Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
In Europe they sell a device that screws into your fuel fill that prevents you from inserting a gasoline nozzle, it just CANT be forced into the filler.
Other than the bigger nozzles on the high volume pumps, I have never noticed a difference in the nozzle gas/diesel, but I have not been all over the world. But we have to have child-proof lighters...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #44

My '14 Grand Cherokee diesel had a capless filler that didn't allow the smaller unleaded gas nozzles through the gates. The current automotive diesel pump nozzle looks like the size that leaded gas used to use back in the day, by the way - noticeably larger than the 'new' (at the time) unleaded nozzles, especially when both were available at the same time or even at the same pump. And both way smaller than the high flow truck nozzles, which didn't fit the Jeep filler.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #45

Alright guys, I understand the differences between
Gas and diesel, I understand the if you careless diesel is alot more oily and sticks around. I understand how trucks work as I said I am a diesel mechanic, I just was hoping that there was an Easy way to identify the diesel pump as I'm driving up because I've never taken a trip long enough to need fuel especially with this big a trailer. It would appear that there is no trick and I most likely want to park first and see. The only other thing I can Say Is that it looks like typically if the lanes are encouraged to be one way(as would usually be the case at a rest area)... Diesel seems to be on the far right island. Does anyone agree that this is mostly true? thanks
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:50 AM   #46

If diesel only at some islands they have always been the outside islands in my experience at least.
The other clue us look for pumps with a hose & nozzle on both sides if the pump... gas & diesel.
Single hose pumps only gas.
The outer lanes are much easier to get in & out of so are my preferred choice anyway.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #47

Most stations here in Ontario Canada also put the diesel pumps at the outside of the islands.

But be careful, a lot of the diesel pumps here are yellow...so yep, take a minute to triple check before putting that pump into the truck.
rforestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHener84 View Post
My question is, in order to not circle the station with the trailer, is there any easy way to know which pumps have diesel and which are smaller nozzle ahead of time.
More often than not, diesel pumps are the one's with green plastic handles. Gas is usually black or yellow...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #49

Like I said depends where you are.
In southern Ontario diesel is either yellow (most stations) or green...depending on the brand of the station.
Gas is almost always black
rforestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #50

you'll get used to looking for diesel

Good advise so far - My 2 cents:
Diesel usually on the outside pumps.
Unless it's a big wide open station, I do a drive by and look at getting in and back out.
Most roofs over the pumps are way up there now, but I ran into (or almost did) a roof that would have rubbed my AC right off - had to back out of the fuel bay.
Easiest is to do your 250-300 miles, set up, unhook and go get fuel.
If my next stop is more than my fuel range, I fill my 5 gallon can strapped in the pickup bed - usually I make it, but nice to know that I can extend by 60 - 75 miles if needed.
ordinary88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #51

I wouldn’t worry too much about it as with time and a little experience getting diesel will be second nature. I got our first diesel Ford Excursion back in 2004 and have owned a diesel ever since including our 44’ long coach. I also pull a 32’ long enclosed trailer with our F250 Super Duty so understand your concerns. You will get very good at learning which brand stations to avoid and which one typically have the easiest access. Take it slow and until your get more comfortable don’t wait until you are so low on fuel you must get more at the first station you try to stop at. I’ve bypassed many stations and even had to get back on the highway to find one that had easier access. As far as the inherent typically more messy diesel pumps and keeping the diesel smell off your hands, I keep inexpensive one use gloves in all our diesel vehicles. Just put them on before I start filling and toss them away before I leave. All big box stores sell them. One other tip, never assume an exit or town down the road will have diesel available! Learned that right away with our first diesel. Watched the miles to empty and planned our stop only to pull into the station and see bags on the diesel pumps! Went down the road and pulled into the next station we saw and they didn’t sell diesel! Ended up being about 40 more miles before the next station that had diesel. Fine to push the range in areas you are familiar with but don’t do it in uncharted territory. Run a modern diesel out of fuel and it’s and expensive and lengthy experience getting fuel back in the system and the engine running again.
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to SkipperJupp
Diesel nozzle size

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHener84 View Post
So at the end of last season I got a new diesel TV and also upgraded my trailer from a pop-up to a Hybrid TT. Near my house, some of the gas stations are set up really stupid for diesel, and of course none are pay at pump either. In two and a half weeks I'm going on my first real trip. Going to be fueling away from home base, with the trailer. My truck takes the smaller nozzle, I can make the bigger one work, and I bought the adapter on Amazon, which had mixed reviews(doesn't auto stop, can splash back)

My question is, in order to not circle the station with the trailer, is there any easy way to know which pumps have diesel and which are smaller nozzle ahead of time. The stations near my house it's hard to tell until it's too late. This is mostly going to apply to TA's or Pilot's on the highways.
Here is what I do:
I NEVER leave home unless tank is full. I also carry 18 gal in canisters in the storage bay. That gives me a 2 day at 250 mi/ea. range and I don't have to fuel at the big stations. With my toad I can fill up the canisters if needed and make it home easily after a weeks trip.
Interstates I hate and this way I can fuel up anywhere I want.
SkipperJupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #53

No biggie. We travel the country & never worry about where the diesel is. Most of the time the diesel is at the end islands in the small vehicle side of a truck stop station. Makes it easier for all of the diesel delivery vans etc.

The biggest problem will be finding cars occupying the island where there is diesel & gas. A real nuisance when there are all the other gas only islands that they could use. The car drivers don't think or don't care.

We don't make a special effort but we do stop & fill without the trailer quite often.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #54

What kind of truck does OP have that does not take the high volume diesel pump?
When pulling a 43' 5er the last thing I want is to be using a gas station with cars running about and getting gas at the diesel pump as well. I use the semi-lanes at the truck stops.
Get a 'RV Plus Card' from Pilot/F-J and no need to go inside, diesel and DEF at the pump.
Why not have an AUX fuel tank? An extra 20 - 100 gallons makes fewer stops for fuel.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Picked up my 1st diesel today. Nervous about going to the pump and filling it up with regular gas
That has been done before! No names.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #56

I don't need much, I knew I wanted to get a bigger trailer, came across an amazing deal on a "new" (long story but I am the first owner) 2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro 4x with the 5.0 Cummins.
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel