RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
aga

Question New member check in

Hi everybody. I'm a new member here. Great community, a lot of people willing to share their experience. Much appreciated.

My question: I have upgraded my 21' travel trailer to 29' 5th wheeler, and now looking for more powerful truck (my 2005 F150 is not good enough for this rig). The GVWR for the 5th wheeler is about 10,000 lbs. I'm looking on 3/4 ton truck with diesel engine, and trying to choose between F250 and GMC 2500HD. Do you guys have any feedback here? I'm also trying to decide between super cab (double cab) and crew cab, as well as the size of the bed for both options. Any recommendation here? Will standard bed work for sharp turns, or do I need to go with long bed. Thank you!

aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post
Hi everybody. I'm a new member here. Great community, a lot of people willing to share their experience. Much appreciated.

My question: I have upgraded my 21' travel trailer to 29' 5th wheeler, and now looking for more powerful truck (my 2005 F150 is not good enough for this rig). The GVWR for the 5th wheeler is about 10,000 lbs. I'm looking on 3/4 ton truck with diesel engine, and trying to choose between F250 and GMC 2500HD. Do you guys have any feedback here? I'm also trying to decide between super cab (double cab) and crew cab, as well as the size of the bed for both options. Any recommendation here? Will standard bed work for sharp turns, or do I need to go with long bed. Thank you!
For nearly the same money id go 1 ton. Youll get pretty much the same truck with a slightly higher rawr.

I personally like a long bed. You definately dont have to worry about hitting the cab. You also gain space for a toolbox and fuel tank if youd like. That being said, ive seen long beds break off a fuel pump too in an aux tank.

Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 AM   #3

Hi,
Welcome aboard! This forum will give you many insights and answers to various subjects relating to the RV world.
I use to own a 29ft. Nomad 5th wheel and a 1986 Ford F250 Super Cab that pulled it. I had no problem with power, turning radius or weight. I also had a tool box in back with extra equipment. My suggestion is go with what you feel comfortable driving and can afford. Just remember to treat your RV with respect and it will take care of your needs. I really enjoyed my truck and 5er but we traded ours in many years ago for a Class A motor home.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #4

Going from a 2005 F-150 to a 3/4 ton or better yet a 1 ton SRW diesel truck is a big step. Not to bash the 2005 F-150 but that truck makes more noise than acceleration when you hit the gas.

If you can swing a 2011 or newer diesel truck you will have plenty of power. The advice to look at 350/3500 series trucks is good advice but not always easy to do as dealers will have way more 250/2500 trucks.

Just an rough example is a 250/2500 series truck will have a payload of 2,000lbs and a 350/3500 SRW truck will have a payload of 3,000lbs. You will want a truck with the highest payload to tow a 5th wheel. The pin weight of a 10,000lb 5th wheel will be 1,800 - 2,000lbs, that is why you will want a higher payload.

The 350/3500 SRW truck is the same dimensions as the 250/2500 truck with some changes that allows it to carry 1,000lbs more. It will drive close to the same.

I think of it this way, 3/4 ton trucks are good for towing travel trailers while 1 ton trucks are good at towing 5th wheels.

Good luck
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

A number of years ago I bought a 3/4 ton diesel truck with the intention of towing a 5th wheel. It was a rude awakening on what the payload was. Sure, it could do it, diesel powertrain and axle on the Chevy was exactly the same as the 1 ton (I believe it has changed on the 2020), and there is a lot of people who do it. If you go gas, the 3/4 will be able to on the lower weight 5th's. I think it is better to go 1 ton. Same dimensions, same fuel mileage, maybe a little rougher ride, although I just went to a 1 ton and honestly can't tell the ride difference. I also gained 1,400 lbs more payload with the change. The cost difference is usually around $1,000 if at that.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post
I'm looking on 3/4 ton truck with diesel engine, and trying to choose between F250 and GMC 2500HD.
Looking new or used? If used, how used? The trucks are a lot different now than they were 10 and 20 years ago.
jjackrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:48 AM   #7
aga

Smile

Hi Everybody who responded,

Many thanks for advises. Really appreciate your attention.

After weighing all options, I have ended up with buying 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali with Diesel engine. I and my wife did a test drive on Ford F250 and GMC 2500 HD, and can share my experience for those who may looking for the same answers.

I actually had a loyalty to Ford brand, as my old truck was F150, and we enjoyed it for many years - for camping, towing a small travel trailer, and as a work horse when we did remodeling of our house. So we first went to test F250. After that decided to test GMC, and immediately fall in love with the truck. No comparison. Duramax Diesel engine is quieter and less vibrated comparing to F250 Diesel. GMC truck is filled with cool high tech features, interior is very nice. The drive is very smooth, the truck is a little lower than F250, easier to get in and out, and overall feeling when driving is much better.

I got a standard 82" bed. Distance from rear axle to the cab is 42". With position of king pin 4" in front of the rear axle, I have 38" distance from king pin to the cab. This gives me the ability to turn 5th wheeler up to about 60 degree (according to my calculations), so I think I will be OK. My hitch is manual sliding hitch, I can pull it to the rear if need very sharp maneuver.

Again, many thanks for everyone who responded.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #8

Nice!
Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
aga

Forgot to mention: I will be towing 28' Cougar 5th Wheeler. GVWR max on this 5er is 10,000 lbs. I think we will be around 95,000 lbs (although my wife can load the Rig up to max
Old 02-16-2020, 01:00 AM   #10

The new GM HD trucks are fantastic. You are going to love it. Just make sure the tires on that trailer are rated to tow as fast and that Duramax is going to encourage you to go.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
aga

Hi jjackrash,
It is really fantastic. Payload is 3.8 ton, accelerates on the heartbeat. Maybe I should use tires from my old Vette that are still lost in the garage ....
Old 02-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #12

Was it the 2020 F-250 you test drove? I ask because I test drove a 2020 F-250 Diesel and was very impressed with the refinement. There was zero vibration in the truck I test drove.

The 2019 Superduty trucks with the diesel engine had some vibration but not the 3rd gen 6.7 diesel.

But bottom line you can not go wrong with the GM trucks either. I also found them to be equal to Ford and Ram although the Ford was more powerful.

Power - not sure how much power you need as it is getting crazy. The GM trucks are powerful enough for 2/3 towing. Only at the 35,000lb towing can you probably tell.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #13
aga

Thumbs up

It was 2020 F250. I wouldn’t say it was bad. At least better that I could imagine from my memory of old diesels. However, GMC still feels better and more quiet.

You probably right - you need to tow a big weight to find a difference. I didn’t have such opportunity. But looks like these modern cars are beasts

Tags