Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #1

New to travel [ sort of]

When I was younger I traveled to construction jobs and mostly lived in travel trailers. I had a 20 foot pull trailer that was easy to move, easy to park, and could be pulled by anything I had.
I also had a 40 foot gooseneck that had living quarters in front and an office in the rear. It was heavy, hard to maneuver, and could only be pulled by a 1 ton or larger pickup. You had to be sure they had a space big enough before taking it.
That was 40 years ago.
Now I'm recently retired, and looking for a pull trailer or 5th wheel.
I'm wanting to keep the total length under 50' from trailer bumper to truck front bumper. That length will fit most places we want to go.
With a bumper pull that means about 30' max.
is there any chart of how long I could go in a 5th wheel and still be under 50' total?
All the manufactures info I read is not very helpful, Some give the box length, some give overall length, but none give the bumper to pin measurement.
Bumper pull manufactures are not much better. Thanks DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #2

I have a quad cab longbed and 34' 5th wheel
Truck is 19'
5vr overhang roughly 3.5'
Overall length approximately 50.5'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #3

I have a crew cab long bed dually. Truck is 22' with the push bar. 5th wheel trailer is called a 29' but measures right at 31'10" or so, plus or minus 2". Hooked up, the unit is 50' on the dot.

You're correct, it does fit in almost anywhere. I finally found a campsite that I could not fit in last week, so we camped on the roadside one night. Bad campground layout was the issue there.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #4

Never seen a chart but never had a problem backing my 41 ft fifth wheel into a 40 ft site with my crew cab, long bed truck AS LONG AS there was plenthy of clearance to swing my truck front end, which has required my neighbors to move there vehicles temporarily while I parked it. Otherwise, I often select a pull through site,
Old 08-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #5

I know it varies a little bit but almost every 5th wheel I've come across had the pin situated right close to even with the front of the trailer. The specified length of the trailer, add a foot for its bumper, and the distance between the truck's front bumper and the hitch should get you pretty close. My guess would be that a crew cab and a 30 foot 5th wheel would be really close.

On a bumper pull, a brochure's specified length is normally the length of the livable space. This is what a brochure or website might show. Doesn't include the tongue or rear bumper. Of course you should confirm this if working with a dealership or owner as they may give the total length.

Like a 5th wheel, there won't be a lot of variance between models. Getting the tongue length from one unit will probably suffice. This (I'd bet around 4 or 5 feet), a foot for the rear bumper, and the livable length should get you pretty close to the total length of the trailer. Add the truck and you're done.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
To offer additional anecdotal evidence, the setup in my signature below I measured right at 51.0' and is entered as such in my Garmin settings.

Short-bed crew-cab previous gen GM, 34'10" RV, pin dead center over rear axle.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks, that tells me I need to be at 30' or less in a BP and 32 or 33' in a 5th wheel.
I live near Yosemite NP, and they have length restrictions, some of their campgrounds are 40' or less. Have you run into others that have length restrictions? DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR60 View Post
...I live near Yosemite NP, and they have length restrictions, some of their campgrounds are 40' or less. Have you run into others that have length restrictions? DR
I'm still relatively new to RV camping myself, but in my experience so far--gov run parks can be very literal in site lengths/restrictions. IOW if they say the campground/site is 40', they ain't kidding. The sites/pads are likely gonna be that short there.

At private parks, however, they seem to often take into account your tow/towed vehicle and only crosscheck site availability based on RV type/length itself. IOW if you reserve a site for a 35' fifth wheel, the site is large enough for you to park your tow/towed vehicle on the pad in front of, behind, or beside your RV.

Again, the above certainly aren't hard and fast rules to go by, but that has been my experience, and you do need to be aware of site length restrictions before reserving or heading out.

In short, yes, lots of gov and private campgrounds have length restrictions, mostly by individual site but sometimes for the whole camp area also as you noted.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #9

We tow a 31ft tt with a mega cab lb. dually.
Total Is 54 ft we also have a prius..we havnt been
Turned away yet...once we had to use overflow
Parking for our TV but generally we can squeeze it all in with a little planning and tight parking..
Our truck is 22ft.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel