Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #1

New puller advice

Hello all!
I am in the process of buying a toy hauler and am new to the rv life. I have pulled my girlfriend's parents camper once and we loved it. It was a 30' bumper pull. Now I've purchased a one ton F350 (non-dually) to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler. We put an offer on a 44' triple-axle Cyclone. My questions are does anyone think that I'll have any issue pulling that size camper with a SRW truck?

More importantly, as a newbie, what advice do you all have that you've learned the hard way when it comes to buying and owning your camper? Trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can as we jump head first in!

Thanks,
Nate
Nate_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
laj

New puller advice

Well now you’ve opened it up. for the weight police, and they will come flooding in. Just go slow, and let things settle in as you get use to pulling it.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #3

Your truck will have a sticker in the driver's side door jam. It will indicate the maximum cargo weight for your truck.
Subtract from that number the weight of all passengers, fuel, and other stuff you normally drive with.

The RV you lol at will also have a weight sticker. Look for the GVWR, which is the RV fully loaded weight. 20%-25% of the GVWR weight will sit in the bed of your truck on the kingpin.

Pick an RV without to much weight for your truck.

Post numbers if you have questions.
wolfgolden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #4

You don't post any weight specs on the towable or state the year of the truck, but a 44' cyclone IIRC is probably going to push 18k wet with 3500 or so pounds in the bed (educated guess based on shopping similar rigs). I don't have a weight policeman's badge, but that's getting pretty darn heavy for an SRW.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking that you will have too much pin weight for a SRW truck and are into dually territory. So, since you have the truck, check the numbers and back down on a trailer that will fit your truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #6

What they said; weigh it but my guess is that you're well into dually 1 ton territory

Dave
Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #7

Hey Nate, welcome to the forum. No baby steps for you! Most of us go through a progression of smaller rigs to get to something that large. After 40 years of towing RVs, I would still be intimidated by something that large. Then again, I'm old and less aggressive now. We all "lean in" at different levels, makes America what it is.

Hard to comment on your numbers without knowing which truck and what you are going to be putting in the garage. Toy haulers are generally nose heavy to allow for pin weight reduction when loading the garage. I looked up a 44 ft. Cyclone's numbers. With a 3,300# dry pin weight, I'm guessing you will receive a lot of suggestions to step up to a dually or step down to a smaller trailer. Good luck.

When you do get your gear ready to tow I suggest you practice on empty roads and parking lots. The fiver will track differently than the TT you pulled before and it is important to know where your trailer's tires will be. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nate,
You know that there are aftermarket Dully setups that are not that expensive, you could DIY to your Ford.............
It would make your rig SO MUCH MORE stable.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #9

Year of that F350 SRW??

RAWR of truck is KEY for towing 5th wheel trailers
Actual weight of rear axle vs RAWR indicates how much additional weight can be added before exceeding the RAWR
*Hitch plus WET Pin weight (Wet pin=22% of 5vr GVWR)

So you have the truck....load it up 'camp ready'
Fuel, you/all passengers, stuff in cab, etc and go get weighed ==CAT Scale
Weigh ticket $12/$15
Shows Steer weight (Front Axle), Drive weight (Rear Axle), Total weight

Subtract ACTUAL weight from RAWR and then using 22% of that 44' trailers GVWR----do you have enough Rear Axle Capacity left to carry that Wet Pin

17000# GVWR @ 22%=3750#

RAWR 7230 - 3750 = 3490*** most that ACTUAL Rear axle can weigh camp ready

44' Cyclone is TOO heavy for F350 SRW

Get weighed and do the MATH
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #10

Appreciate all the very helpful advice! I'll check the sticker when i get home later today. My truck is a 2017 F-350 6.7 with a level kit (if that helps) I def don't want to be white knuckling a ticking time bomb around the country!

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Year of that F350 SRW??

RAWR of truck is KEY for towing 5th wheel trailers
Actual weight of rear axle vs RAWR indicates how much additional weight can be added before exceeding the RAWR
*Hitch plus WET Pin weight (Wet pin=22% of 5vr GVWR)

So you have the truck....load it up 'camp ready'
Fuel, you/all passengers, stuff in cab, etc and go get weighed ==CAT Scale
Weigh ticket $12/$15
Shows Steer weight (Front Axle), Drive weight (Rear Axle), Total weight

Subtract ACTUAL weight from RAWR and then using 22% of that 44' trailers GVWR----do you have enough Rear Axle Capacity left to carry that Wet Pin

17000# GVWR @ 22%=3750#

RAWR 7230 - 3750 = 3490*** most that ACTUAL Rear axle can weigh camp ready

44' Cyclone is TOO heavy for F350 SRW

Get weighed and do the MATH
Well if Old Biscut says too much, you should pay attention! Going by RAWR can put you in legal limbo!
If you get into an injury accident even if not cited, a personal injury lawyer has a basis for a civil lawsuit for you exceeding your GVWR. They will look at that triple axle TH and see dollar signs!
Not telling what to do, just advice, it is your choice!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #12

Welcome to the RV world, Nate.

As others have said, you’ll be in dually territory with that particular trailer. Lots of weight/capacity considerations to evaluate and some math to be done in regards to ensuring safety and comfort when you travel.

You’ve got a nice truck there, but not really enough mule for that wagon.

Do your research and match the right trailer to your truck and you’ll enjoy your travels.

Happy trails,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_32 View Post
Appreciate all the very helpful advice! I'll check the sticker when i get home later today. My truck is a 2017 F-350 6.7 with a level kit (if that helps) I def don't want to be white knuckling a ticking time bomb around the country!

Thanks again!
Well a 2017 F350 SRW will only have a max GVWR of 11,500# maybe 3,500# payload.

Don’t be afraid of a DRW TV! We daily drive our 2016 Ram Crew Cab long bed 3500 DRW. There are not many places we won’t go with it, do need be aware of the hips. My daughter has a 2004 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed that she uses to tow her horse trailers.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #14

Now I'm even more confused! The guy at Camping World said the general rule of thumb is 2 axles can be pulled by a 3/4 ton and 3 axles by a 1 ton. I get that is not always going to be true. However, now it appears that even the Forest River 335pack13 we were really wanting may exceed the truck's payload capacity with the "wet" pin weight.
Showing my work thanks to Old-Biscuit!
GVWR of TH =16915 x .22 = 3721 lbs
Payload according to sticker on truck says 3594.

Does this mean we need a dually to pull just about every 5th wheel toy hauler? I really don't want to get a bumper pull, but don't want to do a bunch of math every time I load up the camper! I thought I was doing good by jumping to the 350 instead of the 250 to begin with! I really like my new truck, but don't want to get a super short toy hauler either! Thoughts?!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12-2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/126-...ew?usp=sharing

Tags
advice