Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #15

This is what I found: still sounds like a good idea to use one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201222-144402_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	312126
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Research it. You'll see.
I did it. 600 on the hitch receiver, 2020 F250 squatted 1-3/4”. Everyone flash their high beam at me when I tow from storage to home without WDH. Try it yourself.
Blinding incoming traffic is as dangerous as tow with an inadequate vehicle.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #17

I don't have that problem even with 900 lbs, but if I did the solution would not be to remove weight from the rear axle. It can be solved more safely with a load levelling air suspension system. Or simply adjust the headlights.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
This is what I found: still sounds like a good idea to use one.

Attachment 312126
It doesn't surprise me that a trailer dealer would promote the use of a w/d hitch. He can sell someone a bigger trailer that way, and he can make some money on the hitch. I would rather trust what the automotive engineers have come up with. That is, it is always better to have a bigger tow vehicle without the use of a WD hitch than a small tow vehicle that needs a WD hitch.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
moveon - I don't believe what you posted is actually 100% true. Not even 50% true and maybe zero %.
I agree. Weight distribution may not be needed in this case if the op goes 3/4 ton. Depends on how much he intends to load the bed also. But I would never tow a travel trailer long distances without sway control. Why not do it right and get a wd with built in sway control and not set the weight distribution up to distribute much weight? Either way cheap and safe insurance imo.
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #20

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me that a trailer dealer would promote the use of a w/d hitch. He can sell someone a bigger trailer that way, and he can make some money on the hitch. I would rather trust what the automotive engineers have come up with. That is, it is always better to have a bigger tow vehicle without the use of a WD hitch than a small tow vehicle that needs a WD hitch.
I currently have air bags and think there great. However there is simply no denying the science of weight distribution and how critical it is with heavy tongue weights. Adding airbags doesn't change or make a vehicles tow rating any higher. It simply levels the truck. In this case I tend to agree the if the op goes 3/4 ton with this trailer that wd may not help much but sway control is always something good to have. May not need it 99% of the time. But the one time you do it can be a savior.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #21

Popcorn. Advise on not to install a weight distribution hitch with anti sway. This is going to be great.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #22

The problem with having a sway control device is that it can hide the problem that causes uncontrollable sway, i.e., a badly loaded trailer, until it's too late. Then the sway controll device won't help you. It's better to be able to feel if something is wrong. Then you can stop and fix it. Also, most sway control/WD devices have the fundamental problem that they extend the distance from the axle to the hitch point. This gives the trailer more leverage over the tow vehicle which will make it easier to jackknife in a hard turn.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #23

Everyone can make the decision for themselves. Personally I won’t pull my trailer which is way under any weight capacity of my 3/4 ton without the WDH. I feel it pulls much be with it than without. I even had one of those cheap supplied by the trailer dealer Chinese piece of crap WDH. The best thing that ever happened was it got stolen. Moved onto a blue ox swaypro. Do I need it? Nope but my ass and a few million miles of driving experience tells me it’s better with it.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #24

I used a Drawtite WD hitch. It really helped tying the trailer to the truck. It was definitely less bouncy which made it feel more secure.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:59 AM   #25

I had a curt wd hitch with my toy hauler and 2019 f250. Loved it. As others said, made the trailer suoer stable or safe should I say.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #26

Id suggest 3/4 ton gas myself. Nothing wrong with a little extra beef. The 99-16 superdutys are actually physically larger inside than the f150s and most other trucks for that matter. In most cases with the dodges and chevys the 3/4 ton will have the same footprint as a 1/2 ton. You wont have to worry about piling in a bunch of firewood or taking tools and being overweight. I could get away with a 1 ton srw and be under my axle ratings, but the dually gives me an extra 1300lbs axle capacity so if i want to take something, i toss it in.

As far as weight distribution, it depends on the hitch class. The class v hitches can handle that much as load carrying, the class iv hitches are only rated for like 600lbs weight carrying. I used a wd hitch with my bumper pull on my dually because it needed it for the hitch rating.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #27

Sinbad, I'm getting rid of my '16 F150 Lariat Ultimate FX4 Max Tow bla bla bla. Really nice truck with only 31K miles but not enough truck for our 7500-8500 lb trailer. It tows OK but it just doesn't feel safe at times (despite the Equalizer hitch) and since we spend a lot of time in the mountains it works rather hard on the big grades. Get a 3/4 ton.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #28

Quote:
You should not use a WD hitch unless your rear axle is overloaded. If it is, the best solution is to get a bigger tow vehicle. WD hitches tend to destabilize the tow vehicle. As for sway, a properly loaded 7000 lb trailer will not sway when pulled by a 3/4 ton truck as long as you don't use weight distribution. Taking weight off the rear axle is not recommended.
So unloading the front of the truck is okay?"
Just because the rear squats to what seems okay doesn't mean the front of the truck is still good.

I've used a WDH with all my trucks. I tow a 9600 lb TT that has a 1350 lb TW.
My 3500 has 4552 pounds for payload and 7000 RAWR with a Cummins sitting over the front axles. The trucks front still goes up almost 1" I use 2000 lb spring bars to bring it back down.

I think you need to do some research on setting up WDH's and why they're needed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote