock or something.....

Now the next question.....how would these do going down grades with weight? No engine or transmission to hold down speed, now that is where my curiosity is going next.

Re going down hills. Regenerative breaking is quite strong. It depends on settings selected but we go weeks at a time without using the brake pedal on our Tesla model 3. I would assume manufacturers will utilize as much revenue as possible as it is all power that goes back into the battery. Brake pad wear is almost a thing of the past on modern EV’s.

You gotta wonder what Napa will be selling in 10 years. Wipers and washer fluid?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

Diesel electric locomotives use giant 'toasters' on their roofs to dump excess energy for downgrades and deceleration.

Electric motors can slow with as much torque as they push, as long as that wattage can go somewhere. Either to charge a battery or heat wires that are cooled by outside air.

Perhaps the 'mountain towing mod' of the future will be a fan cooled heat-sink box.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
You gotta wonder what Napa will be selling in 10 years. Wipers and washer fluid?
How about replacement battery packs!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
How about replacement battery packs!
I doubt it. They are good for the life of the car. Warrantied for 192000 km. And even if somebody wanted to replace a pack it would probably come from the manufacturer. Not Napa. Unless of course Napa gets involved with a rebuild company.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife's 2013 chevy Malibu ECO has 135,000 miles on it. It still has the original brakes because it uses regenerative braking. Stop stopping will not be the issue.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
I doubt it. They are good for the life of the car. Warrantied for 192000 km. And even if somebody wanted to replace a pack it would probably come from the manufacturer. Not Napa. Unless of course Napa gets involved with a rebuild company.
So the car's estimated lifetime is only 192 000km?

I've seen the issues with Nissan Leaf batteries as well as the older Honda hybrids. Nothing is perfect, not even EVs.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
So the car's estimated lifetime is only 192 000km?

I've seen the issues with Nissan Leaf batteries as well as the older Honda hybrids. Nothing is perfect, not even EVs.
Nope. No one said that. The warranty is 8 years and 192000 km. The battery is expected to be good for the life of the car. Roughly 15 years. Tesla batteries are holding up quite well and should have no problem making that...and another life in home storage products.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #10

Wonder what "super fast charging" is. I imagine that it probably has a 100 to 200 kw battery, unless it can use a Tesla supercharger, have to wonder about the super fast charging.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Wonder what "super fast charging" is. I imagine that it probably has a 100 to 200 kw battery, unless it can use a Tesla supercharger, have to wonder about the super fast charging.
Well, technically they could be using 800 volt technology and use the CCS. 350 KW chargers from Electrify America. But they are few and far between and most CCS is 50 to 150 kw charging.

I don’t believe GM has made any deals with Tesla although Tesla has made the offer.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, technically they could be using 800 volt technology and use the CCS. 350 KW chargers from Electrify America. But they are few and far between and most CCS is 50 to 150 kw charging.

I don’t believe GM has made any deals with Tesla although Tesla has made the offer.
Don't know the date of this article, but 89 stations are not a lot, even if they do work.
https://insideevs.com/news/342427/up...-safety-issue/
Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #13

Another misleading clickbait headline got me to read a story that I would not bother with.

Concept cars come and concept cars go.

Many years ago I was working in Spain with an engineer who was also navy trained and from around Detroit. His father worked for GM and he just got the latest GM wonder two seat sports car.

Two years later we meet up again this time at a power plant near Detroit. Asked him how how he liked it. Loved it except for the minor handling when it got totaled.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
I wonder if it’s possible to rip the hitch off a trailer.

1,000 horsepowers
11,500 pound feet of torque
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3 seconds
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

https://electrek.co/2020/07/29/gmc-h...ures-features/
Over 11K of torque. Wow! That’s impressive. I’ll pass on this.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote