Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #1

New Shear Bolts for Used Hensley Arrow

Hi everyone,

I bought a used Hensley Arrow hitch and I need new shear bolts to install it. I'm not sure if these are ever reusable but the ones I got are certainly not. The easiest thing to do would be to order them from Hensley but the shipping cost to Canada is about nine times the cost of the parts themselves. I'd rather not pay that much for shipping what is probably a standard, cheap part that I can get locally.

Does anyone know what would be an appropriate substitute for the shear bolts from Hensley? Since it's a shear bolt should I be concerned about making sure what I use is not too weak/too strong for the application?

If it helps, I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Thank you for your help!
CdnTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

Where are these bolts used? The purpose of a shear bolt is to be the weakest point and break (shear) before other parts break. We used in many tractor and heavy equipment application so an equipment supply store may have them. (but you need and idea of the shear strength. If they are true "shear bolts" they'd have to be a pretty low grade. A grade 5 or 8 ain't gonna shear before it pulls through.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Adding to the comment, on the tractor bush hog I use hardware grade bolts. This are the cheap ones in the bins. Usually grade 2 with no head markings.

For a hitch I have no idea but if they are used as a shear bolt, probably similar grade needed. Don't use a 5 or 8 except in an emergency and replace with appropriate bolts ASAP.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

Call Hensley and ask if there is a distributor in Canada for their hitches or parts. The parts will still be more expensive, but hopefully not as much as having them shipped to you. Or possibly they can tell you what you can use.

i assume you are referring to the "self tapping shear bolts" that are item 19 on pages 6 and 7 of this manual, and installed in step 5 on page 11.

https://hensleymfg.com/wp-content/up...row-Manual.pdf

Its only a 500 mile trip to the thumb of Michigan to visit Hensley personally. Take a vacation? Take the hitch and let them install it and adjust it for you?

Charles
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

I spoke to Hensley. They could not tell me the specs of the shear bolts but told me to use 3/8" wood lag screws. That's what's pictured in the "Hensley Arrow/Cub Emergency Kit" photo on their website. They also told me there are no other places to get their parts, seems the only choice for original parts if to visit their factory or order online.
CdnTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

Are these bolts simply drop in pins? I can't conceptualize the thread configuration that would accept the thread on lag screws. The shear on a 3/8 grade 2 bolt is about 5,000 lbs. If is Chinese big box store lag screws its likely less than half of that.
Maybe you need to bite the bullet and order the parts. I've ordered stuff from Canada and don't recollect paying inordinate shipping cost.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote