Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcan View Post
I will be investing in a good WDH, with sway control etc. It seems like that is not a good place to go cheap on.
Right.

Reese males good hitches and cheap hitches. DO NOT get a cheap Reese. If Reese is your brand, then be sure the hitch is the Strait-Line which includes dual-cam sway control.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66084

Husky also makes a good hitch as well as some cheap hitches. DO NOT get a cheap Husky. If Husky is your brand, then get the Husky CenterLine
hitch.

Hitch head: http://www.amazon.com/Husky-31390-Ce...VY1G9X7P01QXKS

1.200 pound spring bars: Amazon.com: Husky 31512 Center Line Spring Bar - (801 lb. to 1200 lb. Tongue Weight Capacity): Automotive

Blue Ox doesn't make cheap hitches, So if you want a Blue Ox, then get the SwayPro. Generally, the SwayPro will probably cost you a bit more than the other three hitches mentioned.
Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution w/ Sway Control - Clamp On - Trunnion - 10,000 GTW, 1,000 TW Blue Ox Weight Distribution BXW1000

Equal-I-Zer also doesn't make cheap hitches. So any Equal-I-Zer with the correct weight spec will be fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-90...MT1JMGEZ9YV1NS

For sizing, ignore trailer weight and concentrate on tongue weight. Assume 15% tongue weight, so you want a hitch rated for at least 15% of 7,000 pounds, or 1,050 pounds tongue weight That's more than 1,000 pounds, so go for the hitch rated for 1,200 pounds of tongue weight. Except Blue Ox jumps from 1,000 pound spring bars to 1,500 pound spring bars. So if you go with Blue Ox, then get the 1000, and try to limit tongue weight to not more than 1,000 pounds.

It's okay if you buy a hitch rated for more than the estimated tongue weight of your loaded trailer. My small TT has about 650 pounds wet and loaded tongue weight, and I tow it with a ProPride hitch rated for up to 1,400 pounds tongue weight. I simply tighten the spring bars only as tight as needed for my tongue weight.

Note that all 4 of the above hitches list for around $1,000, and you can order them from discount internet sources for around $550 to $650, including the required adjustable shank.. If you find one that includes the required adjustable shank for less than $500, you're looking at a cheap hitch, so keep shopping. I've seen the Reese Strait-Line for less than $500, but close reading of the fine print shows that it doesn't include the shank at that price. Add about $120 to that price to get the adjustable shank, or find a part number that includes the shank.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Right.

Husky also makes a good hitch as well as some cheap hitches. DO NOT get a cheap Husky. If Husky is your brand, then get the Husky CenterLine
hitch.
-----------------------
X2
I am very satisfied with my choice of Husky Centerline. I researched them all and found for "me" the Centerline is easy to hitch/unhitch, 4 point friction sway control, no spring bar chains to adjust, can back up in fairly sharp turns without unhitching, very quiet, and I do not have sway issues with wind gusts from big rigs. Besides keeping focused on all of the other towing setup complexities, consider my 2015 Wilderness TT has "spread axles" that assists in adverse towing conditions.
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 AM   #17

I'm thinking of getting the Equilizer, in the 1200lb model.
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Remember not all that long ago all the Auto Companies were running commercials where their small pickups were towing loads that would give a Semi-Tractor pause and they were yammering about how strong their trucks were... Well they can tow immense loads.. On a closed course, at very low speed. But do not try it in real life situations.

The next thing you need to know is the definition of PROBLEM to a salesman. To a salesman there is one and only one problem.... You walking out the door without a signature on the contract.

So if you ask him "Can my way too small truck tow this way too big trailer" he will say "NO PROBLEM" because to him.. that is not a problem. epically if you put your signature on the line. (He is telling the truth from his standpoint,, it's your problem, not his).

You are doing the right thing by researching online as you might actually find truth here.. It seems you have a decent handle on it.

If you want a truck that CAN tow the trailer (I do not care what trailer you choose. Biggest Voltage made.. NO PROBLEM) See if you can track down Trail-Haulers.. I used to have a link to Wil-Ro trucks but alas it's not working last I( checked.. Their trucks can do the juob.

(Peterbuilt Semi Tractors rigged for RV towing).

Beleive it or not, not all rv sales people are bad.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Equalizer hitches are great.. I have the 1000lb unit on my my little TT... Thing is rock solid behind the old goat.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:

X2, I used the Equalizer/ 12000lb on my last TT. It was 35' and weighted 9500lbs. Towed very well with the Equalizer.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tow, towing